which is best for gaming/3d rendering (laptops)

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
April 22, 2004 2:06:24 PM

ok i have to choose from several laptops as my school will not suport
ALL laptops.
i have browsed through many of them BUT cant seem to get a strait
answer as to which is best.
here are my choices.
money is no issue BUT under 4k would be nice

MAC: any powerbook or ibook
DELL: Latitude or Inspiron
Gateway: Solos
IBM: Thinkpad
Toshiba: Satellite or Portege

this thing needs to be ruged as i will be bringing it to school
(college) every day. It needs to be reliable, i will be getting an
extra battery or two so that is not an issue. Proformance however is .
.. .
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 23, 2004 12:44:47 AM

None.

"burton" <tootainted@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> ok i have to choose from several laptops as my school will not suport
> ALL laptops.
> i have browsed through many of them BUT cant seem to get a strait
> answer as to which is best.
> here are my choices.
> money is no issue BUT under 4k would be nice
>
> MAC: any powerbook or ibook
> DELL: Latitude or Inspiron
> Gateway: Solos
> IBM: Thinkpad
> Toshiba: Satellite or Portege
>
> this thing needs to be ruged as i will be bringing it to school
> (college) every day. It needs to be reliable, i will be getting an
> extra battery or two so that is not an issue. Proformance however is .
> . .
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 23, 2004 12:44:48 AM

Dell Inspiron XPS is the best value. I realize $'s no issue but this is a
damn good laptop.

Alternatively, look at http://www.alienware.com
a b D Laptop
April 23, 2004 12:56:06 AM

To be more detailed, practically none of
the mainstream laptops have the graphics/
video power required for decent gaming and
3D rendering (note that I said "decent", not
tops). Only the very high end of the Fujitsu,
Dell and IBM lines approach the performance
of a midrange gaming setup -- and they cost
an arm and a leg.

dk

"Dan Koren" <dankoren@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> None.
>

> "burton" <tootainted@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > ok i have to choose from several laptops as my school will not suport
> > ALL laptops.
> > i have browsed through many of them BUT cant seem to get a strait
> > answer as to which is best.
> > here are my choices.
> > money is no issue BUT under 4k would be nice
> >
> > MAC: any powerbook or ibook
> > DELL: Latitude or Inspiron
> > Gateway: Solos
> > IBM: Thinkpad
> > Toshiba: Satellite or Portege
> >
> > this thing needs to be ruged as i will be bringing it to school
> > (college) every day. It needs to be reliable, i will be getting an
> > extra battery or two so that is not an issue. Proformance however is .
> > . .

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 23, 2004 1:02:33 AM

Never mind performance, make sure you get a good spell checker!

"burton" <tootainted@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> ok i have to choose from several laptops as my school will not suport
> ALL laptops.
> i have browsed through many of them BUT cant seem to get a strait
> answer as to which is best.
> here are my choices.
> money is no issue BUT under 4k would be nice
>
> MAC: any powerbook or ibook
> DELL: Latitude or Inspiron
> Gateway: Solos
> IBM: Thinkpad
> Toshiba: Satellite or Portege
>
> this thing needs to be ruged as i will be bringing it to school
> (college) every day. It needs to be reliable, i will be getting an
> extra battery or two so that is not an issue. Proformance however is .
> . .
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 23, 2004 12:44:44 PM

For rendering I uses Acer Aspire 1700 series (3G cpu, 1G ram, 17 inches
hi-res screen). It is slower from 2xAthlon 2.6G only 30%. Nice machine.

Regards,

K.Polak
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 23, 2004 12:46:38 PM

> To be more detailed, practically none of
> the mainstream laptops have the graphics/
> video power required for decent gaming and
> 3D rendering (note that I said "decent", not
> tops). Only the very high end of the Fujitsu,
> Dell and IBM lines approach the performance
> of a midrange gaming setup -- and they cost
> an arm and a leg.

