Xigmatek 650W PSU and Crossfire

jsh1284

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009
Well, I am curious about something and I wanted to just throw this question out there. I know I'm right on the border when it comes to power if I do this, but I just wonder if this will work:

Down the road, I was thinking about adding another 5870 once this card starts to age a bit. So my PSU is a Xigmatek 650 watt unit. 19 amps on each of the four rails. Yeah, I know .. cutting it close .. but will it do it? I was thinking the wattage would be CLOSE but the AMPS are there. Any input?

jsh1284

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009
Yeah, I actually just spent $110 on a new PSU. This is a very good one which has recieved high marks all over the place .. so I'm happy with it. Thanks WR2 btw .. I was thinking it is doable. Will just wait and see if I end up needing to do the CF or not down the road. For now, one 5870 is plenty for me though.

ATI matches the Sapphire recommendation mentioned by WR2.

Here are the official power requirements for the brand new ATI Radeon HD 5850 and HD5870 video cards.

ATI Radeon™ HD5850 System Requirements

PCI Express® based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard
• 500 Watt or greater power supply with two 75W 6-pin PCI Express® power connectors recommended (600 Watt and four 6-pin connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in • dual mode)

ATI Radeon™ HD5870 System Requirements

• PCI Express® based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard
• 500 Watt or greater power supply with two 75W 6-pin PCI Express® power connectors recommended (600 Watt and four 6-pin connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in • dual mode) NOTE - 40 amps on the 12 volt rail(s) for Crossfire.

These are the power supply recommendations for an entire pc system.

TRENDING THREADS