FSB and RAM frequencies - i7 920

xympa

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
Hello, I've had this i7 laying low on stock for a while, and i've been doig some research, most of which tell me that somehow the FSB needs to close to my RAM frequencies, but my RAM on triple channel is 1600MHZ (limit) on stock, it's running @2.66~2.67Ghz. TBH messing with voltages scares the hell outta me, i was wondering how far could i go, by just leaving the settings on "auto" (should i leave them on auto?), While i was trying out, i never went further than 175x20 with the voltages on auto, although my RAM stuck at 1403Mhz(?), which is far from the potential 1600.

On summary, how far could i go with "auto" voltages? and is it much of a deal that my ram frequencies don't match the 1600Mhz?

jamie_1318

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2010
set your voltages manually, that is the safe way. When you leave them automatic you run the risk of damaging things because it will feed more voltage than the component needs. You should look around for an OC guide for your CPU and mobo. There should be some guides.

I will assume you are using a i7-900 series because of your FSB and low Clock speed.

http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/538439-guide-overclocking-core-i7-920-930-a.html

Read through that and make sure you understand everything they are saying. don't change anything unless you know what it does, or they tell you too. If you are careful, there is very little risk of damaging anything. If you aren't careful the risk is still pretty small, but you should take it slow, read through the guide a couple times, and you should have very little trouble.

Back to directly answering your question it is better if the RAM runs at it's full speed, but you won't experience a BSOD for running the RAM a little slower. You can always try and tighten the timings for better performance. Just never set the DRAM voltage above 1.65 on an i-core processor. If you leave the whole thing on AUTO no one can guarantee your success because every MOBO auto OCs differently and some will do much better than others. You should be able to reach 3 ghz to 3.4Ghz on a good heatsink but I have no Idea what you are using. If you want more answers just put up more information.

Please provide info on the following components
Power Supply
Mobo
Heatsink
processor model

Best of luck

xympa

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
I have a P6T Regular (non-deluxe), an i7 920 and my RAM is a GSKILL KIT 6GB DDR3 1600MHZ NQ (CL9), my PSU is a CORSAIR TX-650W, and my cooler is a NOCTUA NH-U12P SE1366.

xympa

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
D0, i have it stable @ 3.8GHz now, 1.2 vcore was bsoding after 1h of prime95, 1.225 vcore did the trick with 181mhzx19, it's not going over 82ºC.

Good enough for me, my guess is that it could handle 4GHz but i don't see the need.

The only issue is that my rams are now only running at 1443Mhz if i'm not mistaken...

BTW: That guide is amazing.