Sign in with
Your question

Need help with the setting the BIOS

Last response: in Motherboards
December 30, 2009 9:34:31 PM

Hi guys. I've just upgraded my system, and the BIOS on this system is a whole new world to me.

I got this system:

Gigabyte P55-UD4P
Core i5
HD5850
2x2GB Kingston HyperX PC3-16000

I could really use some help with setting the most optimal BIOS settings. Are there anything I should turn on or off?

Thanks.

More about : setting bios

a c 248 V Motherboard
December 31, 2009 1:49:29 PM

In general, leave everything at default unless you have a specific reason to change.

If you want to use a SSD with trim support and windows-7, then pick AHCI instead of raid or ide for the sata mode. That will use the w7 drivers which can pass on the trim commands.

Do not udate the bios unless you have a specific problem that a new bios addresses. A bad flash can cripple your motherboard.
January 1, 2010 1:12:28 PM

I have no problems at the moment. And I dont have a SSD, so I'll just leave that at default :) 

What about that power-saving mode? It seems that my motherboard "down clocks" my CPU in idle. Is that a bad thing performance wise?
Related resources
a c 248 V Motherboard
January 1, 2010 3:05:31 PM

I think power savings mode is a good idea. It ramps up immediately if needed. If installing a new OS, I recommend you pick AHCI up front. It gives you more options which are hard to change w/o reinstall later.
January 1, 2010 7:39:21 PM

I've already installed a new OS, but I'll try a google and get explained what that AHCI means.

So you dont think I should touch it? What about my RAM? I think the reason why they are down clocked are because of the volt. They are normally 1.7v but it says 1.5 in CPU-z. Should I turn them back up to 1.7?

Oh, and shouldnt I be overclocking this setup? I mean, I've read alot of places that people are getting alot of "free" mhz out of this CPU, without even changing the volts.
a c 248 V Motherboard
January 1, 2010 8:35:56 PM

Leave your ram where it is. If you overclock it by adding voltage, the ram will operate faster. But... that will not translate into any more FPS, perhaps 1% more. As to the i5, upping the BCLK a bit is OK, but most games will not run any faster. Multi core enabled and cpu bound games like FSX or supreme commander are exceptions. Turn on the task monitor and observe how much of the cpu you use. Overclock only if your usage is high.
January 1, 2010 9:25:22 PM

Thanks alot geo. My CPU usage is only around 4-10% when I'm browsing. I'll check the next time I'm gaming what its at, but I dont think its much.

Do you know why my RAM are running slower? Is it because their volts are so high, so the motherboard turned them down to 1.5 and sacrificing some performance to maintain stability?
a c 248 V Motherboard
January 1, 2010 11:06:13 PM

PF85 said:
Thanks alot geo. My CPU usage is only around 4-10% when I'm browsing. I'll check the next time I'm gaming what its at, but I dont think its much.

Do you know why my RAM are running slower? Is it because their volts are so high, so the motherboard turned them down to 1.5 and sacrificing some performance to maintain stability?

1600 ram is usually 1333 ram that is of higher quality and can be overclocked. It will run at 1333 and 1.5v by default, which is good. You need to be able to get into bios to be able to up the voltage so that it will run at it's increased(rated) speed. The maximum voltage for ram on nehalem processors is 1.65v. DO NOT go above this number or you can permanently damage your processor.
January 2, 2010 9:20:08 AM

Thanks. Should I just leave them be, or turn them up for performance?
a c 248 V Motherboard
January 2, 2010 11:31:30 AM

I would leave them be.

Run memtest86+ for a full pass to verify that they are stable.

To satisfy yourself, you can try to improve their performance, but I doubt that you will be able to tell the difference in FPS.
January 2, 2010 11:41:15 AM

I'll leave them be then. Its just annoying that when I've bought PC3-16000 that it shows up as PC3-10700
January 2, 2010 5:21:18 PM

PF85 said:
I'll leave them be then. Its just annoying that when I've bought PC3-16000 that it shows up as PC3-10700

PF85,

I have been using the same MB since late October. I have used at least six versions of the BIOS. The board came with F3 but Win 7 could not complete the Experience Rating with it. One of the F4 betas corrected that problem. F4 probably is the best so far. F5 sucks and F6 is F5, but fixed.

Your memory runs at 1066 because most of the memory makers use this lower speed in their SPD's to maximize compatability and to minimize support calls. Your BIOS will allow you to change this easily. Just open the Advanced Frequency Settings and then click on the System Memory Multipier line. Select "10" if you want 1333 or "12" if you want 1600. The BIOS will automatically adjust the voltage and timings. I use "10" (1333) because it keeps the same timings at 7-7-7-19 as 1066 but it increase the volts from 1.52V to 1.568V. At 1600, the BIOS reduced the timings to 8-8-8- 22 @1.62 V. The system runs fine with either setting. I do not bother with memtest unless I have a problem with the memory. If your timings are too tight or your voltage is too low, you system will tell you.

The only other "performance" change I recommend is to make sure "turbo" is set on Enabled rather than Auto. Enabled is supposed to be the defualt but some of the BIOS versions set it at Auto.

The M.I.T. Current Status page is the best one use to check your multipliers, voltages and other memory settings.

