New Build *Revised*

computernewbie

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
So i've put some consideration on what im going to put for my new build, and heres what i got

Antec 1200

i7 920 D0 stepping

EVGA Triple-SLI X58

1000 W Corsair PSU, or the 1000W Antec PSU, both are good, but the antec does seem better, need suggestions

4890 Atomic in CF

Heatsink, V10 is shiny, but doesent work as good as its price, was thinking the TRUE might be better, as benchmarks may show

10,000 RPM velociraptor 300 GB HDD, people have told me the newest 7000 rpm new HDD are faster than the velociraptors, so im stuck

Thats pretty much what i picked out, sorry for no links.
Other stuff i do need help choosing with, Blue-ray optical drive, keyboard + mouse (and like, top-of-the-line keyboard and mouse, for gaming :D), a MONITOR!! At a 1920x1200 resolution, hopefully, i mean theres not much of a difference between 1920x1020 and 1920x1200 is there. And memory, prolly at 1600/1333 with a low CAS latency, i can't figure out which one to choose, because they all pretty much seem the same to me, and it doesent make any differenece during gaming, but something that's atleast fast for web surfing.

i saw some guy post under the reviews for the antec 1200 that you can get an extra fan, can you? and i do think thats all for now.

computernewbie

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
wth is up with tomshardware and that message after posting? i just triple posted -.- and why cant i delete these posts, seriously, i posted them, i should be able to delete them...

/sigh - best you can do is edit the dupes to say "Error" or some such.

- What makes you say "1000 W Corsair PSU, or the 1000W Antec PSU, both are good, but the antec does seem better"

- 1000W psu prolly not necessary, 850W is plenty even for 3x4890.

- You said "people have told me the newest 7000 rpm new HDD are faster than the velociraptors". I've "heard" the speeds are so close there's no point in paying for Velociraptors. Ask them for clarification.

The HD reviews I've seen say that the newer 1-1.5 TB drives (Like the WD 1TB black drive) APPROACH velociraptor speeds and so since you are getting so much more gigs of room it makes more sense money-wise to get the bigger drives.

It would depend on the application, but some folks swear by the raptors for gaming.

I have the Logitech G-11 keyboard and use a MX518 mouse. They are both nice for gaming, I have heard nice things about the G-15 from logitech. They have an even newer model (G-18?21?) for $200 but I hear its a waste of money.

You can find the G-11 for about $50, maybe even cheaper now.. I got mine on sale at Target about a year ago. Yep, the egg couldn't beat good ole target that time!

Latest posts