You can load most of new Vidia or Radeaons to notebook. Why do you think is
not decent for renderings? I use standatd card on Sis chip and rendeing is
find, because it simply doesnt matter for rendering.

Regards,

K.Polak
April 23, 2004 1:45:52 PM

I have been looking at the Dell vs Apple.

Dell Inspiron XPS can be equiped with a 3.4 Ghz processor BUT for
windows that means cut it in half to get actual speed (yes i am a PC
user).
No where does it say on the dell page under specs the battery life
(which is always over exagerated) so i am assuming with this much
power, 1 hour tops :)
15" screen.
128MB DDR ATI's MOBILITY™ RADEON™ 9700 AGP 8X Graphics comes standard
(as to be expected)
second battery comes standard (told you it was 1 hour)
with a student discount i can get all this for 5000.00 (that included
2 gigs of ram. From what i heard these can break easy.

APPLE
powerbook 17" screen.
2 gigs, and 128MB DDR ATI's MOBILITY™ RADEON™ 9700 AGP 8X Graphics.
1.5 G4
80 gig 5700 HD
Keyboard : Full size, illuminated with ambient light sensor
Bluetooth and Airport Extreme (standard)
weighs 3 lbs less, average batter life 3 hours (as suggested by many
reviews)
quake 3 gets 100 fps (minimal) online play (big plus)
Never gets really hot and has a solid construction.

All i plan on useing the rendering for is Engineering software, 3ds
max (which i run on a 2 gig 1700amd(1.4ghz), FX 5600 256 at home just
fine, and maybe some games i like. (already checked game list and mac
supports the ones i like)
April 23, 2004 9:14:03 PM

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 00:24:37 +0100, Conor <conor_turton@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>In article <54f5d100.0404220906.b3d5eef@posting.google.com>,
>tootainted@yahoo.com says...
>> ok i have to choose from several laptops as my school will not suport
>> ALL laptops.
>> i have browsed through many of them BUT cant seem to get a strait
>> answer as to which is best.
>> here are my choices.
>> money is no issue BUT under 4k would be nice
>>
>> MAC: any powerbook or ibook
>> DELL: Latitude or Inspiron
>> Gateway: Solos
>> IBM: Thinkpad
>> Toshiba: Satellite or Portege
>>
>Non of the above. Check out Alienwares Extreme range.

Don't forget Sager!
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 24, 2004 2:40:26 PM

1. I dont know how quick is Max on Apple, maybe slower, maybe faster, thinkg
to check.

2. 17'', but resolution? Now, there are popular wide 17'', which is about
1200x900. It is too low to work with Max.

3. 15'' screen in my opinion is tooo small as well. My Acer has 17'' with
1280x1024 and it is not bad, however a touch bigger res could be good.

4. Regarding to graphic card, on my desktop I have got some good Vidia (dont
remember now what model exactly). I compared open gl, direct x and software
support for vieport. I prefer work in software mode. However for computer
games you need an accelerator (mind that with Apple you can have some
proboem with games and other applications)

5. If you are going to buy full P4 forget about long battery life. I use my
notebook mostly as desktop and moving just from time to time.

6. For Max you dont need 2G Ram. It is usefull, of course, especially if you
want at the same time use other applicatuion, but cost of two slips 1G is
huge. I chose just 2 x 0.5G. It is enough.

7. Regarding to Dell, I have heard bad things about their support and their
components, not only here. I avoid this company, even if they have goot good
prices for computers.

Regards,

K.Polak
April 24, 2004 2:40:27 PM

finaly someone that actually read the post in detail :)  TY.

"Krystian Polak" <kuzda@wp.pl> wrote in message
> 1. I dont know how quick is Max on Apple, maybe slower, maybe faster, thinkg
> to check.

maybe i will have to switch to maya for my laptop and keep using 3ds
max 6 on my pc. I tried to find some review for proformance on a mac
BUT couldnt.

