Sign in with
Your question

Problem booting XP

Last response: in Motherboards
December 30, 2009 8:58:47 PM

My machine came with Win 7. I connected a secondary drive on IDE and installed Win XP. I set bios to boot to XP, but system boots to Win 7. I can not make it boot to XP.
I have tried with and without jumpers on IDE drive. Someone suggested using maxblast 5, but that did not address the issue.

How do I configure so that I can boot either drive?

More about : problem booting

a c 435 V Motherboard
December 30, 2009 10:41:24 PM

There is a way to install windows 7 on your xp drive without losing your files. Then you can make the ide drive the secondary drive. The info is on microsoft's website. But I believe this requires the pro or ultimate version of 7 to use the virtualization program.
a c 292 V Motherboard
December 31, 2009 12:57:07 AM

Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

Download and use Vista boot pro or dual boot pro, with this program you can add the XP boot option to your initial screen.
Related resources
December 31, 2009 10:09:59 PM

Solved,

Thank you all!

Here's what happens.

My new machine has Win 7 loaded. I install XP drive thinking that bios will allow me to switch to either drive in order to boot.

Instead, with XP drive installed, I have to reinstall Win 7!

Then, when I boot up I am given the choice of which drive to boot to:

- old operating system
- Win 7
January 7, 2010 1:15:17 PM

Umm, you didn't mention of what M/B you are using here. Which Window 7 are you using? Also which 32/64 bit are you using? Now you mention of XP, Are you using Old XP ? Why doing that when they have the XP mode for setup in the Window 7?
!