Sign in with
Your question

Updating BIOS

Last response: in Motherboards
December 31, 2009 6:35:42 PM

I have an older Gateway 500C CTO. I want to upgrade the ram and was told I need to upgrade the BIOS first. Have the proper file. Have followed the instructions and saved it to a 3.5". Restarted the CPU and instead of seeing the Flash Memory update utility screen it says "Remove disks or other media. Press any key to restart" Please help. Thanks.

More about : updating bios

a c 435 V Motherboard
January 1, 2010 2:39:19 AM

You need to create a floppy bootdisk. I use a win98 bootdisk file. You can create one for free at bootdisk.com. or other websites. You power up with this bootdisk and your bios has to have the floppy as the first boot device. After the file finishes loading, replace the bootdisk with the floppy containing the new bios file. Then type a:D ir to see the new bios files. Write them down. Try each one until the flash program loads. Then follow the directions carefully. Let the program finish completely. It will tell you when to reboot, or do it automatically when it's finished.
January 12, 2010 12:02:11 AM

o1die said:
You need to create a floppy bootdisk. I use a win98 bootdisk file. You can create one for free at bootdisk.com. or other websites. You power up with this bootdisk and your bios has to have the floppy as the first boot device. After the file finishes loading, replace the bootdisk with the floppy containing the new bios file. Then type a:D ir to see the new bios files. Write them down. Try each one until the flash program loads. Then follow the directions carefully. Let the program finish completely. It will tell you when to reboot, or do it automatically when it's finished.

Thanks
a c 156 V Motherboard
January 13, 2010 4:33:19 PM

You need to follow the directions exactly. And you are better off using a bootable floppy than trying to flash inside Windows.
!