After market coolers and warranty?

dacca

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
hey everyone, just bought a xfx hd4870 :) got a great price off ebay auction so very very happy, just wondering as i cant find anything specific about it on xfx's site (maybe im not looking in the right place though) so yeah my question is, does xfx provide warranty if you change the stock cooler on their cards? and also if they do can anyone recommend a good cooler for me please?

daedalus685

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008

'
You are incorrect.

XFX will cover cooling modification, overclocking, etc.

I don't think they cover bios modification, but I'm not sure.

They 100% cover cooling mods though, provided when you need to return the product you provide the origional cooler, and don't physically break anything when you switch them out.

Also, xfx offers double lifetime warranties. They are transferable to a second party, provided teh first party filsl out the online form.

Please guys, this is all stuff you can look up on newegg or xfx's webpage... don't answer if you have no idea..

dacca

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
ah that sucks a bit but i understand why, i know i should be directing these questions more towards xfx, but it always takes so much longer to get an answer from big companies than forums, do you know if they could fit it and offer a warranty still?

daedalus685

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008

You are covered, don't worry.

It's common sense to just use any cooler you want, if anything happens to the card all you have to do is remove the aftermarket cooler and reinstall the factory cooler and RMA.....this only works with XFX and BFG cards.......

Btw, you shouldnt have any issues with the stock cooler to begin with, just up the fan speed.....

dacca

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
i hear its a bit loud though? i have my pc on over night and i live in a box basically, my pc is pretty much completely silent how loud is that card for you guys?, that is the cooler i got :) think now i have looked into it i will go with xfx in future to, really like their warranty policies

Well, it is loud if you are playing games and want low temps... but when you sleep the fan speed should be at 0% meaning it should not bother you at all.....

Its kinda funny when peeps mention "LOUD" as a con..... When you game the "Game Volume" surpasses any noise that comes from the PC. Unless you play w/o any volume whatsoever.....So in all, any noise that comes from a video card should not be an issue at all.....

dacca

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
thats cool man, i didnt mind the gaming volume cuz as you say this is not even remotely an issue FPS over silence :) i just meant that my mrs has had 2 ati based cards in her pc and i noticed stock coolers are loud on em even when idling, compared to my gtx which is completely silent