For about two weeks, I've been getting high ping spikes that has pretty much been disconnecting me from everything from Ventrilo to online games.
I've been using Ventrilo to monitor the ping and it will be around 50 then suddenly spike to 5000+ ping for about 30 seconds then go back down to 50. It always seems to start around 9 PM EST, but I've had it go out on me during the afternoon also. Sometimes I can go about 6 hours without any problems. I've also noticed that my signal usually sits around 1 or 2 bars when I'm having this problem and when I'm not its at 3-4 bars. My router or computer hasn't been moved.
I'm on a wireless connection and use a wireless USB adapter. Also, around the same time my USB mouse started to intermittently disconnect and reconnect. Does this sound like a power supply problem? If so, why does my connection work sometimes for a few hours.
Here are some things I've tried:
1. My laptop on the wireless network has no problems, so I'm eliminating the router.
2. I've tried two USB wireless adapters, so I'm eliminating the adapter.
3. I've virus-scanned, adware/spyware scanned, cleaned up my temp folders and cache.
4. I've connected through Windows XP Wireless Config and Linksys's.
5. I've tried to see if it might be caused by certain programs, so I've been down the list and it doesn't seem to matter what I'm running.