Dual core vs Quad core

jsh1284

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009
*crickets*

... Some dual core CPU's have the edge over some quad cores, such as the high end core 2 duos vs the original Phenom series (devastating loss for AMD) however most modern quad cores are very much ahead of the current dual cores on the market. I used to have a triple core Phenom II 720 btw .. which is very fast. So you should consider this chip if you're debating on whether to buy a dual or quad core CPU. Very affordable and very fast.

I actually sold that chip to my uncle for 100 bucks so I could afford to get my Phenom II 955 .. which is an awesome chip IMHO.

vh1atomicpunk

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2008
It's all dependent on the software you are running.

Simply, if you are running a fast dual-core CPU currently, it is not worth upgrading unless you do video encoding/transcoding and your time is worth money.

If you are building a new box, quad core is the way to go. I can't see any point in sticking with dual-core if you don't have to for monetary reasons.

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
There are certain games that take advantage of quad-cores and certain amount of them that don't. Older, less threaded games will run faster on higher clocked dual core computers whilst newer more threaded games may run faster on quads, depending on the level of optimization.
Ok, imagine this; you are a town designer working for the water supply company. You can choose to either make a water system with two high capacity pipes (dual-cores) running North and South or four medium capacity pipes (quad-cores) running every compass point. The city is located at the current time between North and South. The high capacity pumps work more efficiently than the medium ones as the city only uses 2 pipes. Later however, as the city (threads) grows, urban sprawl means that the city expands in all locations. The dual high capacity pipes are no longer as efficient as they can’t supply the rest of the city with as much water. Of course you could just do the more expensive thing and just buy four high capacity pipes (fast quad –cores ie. I7)
Video rendering, graphics design and other professional applications are already developed cities. It’s like building the same water supply system in New York or something. That is why the third option (fast quads) are so good for these programs.

*sigh*. For non-threaded apps, a Duo and a Quad running at the same speed should execute in about the same amount of time. The issue (and misunderstanding) is that for a given price, you have the choice between a faster duo or a slower quad.

I say again, at the same clock speed, at best, the Duo is as fast as a quad. If the Duo is clocked faster, then it depends on the app you are using.

I've noticed most newer games use quads much more efficently. At this point, only budget rigs should run Duo's...

sub mesa

Distinguished
For the same reason a dualcore Phenom II X2 3.1GHz will (barely) beat a quadcore Phenom II X4 3.0GHz in most games.

Note that although some games brag about being able to use multiple CPU cores, like World of Warcraft which is "optimized for dual core" - they are still old single threaded game engines so this is just nonesense they claim. The only thing that happens is that they switch their CPU load from core1 to core2, but never will two CPU cores be working at the same time for the game; its still single-threaded operation.

Those who do have multiple threads have very 'light' threads requiring virtually no CPU time, so the load is not evenly spread on all threads. Such is impossible with the challenges SMP games bring. So at least for awhile a dualcore will be the best gaming chip; a 1000-core chip doesn't have to run the game any single frame faster.

G

Go with a FAST DUAL CORE. I recommend AMD cause they are affordable. Intel are still very good but they dont make them as affordable and the performance margin is not noticeable. If you are a HEAVY gamer then yes go with a QUAD, but if not then just save your money and buy the AMD Athlon II or Phenom II's. You can get the new Phenom II for about $100 or go with the Athlon II for abut $65 at Newegg.com. The only issue is they are AM3 socket, so if you have an AM2 or AM2+ board they wont work. They do have COMBO deals for under $200 though. Either way you are saving yourself alot of money and will be very pleased with he performance.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3.0Ghz (6000+)
4 Gigs Ram (G-Skill) (PC-2 6400)
500 GB DVD/RW Drive
ATI HD2600XT (512mb DDR3)
Orion 585W PS
Cyber Acoustic Speakers (2.1)
Epson 3in1 Printer (cx7400)
Logitech Wireless Keyboard & Mouse
Windows XP Service Pack 3 (32bit)

shot term dual-core (changing computer in 1-2 years and mostly gaming)

long term quad-core (want to keep computer for 3 years or more + gaming + multicore software such as burning, encoding , etc.)

that what id do

vh1atomicpunk

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2008

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
Also, some am2 boards will run phenom 2 chips. I've actually got a gigabyte m571-sli am2 board, it claims it supports up to the 940 with a bios update. Kind of eyeing the 720 BE for 120 however...

yannifb

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009

Jsh did you recently get a new rig? If so its niice :)