Strange blue lines on my screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bidybag

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2007
I have suddenly had a problem with my computer. I rebooted it and there are strange blue lines on the left of the screen. They appear when booting the computer up, and when the computer is on. I was thinking it was a problem with drivers, but do drivers effect the computer while booting up?

I tried removing the drivers and downloading the latest Nvidia ones too. I also tried 2 different monitors, and i tried putting my graphics card in the other PCI express slot.

The strange thing is, when i tried to take a screenshot of these blue lines, they didnt appear on the screen, i can only see them with my eyes. I am wondering if my graphics card is faulty, do these symptoms sound like a faulty graphics card?

Bidybag

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2007
I cant run a test on it, its in 640 resolution and in something like 16 bit color and i can hardly see anything. I really dont know any video test applications either.

GraveyardJimmy

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2009

The hl2 image or the desktop image?

If its the hl2 image I had a problem like that caused by an overheating graphics card, the fan had stopped, but as also suggested it could be vram.

Bidybag

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2007
Desktop image. Mine is slightly worse though because when im booting up, all the text is muddled up and some sentences look like symbols and the text is out of line.

If it is showing those multiple lines,even at the POST screen it is almost certain the video RAM is at fault.

I do n't suppose this is still under warranty? Try to find the invoice and check out the suppliers website.

This is a absolute last ditch 'kill or cure' fix. Use it entirely at your own peril, and read the whole thread before you begin.
Two others here have used this, one worked, the other did not, so there is no guarantee it will work for you.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1421792.

Bidybag

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2007
That looks a little extreme for me so i have just ended up buying another graphics card which should come tomorrow.

Is it possible the motherboard is faulty and might damage my new graphics card? Or is it impossible for a motherboard to damage a graphics card?

Status
Not open for further replies.