Using the defaults will allow your system to run but you should go through the Integrated Peripherals and PC Health pages to optimize it . The Peripheral settings have many things enabled that you probably do not have. The instruction booklet explains these items and you should not have much trouble figuring out what to disable.
January 2, 2010 5:28:46 PM

whisper2 > Thanks alot. I'll grab my manual and give it a read. I think I'll try and do that to my memory, and see what happend. But only run it at 1333. And I'll be sure to enable Turbo mode.

Thanks for a very explaining reply :) 
January 2, 2010 5:51:31 PM

PF85,
You are welcome. Check the memory voltage and timings on the MIT Status page before you change, then try the other two memory speeds and compare the changes in voltage and timings. You may find 1600 better for your system, depending upon how the BIOS handles the timings. Intel states that you can go up to 1.65V.

I have OCZ Gold 1600 8-8-8-24. The BIOS could handle your brand differently. How it decides what to use is a mystery. I do know that it does not use the SPD for these speeds -- because they are not provided.
January 2, 2010 7:47:41 PM

whisper2.

I tried those settings. It def. Did not like that :) 

First things first:

BIOS is F2.

I couldnt run the SPD at 12, only 10. And when I did that, it said:

10 = Memory Frequency = 1333 - 1600

I then tried to boot up with those settings, and it wouldnt. I then reset and it said, when I went into the BIOS:

The system has experienced boot failures because of overclocking or changes of voltages. Last settings on this page may not coincede with current H/W states.

I then changed the things back, and rebooted. It then came up with the same message, but during POST this time and with a little note:

Current CPU speed: 2.66Ghz
Current BCLK: 130Mhz
Current Memory speed: 1333 Mhz.

CPU-z still says PC3-10700 and so does EasyTune6.

What happened? :D 
January 2, 2010 8:50:37 PM

PF85,

Sorry you are having problems with the changes. I suspect what happened is an illustration of why Gigabyte has posted a large number of BIOS updates newer than yours. I urge you to update to F6. The common advice of not updating is fine for MB and chipsets that have been around for a while. But our boards and chipsets were just introduced around three months ago. It is normal for a lot of updates with the new products after issues are uncovered as more users and components use the new MB.

Gigabyte has made it very easy to update the BIOS. Here is how (use your book, too):

1) Download F6 from Gigabytes website:

http://www.gigabyte.us/Products/Motherboard/Products_Ov...

2) Doubleclick the file to unpack three files.

3) Copy the three unpacked files to a freshly formatted USB flash memory (or floppy).

4) Activate "Q Flash" by using the "End" key as the system boots or the F8 key if you enter set-up.

5) Select the disk (flash is considered HHD) and file -- the one that ends in F6

6) Follow the instructions -- there are only a few.

7) Enter Set-up after reboot and select "Load optimized Defaults"

It is actually easier that writing this.

Then try your changes again.
January 2, 2010 9:04:57 PM

whisper2.

I tried to do that right now, but I was reminded that for some reason, my USB keyboard dosent work outside of BIOS and Windows 7. I've enabled USB Legacy Support, so I dont know what the problem is :) 
January 2, 2010 9:54:28 PM

"Q Flash" is part of the BIOS. Are you saying that you entered this and cannot navigate or respond? What about your mouse?
January 2, 2010 9:55:58 PM

I pressed END as you said, and I couldnt use the keyboard to navigate nor the mouse.
January 2, 2010 10:00:08 PM

Reboot and enter set-up. You can access Q-Flash there as well, with F8.
a c 248 V Motherboard
January 2, 2010 10:06:07 PM

@PF85: A failed bios update can brick your motherboard. Update the bios only if you know what you are doing, and are trying to solve a problem that really needs fixing.
Are you certain that this issue needs to be fixed?
January 2, 2010 10:10:21 PM

Geo >

Well, I think its kinda annoying that I cant run my RAM at the speeds they can be run with. That it down clocks them to PC3-10700.
Other than that, I dont have any problems.

whisper2 >

I tried to update, but it came up with a BIOS ID check error, so I couldnt update it. Used a USB stick, which was formatted and I copied those three files over to it.
January 2, 2010 10:41:03 PM

PF85,

Are you positive that you actually have a GA-P55-UD4P? The screen will show when you boot up. I do not understand why it will not let you update. Even if the BIOS became corrupted, this board has a second BIOS chip that is supposed to take over and copy over the corrupted BIOS on the primary chip.

I suggest you contact Gigabyte Tech Support

http://www.gigabyte.us/Support/ServiceCenter.aspx

You have two issues 1) You cannot update the BIOS and 2) The BIOS will not allow you to change the memory frequency normally.

I have been adjusted the memory frequencies using F4 and F6 a number of times, and in all cases, I experienced no problems. It has been similar to making a change in Windows.
January 3, 2010 7:04:54 PM

It seems that I've found the problem. When I was out to buy these things, I apperently got a wrong advice. I thought that I was getting a GA-P55-UD4P, but what I was getting was a GA-P55-UD4.

It dosent seem to make that much difference, according to Gigabytes own comparison sheet, but of course it makes a difference when trying to flash the BIOS.

The only difference I can find is that, UD4P got Smart TPM and UD4 dosent.
January 3, 2010 9:26:50 PM

Anthough they are very similar, they do use different BIOS files. The Gigabyte-US site does not list the P55-UD4, only the P55M-UD4. My manual lists both the UD4 & UD4P.

I looked at GB's UK site and I found it. The UD4 is only up to F5 -- that that is still three versions newer than what you have.

http://www.giga-byte.co.uk/Support/Motherboard/BIOS_Mod...
!