Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Splitting 2 pin male connection

Last response: in Overclocking
July 19, 2011 9:15:44 PM

I currently have 5 (maybe 6) fans that each have a 3 pin female connector (i'm assuming this is for power) and a 2 pin female connector. The 2 pin connector says it is for the Fan LED. I only have one 2 pin male connector and that is located at the front of the case (CM HAF X) for turning the fan LED on and off. My intentions were to have all the LEDs operational. If i could somehow hook them up to the front switch so i can turn them off/on, that would be great. I can't seem to find what I need to accomplish this. Could anyone point me in the right direction?

Also, I was reading that having that many fans hooked up to the motherboard might not be the best idea. If i were to invest in a PWM Y cable to split the 3 pin connections would that make it any better? Or should i just connect them to the psu with a molex adapter?

-All the fans are Bitfenix Spectres (1x230, 3x200, 1x140, optional 120)
-Mobo: GA-990FXA-UD7

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
July 19, 2011 10:00:07 PM

looked for the same thing for the leds for my haf-x but couldnt find one--you may be able to use 3 pin splitters but only connect the two pins--that should work ok as the yellow wire is for controlling fan speed and doesnt matter in this case as you only need it to supply power for leds--you would have to daisy chain a few for that many fan leds as they only seem to come in one to two splitters--such as here

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-Pin-Fan-PC-Power-Splitter-C...

connecting all the fans to the motherboard depends on whether you want automatic fan speed control or not--i have the cpu fan on the motherboard and all the other fans on a dvd drive bay fan ontroller so can control those manually to give exactly the combination of noise to cooling i want--never had any problems in the past connecting all my fans to motherboard headers
July 22, 2011 6:15:35 PM

Best answer selected by farnor.
m
l
!