Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Dead hard drive

Last response: in Storage
March 30, 2011 1:14:58 PM

Hi!
I have a Samsung SATA HDD, after one time I tried to connect it to a PC using the external case it didn't work, all it did was make a weird click sound, but not like that "click of death".
The drive acts the same on a PC (even different ones), so it isn't the case's fault, other hard drives work fine and this one also did work fine.
I don't hope to get the data back, but it could be nice if I could, good stuff in there, so I can open it up (no need to worry about warranty) and maybe I can somehow test the board is damaged? I have another Samsung 500 GB HDD, this one is 320GB.
Here is a video with that noise: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzdiJwfaayM

More about : dead hard drive

a c 279 G Storage
March 30, 2011 1:26:42 PM

In my humble opinion, you don't want to play with fixing / replacing the board. It has never worked for me.

The classic approach here is to crack it out of the case, attach it directly to the SATA port, see if it works that way (what if it was the fault of your external case!) and, if not, and if the BIOS sees the drive, try software like Clonezilla to copy as much data as possible.
March 30, 2011 1:39:39 PM

Already tried. I only attached it to the case so I can record the sound, my PC fans are too loud :p 
The problem is that it Windows recognizes only the USB board, but not HDD, so it is not possible to read anything.
Btw, what about freezer?
Related resources
a c 279 G Storage
March 30, 2011 1:43:38 PM

Freezing works on such a small subset of problems that it is close to being an urban legend.

If the BIOS recognizes it, you have a chance to do recovery. You don't need Windows to recognize it. If the BIOS doesn't, I think you are in the multi-thousand-dollar professional recovery area. I did that once. Got the low price of $1,500, and it only took eight days on the bench.
March 30, 2011 1:57:32 PM

Wow, I have only heard about that "hardcore" recovery and heard that the prices are high, but never thought that high. So there isn't much luck with getting it repaired...
What are the usual symptoms of a faulty board?
a c 279 G Storage
March 30, 2011 2:04:06 PM

WG1337 said:
What are the usual symptoms of a faulty board?

Can't answer that. Anyone else?

Best solution

a b G Storage
March 30, 2011 2:36:45 PM

The main symptom of PCB failure is that the drive fails to spin up. Not the case here.

Repetitive clicking sounds like you have usually indicate failures that typically can not be repaired by an end user and would reqquire a full service data recovery company.

But I would first just verify that there is absolutely no sign of the drive in Disk Management and if so like WK says then you are looking at a costly data recovery.
March 30, 2011 3:55:50 PM

Best answer selected by wg1337.
!