How to overclock a cpu in a risk free manner

vishalaestro

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011
im using asus p8p67 pro .intel i5 2500k .4gb corsair 1600mhz ram..corsair 600w psu and cooler master elite with side window case..can i overclock my cpu automatically through my mobo bios without damaging my cpu..if it is possible how to do it pls explain in steps..

mxwxb

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
If you go back to the Overclocking > CPU threads, there's one stickied at the top with instructions on how to OC your CPU. I've read through it and it's very well written and informative. There will always be a risk when OCing; the objective is to have the patience to do it properly and minimize that risk. If by "automatically", you mean a single button you press and you're overclocked, I think ASUS boards do provide a quick 3-option selection through the main BIOS screen, but I'm not sure exactly how this changes the performance - I would consult your user manual for information on this. However, I wouldn't necessarily recommend the quick/easy way to do it. Instead, I would suggest learning about how to do it properly, as the easy way doesn't educate you on what you're doing, what to look for after you've done it, and how to maintain/monitor your OC.

bearclaw99

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2010

I would manually set your vcore voltage in BIOS to about 1.3, then raise the multiplier until it becomes unstable, maybe running it on Prime 95 for 10 minutes or so each time. Then start backing down until you can get it stable for a good 10 hours

Watch your temps too of course. 1.3 is a good solid voltage that will not do any damage whatsoever

The one click bios OC capabilities may be more aggressive than you want.
The "K" suffix cpu's are designed to be overclocked, so safety is not much of an issue unless you are trying for a maximum overclock.
To my mind, an OC is safe if you do not fiddle with the voltages.

Just raise the multiplier in small steps with everything else on auto, and you will do reasonably well.
You can reasonably expect 4.0 from most chips.