> 2. 17'', but resolution? Now, there are popular wide 17'', which is about
> 1200x900. It is too low to work with Max.

the 17-inch PowerBook supports a resolution of 1440 by 900 pixels. I
too run my pc (apaturegrill) monitor at 1280 1024. why wont 900 work
with max? (just curious i thought it could work in any resolution)

> 3. 15'' screen in my opinion is tooo small as well. My Acer has 17'' with
> 1280x1024 and it is not bad, however a touch bigger res could be good.

I am stuck to using one of these (listed at original post) becuase my
school will not support other laptops.

> 4. Regarding to graphic card, on my desktop I have got some good Vidia (dont
> remember now what model exactly). I compared open gl, direct x and software
> support for vieport. I prefer work in software mode. However for computer
> games you need an accelerator (mind that with Apple you can have some
> proboem with games and other applications)

from what i have been reading about the games i am interested in most
all problems have been resloved. And apple even has an accelerator.
they have also reworke there OS to utilize the processor better. This
tells me something VERY important, that as the mac is used differently
Apple is right there for its customers to utilize the hardware the
best . . .

> 6. For Max you dont need 2G Ram. It is usefull, of course, especially if you
> want at the same time use other applicatuion, but cost of two slips 1G is
> huge. I chose just 2 x 0.5G. It is enough.

tell me about it 1K BUT even with all the upgrades on the PB 17" it
still is just 3500 (with student discount) throw in a extra batery,
airextreme hub, protection plan and a kool carrying case/book bag and
you get 4200 take one 1 gig dim and you get 3500 again . . . I just
figured the extra ram would REALLY help any games i played on the mac
(whats your opinion on this)

> 7. Regarding to Dell, I have heard bad things about their support and their
> components, not only here. I avoid this company, even if they have goot good
> prices for computers.

i have heard the same things, i have been reading reviews non stop on
all these laptops i have to choose from, and the mac by far looks to
be the winner in my book . . . but we will see.
April 24, 2004 2:40:27 PM

finaly someone that actually read the post in detail :)  TY.

"Krystian Polak" <kuzda@wp.pl> wrote in message
> 1. I dont know how quick is Max on Apple, maybe slower, maybe faster, thinkg
> to check.

maybe i will have to switch to maya for my laptop and keep using 3ds
max 6 on my pc. I tried to find some review for proformance on a mac
BUT couldnt.

> 2. 17'', but resolution? Now, there are popular wide 17'', which is about
> 1200x900. It is too low to work with Max.

the 17-inch PowerBook supports a resolution of 1440 by 900 pixels. I
too run my pc (apaturegrill) monitor at 1280 1024. why wont 900 work
with max? (just curious i thought it could work in any resolution)

> 3. 15'' screen in my opinion is tooo small as well. My Acer has 17'' with
> 1280x1024 and it is not bad, however a touch bigger res could be good.

I am stuck to using one of these (listed at original post) becuase my
school will not support other laptops.

> 4. Regarding to graphic card, on my desktop I have got some good Vidia (dont
> remember now what model exactly). I compared open gl, direct x and software
> support for vieport. I prefer work in software mode. However for computer
> games you need an accelerator (mind that with Apple you can have some
> proboem with games and other applications)

from what i have been reading about the games i am interested in most
all problems have been resloved. And apple even has an accelerator.
they have also reworke there OS to utilize the processor better. This
tells me something VERY important, that as the mac is used differently
Apple is right there for its customers to utilize the hardware the
best . . .

