How can I defrag a hard drive using dos

Hello,
I have a hard drive that works sometimes. I having trouble finding a Dos program that might help be get a more usable drive. I have a Dell Inspiron 9300 laptop. I only have access through my CD drive or a bootable flash. Please how can I do this?
3 answers Last reply
More about defrag hard drive
  1. degrag C: / f without spaces between words.

http://www.easydos.com/defrag.html
  2. If the hard drive only works sometimes, you may have a more serious problem than fragmentation. You should look for a disk diagnostic in your Dell support and run that.
  3. Wheeler81 said:
    Hello,
    I have a hard drive that works sometimes. I having trouble finding a Dos program that might help be get a more usable drive. I have a Dell Inspiron 9300 laptop. I only have access through my CD drive or a bootable flash. Please how can I do this?

If it is intermittently working, it may be failing.

Back up the important files from it before it fails and then try the following procedure to determine if it is failing and how toi revive it before it actually dies:

000. Print these directions so you can refer to them.

00. Do not work on the PC till it is off and the power cable is unplugged. When handling the drive itself, you MUST discharge any static electricity you have built up. Simply touch something metallic before touching the drive and periodically while working on it (if you experience a slight shock when touching metal, that's static electricity. The shock discharges it)

0. First ensure it really is dead:
    a. Disconnect and reconnect all cables and try it to see if it now works;
    b. Test the cables on a working drive to verify they are not faulty;
    c. Connect the drive to a working PC and see if it shows up and is accessible;
    d. If any of the above steps prove the drive is working, then post that info so you can be helped for that issue.
    e. If a-c indicate the drive is not functioning, you can assume it is dead. proceed with the next steps.

1. Carefully remove the drive. Don't open the drive itself, just remove it from the PC case. (if the drive is still under warranty, call the manufacturer and whine like crazy about your data till they agree to recover it and transfer it to the replacement drive. I mean really WHINE and ask for supervisor after supervisor -- don't threaten leagal action or become belligerant, WHINE till they give you what you want. If not under warranty, go to step 2).

2. Place the drive into a plastic ZipLock baggie and zip it ensuring to remove as much air as possible in the process.

3. With the baggie completely zipped, place the drive in the freezer (position it so that it does not fall or will have anything placed on it -- keep it safe from damage while in the freezer).

4. Let it freeze over night -- one full day if possible.

5. Remove the drive from the freezer and carefully place in the refrigerator to thaw it out slowly. Leave it in fridge for a day (at least overnight).

6. Take the drive out of the fridge and let it sit in a safe place at normal room temperature for about 30 minutes.

7. Install the drive, reconnecting all cables, etc.

8. Connect it to the computer. In my experience, 8 out of 10 drives will revive and be usable.

9. Immediately copy your data to the back drive asap. Don't wait, do it NOW. About half of the drives I have revived like this died again at some point in the future (weeks or months later) and the others still go on. I do not trust revived drives however, so back it up immediately.

10. Once all backed up, reformat the revived drive (this will wipe everything clean and it will be set up for re-use. Don't use it for anything important though as it could fail again). With a little luck, this routine should handle your situation -- it has been VERY successful for me....

The main reason for hard drive failure is overuse of the drive. It is mechanical, and after a certain amount of use it will wear out (that's why freezing it resolves most failures -- it expands and contracts the moving parts enough to free them up so it functions again).

You've probably heard of "fragmentation" and that you should "defragment" your disk drives, but why?

Fragmentation is basically broken-up pieces of files and free space randomly scattered all over your disk. The disk has to work MUCH harder to save files in pieces and then to find all the pieces again.

This really slows your computer down, but it also wears out your disk: the more the disk is used, the faster it wears out.

Each piece written is one more disk use than would be used if files were written in one piece. Each piece found is one more disk usage than would be needed if files were in one piece.

Some files are broken into thousands of pieces, so writing such a file would mean thousands more disk uses than needed and the same goes for accessing the files later on.

Many disks have tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of files and the vast majority of these will be fragmented.

Do the math.

Basic defragmenting finds all the pieces of a file and puts them together, saving time.

Windows has a built-in defrag tool, but it is not meant for heavy use. Many users complain it can be very slow and that the PC cannot be used while it is running (some users with large disks complain that it did not completely defrag their disks despite running all night).

Below is a Top 10 Reviews side-by-side comparison of the best defrag programs around: http://disk-defragmenter-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

Read the review, select a defrag program and install it. The better defrag programs are automatic. The gold medal winner in the above review was able to defrag while using the PC and it also prevents fragmentation.

Defragment your disk drives regularly -- it will extend your disks life. The best defrag programs are very fast. You will be able to see the progress and with the gold medalist, you can use the PC while it is working with no problems so you don't have to remember to defrag, etc.

Good luck!

Bill R TechSpec
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives DOS Defragment Storage