Budget Cooler for a i5-2500k

XxH34dshotxX

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
Hello Tom's Hardware!

I am just about ready to order my parts however I need some advice... I've never built a computer before so I'm a little concerned about CPU cooling. I've read that soemtimes CPU coolers get in the way of the RAM slots and this scared me! I don't plan to do any major overclocking if I even OC at all...

Basically, I need a CPU cooler that is budget (no more then $60 I hope!) what will fit with my Intel i5-2500K CPU, HAF 932 Case (MASSIVE), Corsair Vengeance 8GB RAM and a GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 Motherboard. I was looking at the Thermaletake FRIO and Hyper 212+ for my RIG however the FRIO is massive so my RAM may not fit and they both say they only support 1156 not 1155!

Help/Advice is extremely appreciated! Thanks!

Solution
Hyper 212+ does most certainly fit Socket 1155.

Its a great budget cooler but yes size can be an issue. Since your using a HAF X you should have no problem with the height of the 212+ (yes its HUGE).

However more than likely the 212 will block the first RAM slot. As long as your using 2 sticks of 4GB RAM you can use slots 2/4 (which are usually recommended anyway) the RAM and Heatsink will all fit in with no problems. If you do ever decide to add more ram and wish to fill all of the RAM slots, low profile RAM would more than likely be required.

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
Hyper 212+ does most certainly fit Socket 1155.

Its a great budget cooler but yes size can be an issue. Since your using a HAF X you should have no problem with the height of the 212+ (yes its HUGE).

However more than likely the 212 will block the first RAM slot. As long as your using 2 sticks of 4GB RAM you can use slots 2/4 (which are usually recommended anyway) the RAM and Heatsink will all fit in with no problems. If you do ever decide to add more ram and wish to fill all of the RAM slots, low profile RAM would more than likely be required.

Solution

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
Just to add to that aswell; If you dont plan on Overclocking at all, the Heatsink/Fan supplied with the Motherboard will work just fine, saving you some money. However if you do plan to OC, id recommend going for a third party cooler.

XxH34dshotxX

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
Thanks a lot for the info! That settles a lot of concern for me! The thing is I'm not sure if I want to OC or not but I wouldn't want to dismantle my computer all over again to add the cooler in the future. I think i'll go with the Hyper 212+.