AMD won't work for some programs?

funInSun45

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
I've built an AMD system that is running Windows XP. Are there some programs that can't run on an AMD processor? It looks like that might be the case for SAS, but I'm wondering if anyone here has had any experience with this issue.

funInSun45

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
I have an AMD Phenom II X2 545, and there were all these problems when trying to install SAS I bought from my university last night.

Still haven't diagnosed the problem, but I saw on the SAS requirements page that "Intel-compatible" processors are required (page 3 (9/52) here: http://support.sas.com/documentation/installcenter/en/ikfdtnwinsr/62187/PDF/default/sreq.pdf ).

I wonder if anyone knows of other programs that have that kind of Intel requirement?

jsh1284

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009
What I'm thinking it might be is you are trying to run 64 bit apps on a 32 bit OS. If thats the case, you will need a 64 bit version of XP in order to run these programs. Your CPU .. and all others in today's market .. are all x64 .. but if the OS isn't .. it does not matter either way.

funInSun45

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
Good point, though I tried installing it afterwords on my roommate's Dell laptop (XP, 32-bit), and that worked just fine.

Sorry I forgot to mention that, but that's what leads me to believe the problem is the processor.

vh1atomicpunk

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2008
The quick answer is no - there are not any Windows x86 programs that will not run on AMD processors. There may be some very weird, very proprietary and strange flukes, but there should not be any modern x86 programs that do not run on AMD CPUs.

In the Win95 days, there were some programs that would not run on AMD CPUs. A good example was (I can't remember the name!) a racing game made specifically for the Pentium 54C P90, 100, and 133 CPU's w/MMX from Intel. I can't remember the name still, but that game would not run on a 486DX4, PII, or P3 machines. It simply would not.

In my experience, the list of apps that are not compatible with AMD CPUs is limited, and very limited at that. The best option? Contact the publisher of the software program, and made them aware of the issue. AMD CPU's may not perform as well as Intel CPUs do to compiler or architectural/performance metrics, but should run almost all x86 programs nonetheless.

Moving to the next step, it is also unlikely but much more possible that yes, the AMD/ATI SATA or AHCI drive controller drivers are causing a compatibility issue with the software you're running. This is really a software issue with the program rather than the driver, since it is and would be ridiculous for a software company to exclude disk controllers besides Intel.

First step - If you're running a board with an AMD/ATI chipset (ATI6xx series or AMD 8xxx or 7xx series) chipset, update the drivers. Drivers are available at AMD's website.

If a driver update does not work, contact the software publisher/programmer. They may have a fix or be able to helpe further.

Hope this helps!

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
It says Intel or Intel compatible.

[strike]That means you have to buy an Intel CPU like the Itainium.[/strike]

That means you have to buy an x86 based CPU. AMD makes x86 CPUs, so the programs should run fine.

I can't think off the top of my head what programs are Intel exclusive. AMD gained MMX years ago after a legal court fight.

jsh1284

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009
Ah, I see. Well the thing is the processor has nothing to do with whether or not a program is compatible or not. No program is designed to actually work or not work depending on a processor. A program may run BETTER on this or that CPU but it won't keep you from running it at all.

With that said, I am thinking you are running into SOME kind of compatibility issue in the OS. Have you tried running something like Advanced Systemcare to clean out registry errors and such? If not, go to download.com and give that program a shot. Who knows it might get it running properly again. I love it for everyday maintenance..

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador

Currently, all Intel exclusive stuff has been extensions of SSE, they can be run on lower SSE version, with less efficiency except for Intel's latest instruction set addition, for security encoding. However, since this processor isn't even out yet we can rule that possibility out. I think it's an OS or driver issue.

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador

Except those 3dNow! programs AMD made to spite Intel. That's about all I can think of.