robbyriley15

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2009
everything seems to be running in order and yet there is no beeps or display on the screen. i have read the sticked thread in which it says how to solve some of these problems but am not sure which of the methods to use.

speakers are not the same as a case speaker. If you have some other desktops around see if you can scrounge a case speaker from one of them. Most OEM cases come with one. It needs to be connected to the two pin speaker header on your motherboard. Once you get one and have it hooked up try again and see if you get some beep codes.

You'll need to start at the top of the checklist and work your way down. If you perform every step in the checklist, the chances are very good that you will find your problem. You can't just pick a step or two from the checklist to perform. #2 on the checklist is by far the most common new builder mistake, though.

robbyriley15

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2009
ok i've got it to boot now but i am not able to get to the bios menu it gives me a message that says express gate is not installed on your computer and then goes to give me the option to press delete to go to bios which i do when initializing the bios menu it has an error message saying no hard disk connected and then says please reboot and select proper drive or insert software into selected drive

It sounds like you're not pressing "delete" soon enough and the board is trying to find an operating system. I would press the delete key repeatedly starting as soon as you press the power button until the BIOS screen comes up. The motherboard owners manual should tell you exactly how to get into the BIOS.

Another possibility is that your keyboard isn't properly detected. Is the keyboard USB? Some motherboards have USB mouse/keyboard support disabled by default.

It sure would be nice if you posted the complete system specs so we knew what we were working with.

robbyriley15

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2009
sorry i understand whats its like to work with stupid people ill try and keep up. i get a screen that says it is initializing the bios after i press delete but while it is initializing it come up with an error that says something to the effect of no hard drive found then continues to a blank screen with a blinking cursor, and prints an error messsage that says "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key". i do believe that my usb keyboard is working properly but i will try to find a ps/2 and see if that would make a difference. also how hott is to hot for computer temp? thanks much.

specs
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Processor
Asus P5Q Motherboard - Intel P45, Socket 775, ATX, Audio, PCI Express 2.0, S/PDIF, Gigabit LAN, Firewire, USB 2.0, SATA, RAID
Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB Hard Drive ST31500341AS - 7200RPM, 32MB Cache, SATA-3G
Corsair XMS2 DHX 4096MB Dual Channel PC6400 DDR2 800MHz Memory (2 x 2048MB)
HIS Radeon HD 4850 Video Card - 512MB GDDR3, PCI Express 2.0, CrossFireX Ready, (Dual Link) Dual DVI, HDTV, HDMI Support, VGA Support
Apevia / Iceberg / 680-Watt / ATX / Dual 80mm Fan / 20/24 Pin / SLI-Ready / SATA-Ready

Your temps will vary depending on the ambient temperature. The MAX temp for an E8400 according to Intel is about 72C. You'll want to keep it quite a bit lower than that. I would say idling some where in the 30C - 40C range is typical during the summer.