USB mice do not work

Status
Not open for further replies.

penlord

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011
Borderline-Irrelevant Background Basics:
-I do not know if there is a very precise and perfect way to correct my drivers for a mouse that does not respond. The mouse is not broken. I know because I bought a second mouse to replace it and it's having the same problem. The original mouse was simply working one hour, I returned to the computer after a brief hiatus, and moved the mouse with no response on the screen. After a few driver-dabblings I decided to go purchase another mouse. The second mouse was purchased, plugged-in, and read "hardware failed to install and may not function properly". I have 8 USB plug-ups and no other port worked to solve this. I downloaded the driver [.exe] install from Logitech's website (first mouse was a dynex) and ran it to install driver software. The software did not solve the issue.

Separate Details:
-Constantly applying new hardware to the computer, doubt the hardware is causing a driver malfunction with my mouse. Hardware includes plugging my phone up by USB, and using a wireless internet card to catch Router-Data. This is all of it the recent hardware additions. I will only remove hardware or try to renew my OS as a last-resort.

Important information regarding the Problem:
1. In DEVICE MANAGER, previous to the attempted solutions below, there were yellow exclamation points next to the HID-compliant mouse subbars under 'Mice and other pointing devices'. Now there is none, and there is no longer an "error code 39", however neither mouse works.
2. In DEVICE MANAGER, here are my possibilities:
-Human Interface Devices -> HID-compliant consumer control device, HID-compliant device, USB Human Interface Device, USB Human Interface Device, and USB Optical Mouse.
-Mice and other pointing devices -> HID-compliant mouse (Microsoft owned), HID-compliant Optical Mouse (logitech owned)

Under all above options in DEVICE MANAGER, the drivers are being read, and are reported to be working properly. I hit Update Driver for each one, none updated, and reported all to be up-to-date.

Previously Attempted Solutions:
-Renewing INFCACHE.1 in C/Windows/Driver/inf (hidden) folder. Done by renaming file and allowing itself to regenerate upon bootup.
-Deleting the UpperFilters registry in regedit for my mouse device. This was done correctly, but again to no avail.

Please help me solve this issue.

One more thing in device manager - right click, scan for hardware changes.
USB mouse, not enough power to draw from hub. Try unplugging other USB devices.

penlord

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011
Right clicked, scanned for hardware changes. Nothing new, it simply refreshed the device manager screen. Unplugged everything except Keyboard, Mouse, and internet device. One by one as I unplugged, it refreshed the device manager screen, and the mouse still doesn't respond. Shall I reboot? Anything else?

*and by right clicked i mean used my specialized keyboard options to open the menu to allow me to select "scan for hardware changes". My problem is NOT solved.

penlord

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011
Critical update:

Two mouses plugged in at the same time, Dynex (original) and Logitech (store bought).

The Logitech has zero response. The dynex responds to Wheel-Scroll, and Left/Right Forward/Back buttons in the browser.

Neither mouse allows for left-click, right-click, middle-click, or any arrow movement. HOWEVER, the dynex shows a little bit of response and this is a highly positive notion to me.

Solutions considering the update, please, all?

*Come on guys, I'm over half-way there. My mouse scrolls and flips forward/back between web-pages. The F2 BIOS did not find anything funny with the mouse, the drivers are all installed and working, I have the software provided by Dynex corporation; but the mouse will not left/right click or scroll the cursor.

PLEASE give your expertise on this matter. I'm a noobie.

Some response is a possitive sign,.. to me it sound like a corrupt driver HID driver. Try SlimDrivers this application is free and does a good job in restoring or updating drivers... Also check the Human Interface Device Service.. check if it's enabled.

Also go to Start\Run\type "regedit" enter and check in: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\HidUsb check the "Start" DWORD value data is 3... also in the HidServ key, the Start value should have a 2 in data.

penlord

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011
Thanks Chicano, happy to announce the hex values of 3 and 2, respectively, are present in said folders. Device Manager -> Human Interface Device Service -> HID-compliant human interface control device (something similar)? nonetheless, ALL are enabled and ready for service.

