OC i7-2600k, FSB?

benikens

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
This will be my first overclock, I'm wondering if people normally bother to up the BCLK by the ~5mhz you can get away with or just straight go for the multiplier overclock. Due to the BCLK effecting ram to would it be a slightly faster machine then a straight multiplier increase?

This is all theoretical atm as i'm buying the cpu/mobo tomorrow but i just wanna get people's thoughts.
for reference the rig will be:

PSU: corsair ax-850w
MOBO: gigabyte z68x-ud7-b3
CPU: i7-2600k
RAM: g skill 8gb(4gbx2) 2133mhz cl11
GPU: gigabyte HD 6970 (factory overclock to 920mhz)
SSD: ocz agility 3 120gb
HDD: some old 300gb seagate drive i have kicking around (cant afford new drive this week)
CASE: cooler master haf x

(i decided on this build after going over these forums for the last month or so and reviewing like mad, any thoughts on changes is appreciated though obviously wont be changing parts i have already bought)

Solution
There's really not much of a reason to use the bclk to overclock with an unlocked multiplier. The one exception is if you need or want a particular ram speed that isn't available without tweaking the base clock. If your happy running your ram at the stock bclk multipliers I would recommend doing that.

sportsfanboy

Distinguished
There's really not much of a reason to use the bclk to overclock with an unlocked multiplier. The one exception is if you need or want a particular ram speed that isn't available without tweaking the base clock. If your happy running your ram at the stock bclk multipliers I would recommend doing that.

Solution