Abnormally slow 4k read/writes. Normal?

pauliwago

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
Hey guys,
Recently got the Kingston ssdnow v+100 series. I've noticed 4k read/write benchmarks scores are extremely low, especially when compared to numbers the drive is capable of.
kingstonv100.jpg

My mobo uses the AMD SB710 chipset. I've done the tests before and after applying various Windows 7 tweaks with consistent results. AHCI and Trim is on...I've tried it with default Microsoft drivers and AMD ones, same results.

One thing in particular: while testing, the write speeds of both the 4k's seem really inconsistent (jumps around a lot especially in the beginning anywhere from 0.4mb/s~110mb/s)

Is this normal? Is it my mobo's fault? Or is it an ssd defect?

Thanks guys.

adampower

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
edit... unnecessary v100 junk removed.

Ahha. I was concerned about access times and was ready to blame your mobo when I found this.

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/3895/kingston_ssdnow_v100_256gb_solid_state_drive_review/index7.html

I know. v100 vs v+100.. Jmicron vs Toshiba.. But they are comparing them to show how the v+100 accesses faster during reads. But writes... WOW. As high as 117ms to access 'when the cache fills up'.. Ouch. Even their best case showed .67ms which is actually higher than yours above.

So, it's normal. Still good for a boot drive mind you. I hadn't read about their 'aggressive' OS independent garbage collection. I like that.

TRENDING THREADS