mnijee

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2009
I had an ECS KA3 MVP mobo that I seemed to have shorted last night in a failed attempt at overclocking my cpu. Yes, it really does suck to be me right now. I am a little worried I may have shorted my CPU as well, but I wont know until later tonight. *crosses fingers*

Well, assuming it is just my mobo, I am planning to pick up a mid-grade mobo tonight for a quick fix. But i'm wondering if it will be as easy as I am thinking...

After I swap out mobo's will it be necessary to reformat my computer? Or will all my info on my hard drive still be in tact?

masterasia

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
You will definitely need to do a clean install unless you're swapping it out with the same motherboard. Hopefully all the ram still works too. You might want to run Memtest86+ to see if you have any dead ram. Hopefully you're video card still works too. I've see shorted boards take out video card, expansion cards (wireless, raid, sound), ram, and CPU.

Sorry to scare you, but prepare for the worst.

mnijee

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2009
hey guys.

Well at first (after i upped the clock speed too high of a value), my computer was not rec'ing any power. I first assumed that it was my power supply, so i went out and purchased a new PSU. plugged everthing back in, tried powering it up again, and still nothing.

I was bummed. I automatically assumed i fried my mobo, and possibly even my cpu/gpu/etc. as maseresia was explaining.

But the next day after work, I didnt touch a thing and simply tried to boot up my computer again, and POWER I DID RECEIVE. i was so happy. the only problem at this point was that it would not post.

so from there, i tried to pull the battery for a few minutes which to reset the bios, which didnt work. Then I used the jumper to reset it, and it did in fact work.

My computer is finally up and running! woo-hoo.

to answer your question no i didnt get any smoke. but strange enough I wasnt getting any sort of power...

frwycop

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2010
To Youngster, what do you mean by "Then I used the jumper to reset it, and it did in fact work." what is that exactly . I just posted a new thread under Dell 8400. I think I fried my Mo Bo. You can e mail me at frwycop@myway.com
thanks Tony

mnijee

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2009

well i'm not sure if all mobo's are equipped with jumpers, but if can pull up your manual for your motherboard, the motherboard has a jumper that essentially short circuits the mobo so that the bios resets itself.

if you can find your manual to your mobo (go to the maker's website if you cant find it...they should have it there) and it may have a section on how to use your jumper.

but if you are sure that its fried i doubt its gonna help.

good luck.