AMD Athlon x4 vs intel core 2 duo

intelx

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
just wondering, if we want to compare a core 2 duo 2.6 (E4700) vs Athlon x4 2.6 which one will operate faster for gaming? despite the facts that's im aware of that a core 2 duo has more cache and having 4 cores vs 2 but yes both have different architecture, and when comparing 2 different architecture clock speed and number of cores could mean less.

here is my question, would you recommend Athlon x4 over a core 2 duo E4700 for a gaming system?

ahslan

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2007
I do think the X4 would be a better purchase...not only would it help for future proofing you rig, but you should also definitely see a performance difference when multitasking, which a lot of ppl tend to do while gaming.

yeah you guys are right. For some reason i was thinking there was an Athlon and athlon 2. Must of though of the phenom and phenom 2 cpus. :lol:

intelx

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
lol !! Athlon || x4 or Athlon x4 as some people might call it both names, its the same exact one, AMD calls it Athlon || x4, on newegg same thing, but some people call it Athlon X4 but its the same one, how simple is that do you want more explaination caveman? its very stupid to argue about this insted of posting useful info.

aleccj1

Distinguished
May 15, 2009

I would recommend the Athlon X4. Remember, many soon-to-be-released games will support 4 cores.

smithereen

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2008
I did post something useful. I recommended you go with the Athlon II over the core 2 duo. I was making a joke about warmon6's comment, "I was thinking there was an Athlon and a Athlon II". There is definitely an Athlon processor that isn't an Athlon II. But all Athlon quads are Athlon IIs. See?