A.I. Cluster Desk

xtc28

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
Well, I have an ongoing unique project I have been working on for a while. I think I need A little feedback just to keep me going on this.

Lets start with current stats.

Corner Type glass top desk:

2x Zotac GF8200-c-e AMD M-ITX (one per desk for now)
2x 2Gb x 2 Corsair XMS2 800 RAM 2x 2gb kingston
2x Amd Athlon x2 7750 BE @ 3.0GHZ
2x Thermal Take Spin-Q Air Coolers
1x WD Cavair 320 gb HDD 1x hitachi deskstar 160 gb
2x 200W PW-200-M DC/DC 12v Power Supplies.... One now I broke one :(
2x 22" Viewsonic 1920x1050 lcd (Under Glass top, 1 per top).... One now I broke one :(
2x Vista Ultimate 64 bit/server 2008/Linux w/ Kerrighed clustering........Mainly sever 08 HPC

Control Tower/Gamer Rig:

Cooler Master Elite Case
2x 120mm Fans
2x IDE CF card readers (PCI cover type, For Booting and installing new OS distributions)
1x Pico LCD
2x LG Super-multi drives
1x A-Power 850 Watt Power Supply (Serves ME well)
Gigabyte MA790X-UD4P motherboard
4x 2Gb Corsair XMS2 800 Ram
Phenom II 940 BE @ 3.4Ghz
Thermal Take Spin-Q Air Cooler (crushed) ............. Stock cooler for now
1x ASUS ATI HD 4870X2 XFire @ 762 MHz Core OC
1x Seagate 1.5Tb HD
Vista Ultimate 64 bit/Server 2008/(Linux w/ Kerrighed clustering)
1x ACER X233H 23" widescreen 1080P Monitor

Now lets talk About Additions.
First, I am Probably going to build the Gigabyte board into the desk like the Zotacs. Second, I have plans for an addition of 6 more Zotac M-ITX motherboards. 4 of which are the GF 8200-c-e (It can handle the Phenom II), Two of which are the last to add Zotac GF9300-d-e M-ITX S775 With Q66 Processors. These last two are realy so I can add two Tesla GPU processor cards (one per desk). Under almost any clustered Single System Image clustering platform, this compilation of motherboards and all the hardware attached to them should be recognized as ONE computer. Of course, I am still learning this clustering processes right now. Using three motherboards and eight processors is not an easy task to overcome when load balancing is concerned.

Enough of My blabber.................... Any Comments/Suggestions/Questions

xtc28

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
Zotac Mobo's used

Zotac7750BE.jpg

1st Zotac mounted

mOUNTED.jpg

1st screen installed

DSC00338.jpg

With the 23" Control screen

Cleanedupabit.jpg

xtc28

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
The monitors under the glass are only for monitoring specific processes, such as download managers, Media players (not for movies/videos of course), A.I. Interface, Drawing (via Infrared touchscreen underlay), the list goes on. The main monitor is in the corner upright. This is for obvious porposes of course (No neck pain).

Does anyone have any sugestions on things that I should do with this rig. Changes ? Purposes for the use of this monster? Ideas on implementations, component locations, Software, peripherals, anything? :pfff:

randomizer

Champion
Purposes is what I want to know. What are you going to do with it? It's certainly cool, but unless you can turn your table into a touch-sensitive Tablet PC I can't think of what you'd do with it.

xtc28

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
I am looking into getting an infrared touchscreen to underlay between the LCDs and the glass. That should acomplish the tablet desk notion. I use this monster for many things right now and I think I'm just breaking the ice... For one, it is my 3d workstation, My home media control (as it controls every screen in my home), it is my server, my security station, and soon enough it is going to be a folding @ home hogg.

xtc28

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
Enough to buy a car! Thats all Ill say. Anyway its not about how much it costs to me, its just about the build. I have specific uses for this monster and always looking for more uses. These Pics are also a few months old now. I have more done and will post more pics soon.

The only thing that I have seen that even comes close to this was built by popular mechanics in 2008. It was a one motherboard build and didnt incorporate screens into desktop.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/how_to/4318067.html

I still have not purchased everything yet. I would like some feed back on possible hardware to use. As a reminder I need as much power as possible, in a very little space, this is the reason I chose the Mini-ITX form factor.

Shnur

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
Tablet looks like an awesome idea, you could be running a gaming server, maybe going into Shared Hosting as well for websites?
I would also get the whole thing watercooled so you won't have to take care of the fans, would make a very silent system which would be awesome, looking wise too. The desk looks a bit clustered also, your keyboard seems old school, not that it's not working anymore, but something that fits more in the whole thing would be cool, as well a a mouse. For your main screen I personally would get a "hand" so I can move it around.
Just some ideas =)

xtc28

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
Thanks for the comments, Shnur. As for water cooling it is in the works. I need a couple, more water blocks and another rad. Since I am going to WC so many at once I figured I would Probably use a heater core from a car or something possibly several. I am also toying with the idea to make my spin-Q HSFs the water blocks and 1st radiators. As for clutter I have resolved those issues recently with pullout keyboards under both screens, and they are new keyboards as well. Mostly I use MS speech regonition and as an HID. I will give the uses you suggested a long thought and implent wha I can. Thanks again!

xtc28

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
Eight processors are not really eight as you would think. Its really eight cores. And three processors.

One PhenomII 940 = 4cores
+
One Kuma 7750 = 2 cores
+
One Kuma 7750 = 2 cores

The OS I use (Ubuntu + Kerrighed) sees all of these as individual processors in one machine. Enabling it to act as if it were a single PC.

xtc28

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
it is bigger than the mobo. The Mobo is actually only 17cm x 17cm (thats 6.7" x 6.7"). A full sized Mobo will not fit in the back of the desk. Hell even a micro-atx wont fit. As I said above, my intentions are to building the gigabyte with the PII 940/HD 4870x2 into the desk. At the moment I am toying with a couple of ideas to get it in there. It will not be in the back of the desk, I will mount it fully visible under the coner glass piece, beneath its 23" 1920x1080 monitor.

xtc28

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
Here is the gigabytes 2675 RPM 201 CFM blower I picked up at none other than a pawn shop. This beast is originally from an air door like at a hospital or warehouse. This thing will move alot of air.

blower.jpg