Now trying SlimDrivers. If I do not report success in 10-20 minutes, assume I've failed.

Thank you Chicano.

*SlimDrivers found and updated Human Interface Device. :cry: now the mouse is even LESS functional! wheel won't respond or anything! :cry:
*I see it uninstalled my Dynex software to update the driver. I will try reinstalling the Dynex software and seeing if this will render me some functionality.
*Nope, mouse now useless.

Well, more than 20 minutes have gone by so I assume it didn't work. The next steps would be to check in Device Manager the Universal Series Bus Controllers... check if the properties says they are working properly. Also forgot to mention before to check the Plug and Play and SSDP Discoveory Services,.. and to Restore the System to a previous date.. this will most likely return the System to a date when HID was working if the problem is not hardware related.

Short of that the only trick I know would be to use a USB to PS/2 adapter so you can connect the usb mouse to the PS/2 mouse port while you find a solution for the USB HID device connection. USB to PS2 Mouse Adapter - USB to PS/2 Adapter Set. The reason I suggest this solution is because USB problems are very tricky to solve and when they set in, not even a reinstallation of the System can guarantee a fix.

I will keep searching and if I find a solution I will pass it on to you.

penlord

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011
I'm in safe mode with networking. I'll consider a Ps/2 adapter. It's not hurting me to use my keyboard to access everything online and what-not. Mouse doesn't work in safe mode, either. I'm willing to wait for other solutions to my USB problem.

I have 5 GB internet limit per month, so backing up all the data on this old computer to install a new OS isn't wise.

Let alone the fact that I don't have my driver disc for this old computer. I could screw myself even harder, without the ability to install my drivers properly after inputting a new OS.

penlord

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011
I found a mouse-to-PS/2 adapter.

How do I get it to work?

i plugged it in, rebooted, it said: DEVICE CANNOT START. opened a trouble-shooter, free of charge! Yay!

Can i not use this thing either?

Check the links for possible solutions. In the YT video compare the 2nd paragraph of the uploader comments to your registry. The Tomshardware thread mentions USB configuration in the BIOS, so that's another possibility. Another possible cause I glanced by is a virus infection, and virus are known to disable the keyboard or mouse so the obvious question is,.. have you scanned the system?.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/249238-28-mouse-longer-moves-windows
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45dTpXgdQok

Since you mentioned 'old computer', I have to ask; Do you have any other USB devices working.

.. Those troubleshooters that come up after a failed device installation are pure crap... they've never solved a problem for me... use the SlimDrivers application to install the PS2 driver... it sounds like the PS2 driver (i8042prt.sys) is missing or corrupted. Also check the Human Interface Device Access Service

http://smallvoid.com/article/winnt-services-hidserv.html

penlord

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011
Yes, other USB devices are working great. In particular, a web-camera, a data-router, my keyboard, etc. I unplugged all the unnecessary things because someone mentioned a limited amount of computer-power output. When I purchased the computer in 2005, it was TOP-OF-THE-LINE, so it's basically like a weak computer purchased in 2011.

Anyway back to my mouse trouble..

I have not scanned the system for any viruses, I do not have a virus-protector on it. I used to, but I figured I was an adult enough to not download anything that wasn't on Cnet's download.com or something that I purchased from the store. I've never really caught a virus before, and when I did have virus protectors, they wouldn't find anything wrong with my computer every-time I scanned, and eventually the license would run out -- so why renew?

I'm positive I do not have a virus, however. So let's rule it out.

I'll check:
-USB configurations in the BIOS
-Registry compared to uploader comments
-Try to figure out how to use your HID-Access Service link, when I looked at it before, it seemed to only apply to a certain number of Error.

