Sign in with
Your question

Is my motherboard cooked or cpu?

Last response: in CPUs
October 7, 2009 2:07:27 AM

Ive done all the normal testing, resetting bios, 1 ram stick at a time, and heres what happens, I shut down my computer just fine the other night had no problems. woke up to turn it on, powered on but no video beep and no post. did a hard restart with power supply since its done this in the past. Now it stays on for 5 secs then reboots itself, no post still nothing. on 5 secs reboots ect indefinately. Now heres what i did notice, the CPU fan was inop so i replaced it with a working one new heatsink ect. still the same problem, tried a new ps, same issue. so back to orginal ps and new cpu fan/sink I unplugged the 4 pin 12v power supply connector and now the power stays on no post ect but it doesnt reboot itself. I tested the voltage and ground and they are correct within the power supply. So the main question is, Which is likely failed the MB or the CPU?

Specs: MB - Gigabyte GA-G33M-S2L
Intel E6600 Duo core ect
crucial ram
rosewill power supply, 550W
Geforce 8800gt

thats off the top of my head

Thoughts?

More about : motherboard cooked cpu

a c 159 à CPUs
a b ) Power supply
October 7, 2009 7:36:33 AM

I've never had a cpu fail unless it overheated. If your heatsink was always making good contact and the fan turning, I would favor the motherboard failing over the cpu. And Rosewill isn't the greatest power supply. If you replace the motherboard, I suggest a better brand of ps. I use antec, but ocz and corsair are also good.
October 7, 2009 9:50:09 AM

It sounds like a motherboard failure, possibly a voltage spike that damaged a capacitor, or voltage regulator. Rosewill PSU's are not the greatest to base a build around. If you are going to go cheap, go cheap on the Case and RAM. Always get a good quality PSU from any of the following: Antec, OCZ, PC P&C, Zalman, Corsair, BFG, Seasonic, or even Thermaltake.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b ) Power supply
October 7, 2009 4:51:02 PM

rosewill PSU's are unstable at best, but as far as the question at hand, i would say it is likely the motherboard and not the CPU. As stated above, if you plan on getting another MoBo, get a decent 500+ watt Corsair or PC Power & cooling PSU, it'll last forever and they are solid.
October 7, 2009 6:15:07 PM

Your saying it's not POST ing...

Do you see anything on the screen at all?
If you don't see any video at all (not even a curser) I would try a different monitor and a different video card (or use onboard video).

If you are getting some kind of video then it's pretty much a safe bet that you motherboard needs replacement/repair. (Check the warranty unless it's more than 1 yr old)

If it's not the monitor or video card, THEN I would suggest you go ahead and replace your motherboard.
October 7, 2009 6:18:43 PM

I would definitely say it's the motherboard NOT the CPU. If the CPU was toast the motherboard would beep.
October 7, 2009 7:16:38 PM

Alright ill give it a shot when i get home, the machines over a year old so its been due, its been decent except for the cruicial ballistix ram that failed early on, I'll look into getting a better psu and MB
October 8, 2009 3:23:58 AM

well swapped out mb's and the same effect, could a bad cpu cause reboots without any kind of beeping or any kind of video at all? Im stuck for now, i can try my cpu in a buddies machine which is a mirror of mine to see if the problem traces if not I dunno where to go with it.
October 8, 2009 5:01:10 AM

rosewill PSU's are bad everyone has problems with them, so my guess goes to the psu.
!