Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4 will not overclock

pjmoses

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2011
Hi Everyone, I have a Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4 mobo with an Intel 2600k CPU and everytime I try to overclock I get a failure in BIOS. What settings should I use so that it will overclock and stay that way. Even EasyTune6 does not seem to work. Or should I say CPUZ does not show any rise in speed. Is there another way to check if it is working? I have been pulling my hair out trying to figure it out to no avail. Thanks everyone in advance.

First download Prime95 and install.

After appling the Overclock open up cpuz and start Prime 95.

Most likely the reason that you are not seeing the overclock is that at Idle the cpu will "down shift" to a low Speed unless you disable that feature in bios. However when you need the Horspower it should jump up to the OC speed.

Also Open a program to monitor temps and voltages. Need to verify stability @ OC and insure that your cooling and PSU are OK.
That is the function of Prime95, to test stability of CPU and memory. It also places the CPU at close to 100% utilization so will max out the cpu temp so this checks your PSU and Cooling. In real life you will not see this high of temps. To check out GPU, use furmark, it basiclly does the same but for the GPU.

If using the goverment issued HSF (LOL- Stock HSF), that is a very poor HSF, so what temps (the 4 core temps) to insure they do not go above 90C. 80 C is a better max and I prefer under 70 C for any OC. My I5-2500k @ 4.6 only hits upper 50's, low 60's, using the Zalman 9900max HSF.

On Voltages, pay attention to the vcore, max spec is around 1.5 V, should be less than 1.4. The +12 V rail. min spec is +11.4, but I use 11.6 as my min.

pjmoses

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2011

Will download Prime 95 and give it a shot. I do not think I will have a problem with cooling with my Thermaltake CLP0575 and 6 case fans. @ 4.5Gh it stays in the mid 30's. My voltage is @ 1.375.

pjmoses

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2011

Had something in BIOS wrong is why it would not overclock. While running Prime 95 for 30 minutes my temps never got over 55. Running like a champ now.