Repeat:
1. No error for USB being found by Device Manager,
2. Ps/2 adapter popping up with Error 10

I'll be back later. Hope we can figure this bad boy out =)

Well, I doubt the problem is related to “power-output”. That, I understand as Power Supply Output(?)… but the OS is the first to suffer from this kind of problem; it slows down, does small pauses, does a blue screen, has some trouble during boots, etc… so unless you noticed any of those or worse symptoms the power may have nothing to do with it. On the ther hand, I did experience once a mouse (and keyboard) problem related to a weak PSU. So if you’ve stripped the computer down to just keyboard, mouse, and monitor and nothing get better, forget this as a cause.

And if you mean weak in data processing, by today’s standards computers sold in 2005 are weak, but not enough to be the cause of this kind of problems.

Well, virus come in a wide range of danger levels and can infect through different sources.. some can even remain inert waiting for the right moment… some can hide in the System Restore folder which is not accessible by every antivirus,.. so there’s no assurance you won’t get a virus infection even with a good antivirus guarding your computer… or that it will be detected by one antivirus, and much the less if you don’t have one installed… and some antivirus can disable your keyboard or mouse. Besides that, not every antivirus can detect Trojans.. it used to be that antivirus applications only detected viruses and antitrojand detected Trojans, today most antivirus can detect trojans, some most but some fewer so we should have an antitrojan installed as well.

Avoiding the price of a licence is no reason to not install an antivirus… there are many freeware antiviruses that can do the same job as their payment versions… Avast, AVG, Avira, Panda Cloud, Comodo, are all good free antivirus applications… I use Avast and have used it for years, it’s light on resources and the only difference from the paid version is that it can’t be programmed for updates which means it will update or try every time you boot the computer so the system may take longer (anywhere from 10-to-20 seconds) to be ready for use, but aside from that it’s perfect for an older computer. For as long as I’ve used the 5 or 6 versions of Avast it has not detected a false positive or allowed a serious virus infection. As far as antitrojans, I use Malwarebytes Anti-Malware… it doesn’t scan it real time in the free version but it’s fast and effective so running it on a regular basis can help keep the system free of all kind of malware antivirus applications can’t detect

Code 10 Error Troubleshooting
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findbyerrormessage/a/code-10-error.htm

The HID link consists basically in checking the HID service is up and running on manual mode, and that the files; *hidserv.dll, mouhid.sys and mouclass.sys are not missing in the C:\WINDOWS\System32 folder. You can also check the hidserv.dll (or hid.dll) file is registered…

How to register .dll or .ocx files
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/customization/registerdll.htm
http://www.tech-faq.com/how-to-register-a-dll.html

Or use RegDllView v1.42 to register dlls and check if any is unregistered
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/registered_dll_view.html

*hidserv.dll may’ve been replaced with hid.dll by SP3 because I don’t have it in system32.

mibix19

Distinguished
Hi. Go to device manager click on unknown device(yellow marked) Click update driver. select "browse my computer for driver software" followed by "let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer" and then under "mice and other pointing devices" instead of selecting "USB Browser mouse" (which it is) select "HID-Compliant mouse click then install it. (If there is no yellow exclamation mark continue from update driver anyway)

nobrain

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
I spent a lot of time browsing internet and find solution for my problem with wired USB mouse on PC, which was installed (viewed in device manager), bud wasn´t work. All of possibly of solutions were a blame. I recommend change your PC power supply and then your mobo. Every devices which I connected to PC worked fine, only mouse /I tried 3 pcs/ made many of nonsenses. Like I said, no one SW solutions helped me.

Cryssa

abbasleo

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013

thanks man it works

Jun 3, 2013
I had similar problem.. when I watch movie.. the mouse pointers stop moving.. neither the keyboard nor the mouse works.. it freezes..

Wow..the solution given by "Chicano" works.. "regedit"

In my desktop HidServ key, the Start value was 4 & I have reset it to 2..wow.. it works.. hereagin I am repeating his solution

"Also go to Start\Run\type "regedit" enter and check in: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\HidUsb check the "Start" DWORD value data is 3... also in the HidServ key, the Start value should have a 2 in data."

Thanks Chicano

Status
Not open for further replies.