Sign in with
Your question

AMD Gaming Build

Last response: in Systems
July 6, 2009 4:06:37 PM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Purchasing in the next few days, all the parts should arrive before the weekend.

BUDGET RANGE: $2400 AUD

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, Music, Movies, Programming, Other.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Monitor, OS, Keyboard.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: msy.com.au, pccasegear.com

PARTS PREFERENCES: Prefer AMD simply because Black Edition processors are so simple to OC.

OVERCLOCKING: Yes

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Yes

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080 for the moment and 1920x1200 eventually.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: This is less a what to buy and more a would these all fit together thread. If it is in the wrong section then forgive me, and feel free to move it to wherever.

Case: CM Storm Scout
MB: Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 955 Black Edition
PSU: Antec TP 750
RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333 G.Skill PI
HDD: WD Caviar Black 1 TB
GFX: XFX 1GB 4890 x2
HS/F: Xigmatek HDT-S1283
Sound: Auzentech Forte

And a few other external hardware that aren't really important.

I need to know if this all fits/works together. Like is the case big enough, does the MB have enough features, Is my PSU powerful enough etc.

According to my calculations:

I will be running 4890s in crossfire using PCIe 2.0 x16.
I will have the Forte in one of the other PCIe slots.
HDT-s1283 is AM3 compatible out of box.
TP-750 is enough to power all of this (OCing the CPU and both GFX cards) and has enough cables.
It will all fit in the Storm Scout without any major problems.

Is this correct? Any major flaws with this setup?

My main problem is my gfx cards and sound cards fitting. The Forte is quite small so there shouldn't be a problem should there? Another concern was heat from the cards, will there be enough room for case fans? I'll just turn the card's fans up higher if it comes down to it as sound isn't too big of a deal for me.

Thanks for your time.

More about : amd gaming build

July 6, 2009 5:27:32 PM

Hiya,

Well, technically the TP-750 will cover it. I would personally need an 850W for the build, probably an 850TX from Corsair for the price, or an 850HX if I had to have modular.

I strongly suspect, given AUS pricing, that you can build the same thing with an i7 920 and X58 MB for the same price. That of course would be more powerful and you would have the option to use Nvidia cards as well as ATI.
July 6, 2009 6:43:24 PM

Yea an i7 build is only about $100 or so more expensive. However OCing a 955 BE is so much simpler, no? I know it might seem a waste to go AMD, but an i7 won't really improve my gaming experience enough for me to want to go through the effort of OCing it. Call me lazy, but meh.

850TX is only 30 bux more than the 750TP/TX so I guess better safe then sorry.

Thanks for that.
Related resources
July 6, 2009 7:37:39 PM

NP, seems like you have a good build. I looked at Umart prices and was surprised actually. Looked like around $150 difference there, enough to matter.

I don't think either processor is hard to OC. Certainly the i7 920 will OC much farther.
You'll be happy with the 955 though.
July 6, 2009 11:18:11 PM

I got the phenom 955 BE built it only a few days ago + plays any game max settings nicely !

Havn't even thought about overclocking it yet, easy to OC aswell !
!