Favourite/Best 64-bit Motherboard/CPU?

Hi everyone...I need some advice so I thought I'd ask here. I generally try to find out as much as I can before I ask others but I can't find straight advice by googling.

I currently have a P5W-DH Deluxe & Q6600 G0 as I was pretty sure is was the best bang-for-buck a few years ago and truly, it is a great setup.

I want to upgrade to 64-bit but have next to no knowledge about what's good/great in 64-bit, but I'm looking for something equal to how the P5W and G0 was a few years ago in its' own category...modestly priced masterpieces. I've not followed hardware for a couple of years so what should I be looking at?

Also, I like the idea of SSD, SATA-3 and USB 3.0. Is that type of support available now in a motherboard or is it years away?
4 answers Last reply
More about favourite best motherboard
  1. ...how about the P7P55D-E Premium?
  2. if you want best go for x58 chipset and i7 (P55 is not bad but too little PCI-e links to my liking, it would degrade sata3 performance).
  3. Had a look at the i7 but I'e taken 3 steps back...abit pricey!

I think I'll keep my G0 and get a Striker II...the NSE and Extreme are about the same price nowadays...which one is best?
  4. intense_mc said:
    Hi everyone...I need some advice so I thought I'd ask here. I generally try to find out as much as I can before I ask others but I can't find straight advice by googling.

I currently have a P5W-DH Deluxe & Q6600 G0 as I was pretty sure is was the best bang-for-buck a few years ago and truly, it is a great setup.

I want to upgrade to 64-bit but have next to no knowledge about what's good/great in 64-bit, but I'm looking for something equal to how the P5W and G0 was a few years ago in its' own category...modestly priced masterpieces. I've not followed hardware for a couple of years so what should I be looking at?

Also, I like the idea of SSD, SATA-3 and USB 3.0. Is that type of support available now in a motherboard or is it years away?

SSD is great but SATA 3 and USB 3 should be last on your list for things to consider when getting a board...most hard drives cant even come close to maxing out SATA I....Some raid configs of very fast hard drives can exceed SATA I. 99% of SSD's can't get above SATA II...some cant even get to SATA I. No hardware config or device i know of on a consumer level can break the SATA III barrier. USB 3.0 is good but we need HDD's to support it first unless you have external HDD's it shouldn't even matter for you.
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards CPUs Product