Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Strange blue lines on my screen

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 27, 2009 10:49:53 PM

I have suddenly had a problem with my computer. I rebooted it and there are strange blue lines on the left of the screen. They appear when booting the computer up, and when the computer is on. I was thinking it was a problem with drivers, but do drivers effect the computer while booting up?

I tried removing the drivers and downloading the latest Nvidia ones too. I also tried 2 different monitors, and i tried putting my graphics card in the other PCI express slot.

The strange thing is, when i tried to take a screenshot of these blue lines, they didnt appear on the screen, i can only see them with my eyes. I am wondering if my graphics card is faulty, do these symptoms sound like a faulty graphics card?
July 28, 2009 12:12:47 AM

Your card might be overheating, you can check the temperature of your graphics card by downloading GPU-Z.
July 28, 2009 12:21:59 AM

But it does it while booting up, after the computer has been of. I already checked the temp too and it was fine
Related resources
July 28, 2009 5:08:32 AM

Sounds like bad video ram. Do a google search for video ram test and let us know how it goes.
July 28, 2009 11:13:27 AM

I cant run a test on it, its in 640 resolution and in something like 16 bit color and i can hardly see anything. I really dont know any video test applications either.
a c 358 U Graphics card
July 28, 2009 12:57:37 PM

Your monitor could be dying. Best way to test that is to connect it to another video card.
July 28, 2009 1:47:48 PM

I have tried it with 2 monitors and 2 different cables.

The first image on http://www.playtool.com/pages/artifacts/artifacts.html is a good example of what it looks like.

Is it possible that this is a motherboard problem, RAM or CPU problem? If not, then i can order a new graphics card and try that.
July 28, 2009 1:51:49 PM

Bidybag said:
I have tried it with 2 monitors and 2 different cables.

The first image on http://www.playtool.com/pages/artifacts/artifacts.html is a good example of what it looks like.

Is it possible that this is a motherboard problem, RAM or CPU problem? If not, then i can order a new graphics card and try that.

The hl2 image or the desktop image?

If its the hl2 image I had a problem like that caused by an overheating graphics card, the fan had stopped, but as also suggested it could be vram.
July 28, 2009 1:53:08 PM

Desktop image. Mine is slightly worse though because when im booting up, all the text is muddled up and some sentences look like symbols and the text is out of line.
a c 177 U Graphics card
July 28, 2009 5:09:23 PM

If it is showing those multiple lines,even at the POST screen it is almost certain the video RAM is at fault.

I do n't suppose this is still under warranty? Try to find the invoice and check out the suppliers website.

This is a absolute last ditch 'kill or cure' fix. Use it entirely at your own peril, and read the whole thread before you begin.
Two others here have used this, one worked, the other did not, so there is no guarantee it will work for you.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1421792.
July 28, 2009 5:20:00 PM

That looks a little extreme for me so i have just ended up buying another graphics card which should come tomorrow.

Is it possible the motherboard is faulty and might damage my new graphics card? Or is it impossible for a motherboard to damage a graphics card?
a c 177 U Graphics card
July 28, 2009 5:31:29 PM

Oh, go on! You know you want to:D 

I've not heard of motherboards taking other components with them. Powersupplies, yes but not motherboards.

July 29, 2009 7:02:06 AM

I think it's possible if you screw around and up the voltage going to it via the MB, but not possible on default settings.
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
August 19, 2012 8:01:07 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!