Fans spin up, not much else

agroupofletters

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2009
This is my first time building a computer and obviously i've run into some problems.

I have a brand new mobo, cpu (stock intel heatsink and fan), ram, PS and am using a less than 1 year old 8600gt graphics card, and less than 3 month old wd hard drive.

I managed to put everything together in what i thought was the right way but then when i went to power it on the fans spun for about 12 seconds, all the lights on the case lit up, so did the light on my optical drive and i was able to open and close the tray, but then it just shut off, and a few seconds went by then it would do the same thing over and over until i shut off the power supply. I' tried removing the cpu and heat sink and when i did that the computer stayed on but i didn't get any output on my monitor. I know it's probably a very stupid question but does a computer still post without a processor? i figured id get some type of bios screen. So now i'm thinking that both my processor and video card are bad. Can anyone with some experience give me some advice?

agroupofletters

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2009
This is my first time building a computer and obviously i've run into some problems.

I have a brand new mobo, cpu (stock intel heatsink and fan), ram, PS and am using a less than 1 year old 8600gt graphics card, and less than 3 month old wd hard drive.

I managed to put everything together in what i thought was the right way but then when i went to power it on the fans spun for about 12 seconds, all the lights on the case lit up, so did the light on my optical drive and i was able to open and close the tray, but then it just shut off, and a few seconds went by then it would do the same thing over and over until i shut off the power supply. I' tried removing the cpu and heat sink and when i did that the computer stayed on but i didn't get any output on my monitor. I know it's probably a very stupid question but does a computer still post without a processor? i figured id get some type of bios screen. So now i'm thinking that both my processor and video card are bad. Can anyone with some experience give me some advice?

IH8U

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
What power supply do you have? Have you tried to boot the system while it is outside the case? Check all power connections. Specifically the 4 pin CPU power connection. Attempt to boot with 1 stick of RAM. Also you reseated the Heat Sink, did you re-apply thermal paste? Does the motherboard have onboard GFX? as it could be defaulting to the onboard (kinda hard to tell without more info).

I know it's probably a very stupid question but does a computer still post without a processor?

No

I' tried removing the cpu and heat sink and when i did that the computer stayed on but i didn't get any output on my monitor.

I hope you didn't do that with the machine powered up did you?

If you pulled the CPU with the computer powered up, theres no telling what damage has been done to it!

You can Check;

You only had M/B mounting studs for the exact M/B holes on the M/B right, any others without a screw location have been removed right?

Is your CPU heatsink fan spinning and plugged into the proper CPU Fan M/B Header, if it isn't it will auto shut down, I had a CPU cooling fan once with a bad RPM sensor wire, the fan was spinning but not telling th M/B it was, resulting in auto shutdown.

You'll have to Clear the CMOS to be able to proceed, but check all the power connections, pull and reseat the GPU and Memory modules, first and follow your manuals instructions for clearing the CMOS.

Lavarin

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
No. The motherboard will turn the system on, but nothing will appear, and POST won't occur. I suspect though there's something wrong with your power supply, or at least the wall socket you're plugged into.

nowwhatnapster

Distinguished
May 13, 2008
no a pc wont post without a processor.

Make sure your powersupply switch is set to 115volts not 240volts.

unplug the HDD, excess fans, cd drive. try starting it up again.

reseat every cable to make sure you put it in properly. make sure you didnt miss an important cable.

It is possible you have a bad part, but there are many other possibilties.

What CPU and what mobo did you get? the mobo may not support your CPU right out of the box. it may require a bios update.

If your mobo has onboard video, use that instead of the gfx card, or find a spare working gfx card.

those are a few starters, give em a shot.

TRENDING THREADS