> 6. For Max you dont need 2G Ram. It is usefull, of course, especially if you
> want at the same time use other applicatuion, but cost of two slips 1G is
> huge. I chose just 2 x 0.5G. It is enough.

tell me about it 1K BUT even with all the upgrades on the PB 17" it
still is just 3500 (with student discount) throw in a extra batery,
airextreme hub, protection plan and a kool carrying case/book bag and
you get 4200 take one 1 gig dim and you get 3500 again . . . I just
figured the extra ram would REALLY help any games i played on the mac
(whats your opinion on this)

> 7. Regarding to Dell, I have heard bad things about their support and their
> components, not only here. I avoid this company, even if they have goot good
> prices for computers.

i have heard the same things, i have been reading reviews non stop on
all these laptops i have to choose from, and the mac by far looks to
be the winner in my book . . . but we will see.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 25, 2004 3:46:36 PM

> the 17-inch PowerBook supports a resolution of 1440 by 900 pixels. I
> too run my pc (apaturegrill) monitor at 1280 1024. why wont 900 work
> with max? (just curious i thought it could work in any resolution)

As I said, now on my 17'' I have got height 1024px and there could be more
space for vieports, modifier rollouts etc. But still not bad. However 100 px
less could make it inacteptable. It is only my opinion. Make test. Minimize
your Max window to this resolution and try to work. If you think it is fine,
so ok.

> I am stuck to using one of these (listed at original post) becuase my
> school will not support other laptops.

Ok, so you can always consider using external, bigger screen, if you
notebook can suport it (these days most of them do)

> Apple is right there for its customers to utilize the hardware the
> best . . .

I believe you. I have never try to use Mac fo gaming.

> tell me about it 1K BUT even with all the upgrades on the PB 17" it
> still is just 3500 (with student discount) throw in a extra batery,
> airextreme hub, protection plan and a kool carrying case/book bag and
> you get 4200 take one 1 gig dim and you get 3500 again . . . I just
> figured the extra ram would REALLY help any games i played on the mac
> (whats your opinion on this)

For gaming I dont think so. Finaly, for gaming, especially 3D, more
important is more memory on graphic card and it is better investment then
buying extra 1G Ram. On my desktop I have 2G only because I often use Max,
Photoshop and some other application in the same time with big projects. On
my notebook I have got 1G still using the same application, but not so
intensively and it is just fine.

> i have heard the same things, i have been reading reviews non stop on
> all these laptops i have to choose from, and the mac by far looks to
> be the winner in my book . . . but we will see.

Good luck :-)

K.Polak
April 25, 2004 3:46:37 PM

"Krystian Polak"
> As I said, now on my 17'' I have got height 1024px and there could be more
> space for vieports, modifier rollouts etc. But still not bad. However 100 px
> less could make it inacteptable. It is only my opinion. Make test. Minimize
> your Max window to this resolution and try to work. If you think it is fine,
> so ok.

i just set my screen to a 960 hieght it seems fine to me, i can always
switch it to profesional mode if i need more room, BUT that is what
the zoom buttons are for. The trick now is to track down a educational
version of Mac 3ds max 6 (i have emailed discreet for that).

> Ok, so you can always consider using external, bigger screen, if you
> notebook can suport it (these days most of them do)

Apple is great for external screens, in fact they come standard with
SO many options for video out and in. They even sell wide screen
extrenal screens for the notebooks. All of which apples will assume
the resolution of the screen you plug in with no fuss. I wouldnt need
one though because if i am using 3ds max on my mac it would be on the
go and not at a external screen as i have a 19" on my PC that already
has 3ds max 6. But it is a good thought.

> For gaming I dont think so. Finaly, for gaming, especially 3D, more
> important is more memory on graphic card and it is better investment then
> buying extra 1G Ram. On my desktop I have 2G only because I often use Max,
> Photoshop and some other application in the same time with big projects. On
> my notebook I have got 1G still using the same application, but not so
> intensively and it is just fine.

Well that is good to know, to save 600 dollars is good i can use that
on other stuff. If i find that i need it still i can always get it. It
comes with the 128mb ati 9700, there is nothing faster in their
computers, i kinda wish they would get the damn G5 in a powerbook, but
no one is really heavily programing 64 bit for programs, esp macs. So
maybe if i still like my mac i will upgrade to a 64 bit, but that is
way off.

thanks for providing your input. I may update this post when i
actually get my mac and use my programs on it, ie to rate proformance
etc. till then ciao.
-burton
!