Considering new CD drive for my venerable Solo 2150 1.5.....

Tags:
Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
April 22, 2004 4:46:20 PM

Archived from groups: comp.laptops,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

I have a Solo 2150 version 1.5 laptop with a Pentium 3-600 Mobile CPU,
160 Megs of RAM, 6 Gig harddrive and running a dual Win98SE/WinXP Pro
configuration.

I was hoping to change out the stock CD-ROM drive for a DVD/CR-RW
drive or splurge on a slim internal DVD-R/-RW drive.

I've narrowed it down to two drives now but I'm not sure whether or
not they will fit in my system and in the case of the DVD-R drive if I
have enough horsepower to operate it adequately.

Here are the two models I'm interested in:

- TEAC 24X CD/10X CD-RW / 8X DVD Combo Drive Model: DW-224EA93
(Says it supports Gateway model laptops)

- TOSHIBA 24X10X24X / 2X DVD-RW Drive Model: SD-R6112
(Also says it supports Gateway model laptops)

And there's also a Sony model that seems to be similiar to the TEAC
drive speedwise but it says you'll need an OEM housing (I'm assuming
this means the housing my current CD-ROM drive is enclosed in?)

I'd prefer the DVD-R drive if it'd work, but the Sony one is
attratctive too price-wise.

Are there any cheap/affordable slim +R drives I should know about?

I know I'm asking alot, but if you could help me out here, it'd mean
alot to me.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 23, 2004 1:43:51 AM

Drives are fairly generic (but not entirely). But your biggest problem,
even if you get a drive that works, is: since every laptop's cd/dvd
drive's face plate (the front that has the eject button and the "hole") is
custom (are very rarely interchangeable.

How would I start? I would take the face plate off my Solo 2150's cd rom
drive, then go looking for a replacement drive that'll be able to use that
face plate. If the glove doesn't fit, then you must acquit. If it fits,
then you can go to the next step: determine whether that drive will work
in your system...
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 23, 2004 10:39:03 AM

Eran Ludvick <eranvick@vickerdom.com> wrote in message news:<b71g80l1l50vqve581ins32frjdbnn2flq@4ax.com>...
> I have a Solo 2150 version 1.5 laptop with a Pentium 3-600 Mobile CPU,
> 160 Megs of RAM, 6 Gig harddrive and running a dual Win98SE/WinXP Pro
> configuration.
>
> I was hoping to change out the stock CD-ROM drive for a DVD/CR-RW
> drive or splurge on a slim internal DVD-R/-RW drive.
>
> I've narrowed it down to two drives now but I'm not sure whether or
> not they will fit in my system and in the case of the DVD-R drive if I
> have enough horsepower to operate it adequately.

Can't help you with what will fit in your system, but in regards to
your hardware, you appear to have enough for good DVD decoding and
playback. I've read elsewhere that for good playback, 400MHz Celeron
would be the minimum for good playback. Note that in a laptop, 400MHz
would be on a 66MHz FSB, whereas your PIII 600 is on a 100MHz FSB, so
that won't be a choke point.

From my own experience, I get pretty good DVD playback (occasional
jerkiness, but not overly bad or annoying) on a Pentium I 233MHz
laptop, 64MB RAM, running the DVD via the PC card (PCMCIA) slot.
a b D Laptop
April 23, 2004 8:32:17 PM

Archived from groups: comp.laptops,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

On 23 Apr 2004 06:39:03 -0700, alordofchaos@yahoo.com (Anonymous Jack)
wrote:

>Eran Ludvick <eranvick@vickerdom.com> wrote in message news:<b71g80l1l50vqve581ins32frjdbnn2flq@4ax.com>...
>> I have a Solo 2150 version 1.5 laptop with a Pentium 3-600 Mobile CPU,
>> 160 Megs of RAM, 6 Gig harddrive and running a dual Win98SE/WinXP Pro
>> configuration.
>>
>> I was hoping to change out the stock CD-ROM drive for a DVD/CR-RW
>> drive or splurge on a slim internal DVD-R/-RW drive.
>>
>> I've narrowed it down to two drives now but I'm not sure whether or
>> not they will fit in my system and in the case of the DVD-R drive if I
>> have enough horsepower to operate it adequately.
>
>Can't help you with what will fit in your system, but in regards to
>your hardware, you appear to have enough for good DVD decoding and
>playback. I've read elsewhere that for good playback, 400MHz Celeron
>would be the minimum for good playback. Note that in a laptop, 400MHz
>would be on a 66MHz FSB, whereas your PIII 600 is on a 100MHz FSB, so
>that won't be a choke point.
>
>From my own experience, I get pretty good DVD playback (occasional
>jerkiness, but not overly bad or annoying) on a Pentium I 233MHz
>laptop, 64MB RAM, running the DVD via the PC card (PCMCIA) slot.

