Sign in with
Your question

Three generic questions about new motherboards.

Last response: in Motherboards
December 31, 2009 3:55:21 AM

So my post-Xmas present to myself is finally buying a new computer. I'm going for future-proofing and grabbing the ASUS P6X58D Premium mobo for the USB 3.0, SATA 6gb/s, and LGA 1366 support. For now, I will stick to my WinXP Pro 32 bit OS (I play new and old games and I know that Win7/Vista support isn't where I need it yet) so I know my memory will be limited to 3.5gb. Here are my questions.

1: The motherboard uses triple-channel memory. Will the memory be better utilized if I buy 3 sticks of 1gb (or 2gb if you convince me it'll be better) and end up with just 3gb of total memory? Or will it be better utilized if I just buy 2 sticks of 2gb memory? I figure I'll upgrade to a larger memory size when I eventually upgrade to Win7 and the memory is even cheaper, but for now I don't really want to splurge on 3 sticks of 2gb (or anything higher) unless it really does speed up the computer a significant amount.

2: Newegg folks complained that the onboard sound of the mobo doesn't support DDL/DTS. But looking at RealTek's webpage, they seem to advertise support for DDL/DTS. Can someone straighten out who is telling the truth here?

Your answers are much appreciated!

Surprise question #3!: I'm trying to buy from newegg and I see things that say "Features: Compatible with Dual Channel Intel Core i5 CPU for P55 chipset motherboard, Dual Channel Core i7 CPU for P55 chipset motherboard" Does that mean it won't work with my mobo's X58 chipset?
a c 156 V Motherboard
a b } Memory
December 31, 2009 8:15:12 AM

1. If you cannot stretch to 3 X 2 GB, I think 3 X 1 is better than 2 X 2 for an X58 motherboard.

2. Cannot help here.

3. They will work. Remember, the P55 chipset only supports dual channel. See answer to Qestion 1.
a c 89 V Motherboard
a b } Memory
December 31, 2009 1:12:32 PM

If your upgrading to 64bit windows semi soon, I'd get the 3x2. If you have no idea or don't plan on it anytime soon, get the 3x1. Yes you'll have 2GBs+ not doing anything, but it will be there for later once you upgrade. What do you mean by win7 "not there yet"?

Sorry, I don't follow audio that well.

Quote:
Surprise question #3!: I'm trying to buy from newegg and I see things that say "Features: Compatible with Dual Channel Intel Core i5 CPU for P55 chipset motherboard, Dual Channel Core i7 CPU for P55 chipset motherboard" Does that mean it won't work with my mobo's X58 chipset?

What are you looking at? I'm guessing your looking at ram. I'm also guessing your looking at an 2x2GB kit. See answer to question 1 as to whether you should be looking at 3x1/3x2.
December 31, 2009 3:47:19 PM

4745454b said:
If your upgrading to 64bit windows semi soon, I'd get the 3x2. If you have no idea or don't plan on it anytime soon, get the 3x1. Yes you'll have 2GBs+ not doing anything, but it will be there for later once you upgrade. What do you mean by win7 "not there yet"?

Sorry, I don't follow audio that well.

Quote:

What are you looking at? I'm guessing your looking at ram. I'm also guessing your looking at an 2x2GB kit. See answer to question 1 as to whether you should be looking at 3x1/3x2.

Is there any reason why going for the 3x1 and being .5gb under my max ram (which would be 3.5 if I took 2x2 sticks) is better than hitting my max ram? Does the triple-channel actually utilize better than a larger-size double-channel? I'm seeing answers but no reasons or citations behind them. I also don't understand why you think I'll have 2gbs+ doing nothing; WinXP Pro supports 3.5gb.

Win7 isn't "there yet" for me because a lot of devices I use (and a lot of games I play over Steam) I've been to forums for and it seems like clockwork that I'll find at least 3 threads of people saying "this or that is broken under Windows 7." I may just end up dual-booting if someone can convince me the performance is that worth it and if I eventually buy a card that supports DX10/11, but I'm not there yet so I figured I'd take cheaper ram until that time came.

Yes the 3rd question was pertaining to ram as well.
!