I was fairly sure that DVD playback wouldn't be a problem. I've
played a few DivX encoded AVIs and there was no slowdown at all.

Its nice to have some reassurance though. I still am kinda worried
about the fairly weak video processor (ATI Rage Mobility with 4 megs
of video ram) but I've heard of other people running DVDs on Solo
2150s without any problems.

When I refer to worrying about the DVD-R drive any my horsepower, I
was mainly worried about being able to burn DVD-R-RW discs. I'm not
sure exactly how much the processor or harddrive space will affect its
operation. I understand that notebook DVD-R drives are less powerful
than their desktop counterparts, but I'm not exactly thrilled about my
harddrive's chances of keeping up with one.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 23, 2004 11:53:22 PM

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 21:43:51 -0400, "bobchang"
<totallyincorrect@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Drives are fairly generic (but not entirely). But your biggest problem,
>even if you get a drive that works, is: since every laptop's cd/dvd
>drive's face plate (the front that has the eject button and the "hole") is
>custom (are very rarely interchangeable.
>
>How would I start? I would take the face plate off my Solo 2150's cd rom
>drive, then go looking for a replacement drive that'll be able to use that
>face plate. If the glove doesn't fit, then you must acquit. If it fits,
>then you can go to the next step: determine whether that drive will work
>in your system...

I didn't consider that. I just assumed that the placement was
standard or would be. The advertisements I've been browsing say the
drive *is* compatible with Gateway model laptops howeve, whatever that
really means.

Thanks for giving me the heads up on this. I never would have known
until I had the drive in hand!
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 24, 2004 8:40:07 AM

> >even if you get a drive that works, is: since every laptop's cd/dvd
> >drive's face plate (the front that has the eject button and the "hole") is
> >custom (are very rarely interchangeable.
>
> I didn't consider that. I just assumed that the placement was
> standard or would be. The advertisements I've been browsing say the

It depends on the laptop and your aesthetic sense. Most modern laptops
use a very low-profile faceplate which is more or less exactly the
area of the front of the drive, and rectangular. So color is really
the only major issue. Some older laptops used to have more elaborate
moldings, and/or unusual shapes; rounded ends, for example.

By and large, a given manufacturer will *generally* use the same
mounting screw positions between drives. Unfortunately, that isn't
entirely reliable :(

Note: You can of course hack it - cut off the posts on the back of the
faceplate, put the drive in the unit, and work out where to glue the
face onto the front of the drive.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 24, 2004 11:49:00 PM

Hacking it ain't gonna cut it. Why? 'Cause the eject buttons are not
located in the same place between drives (unless one drive is a close
cousin of another, such as an SD-2502 and a SD-2503...) Some face plates
are curved, while some are rectangular shaped, while still others are
odd-shaped, and the placements of the face plates are hugely different.

Anyway, once you've tried to do it - just once - of putting a face plate
from say, a Toshiba drive, onto a Matsushita drive, you'll know...
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 25, 2004 2:00:40 PM

On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 19:49:00 -0400, "bobchang"
<totallyincorrect@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Hacking it ain't gonna cut it. Why? 'Cause the eject buttons are not
>located in the same place between drives (unless one drive is a close
>cousin of another, such as an SD-2502 and a SD-2503...) Some face plates
>are curved, while some are rectangular shaped, while still others are
>odd-shaped, and the placements of the face plates are hugely different.
>
>Anyway, once you've tried to do it - just once - of putting a face plate
>from say, a Toshiba drive, onto a Matsushita drive, you'll know...

Okay, I just took a casual look at my cdrom drive. Let me get
something straight before I go on. By face plate, you mean the outer
plate facing of the drive where the eject button is located?

If so, I don't see how it can come apart from the drive unit itself.
It looks like its actually a part of the drive. I know some drives
are sold without face plates and others (probably brand specific
models?) do have them.

If the drive size matches up with my current drive size (face-plate
wise) shouldn't I be able to just swap faceplate and all?

I know the chances of an exact size matching are probably slim
considering all the different manufacturers, but I don't see how this
would be impossible unless there's something I'm missing.
!