Sign in with
Your question

New Super Talent EXTREME's voltage?

Last response: in Memory
December 31, 2009 6:53:12 PM

Hi,

I just bought two 2 GB sticks of DDR2 800 Super Talent Extreme Performance RAM and put it in my home built system. I am running a Gigabyte MB, 3.0 Ghz core 2 Duo, and a 1 GB NVidia Geforce 9400 GT. I was getting alot of blue screen errors before and when I ran memtest 86, it said my Kingston RAM had gone bad. My system is overclocked to 3.4 Ghz and the BIOS automatically kicks the RAM frequency from 800 to 907. I assume maybe this is why my RAM went bad as I have never had any problems with Kingston.

So I put my new RAM in and started with no OC, system booted up great and no BSOD! But I noticed the system was very slow, so I put my OC back on and underclocked the new RAM to something like 756. Same thing.. then I put it back up to the way it was originally at 907 with 3.4 OC on processor but it still seems slow.

I have two questions.. #1, does anyone know what the MAX voltage for this memory is because currently my voltage in the BIOS is set to AUTO and it says the DDR2 volts is 2.1. I know that the norm is 1.8 and maybe the higher voltage screwed my last memory but this is supposed to by made for OC so I assume it will be ok.

2nd, the system is very slow partly because of having Mcafee security center installed but it is MORE slow now for some reason. I have disabled some of the startup items I have but when I click on an icon or something it is like there is a lag and it takes 5-10 seconds sometimes for anything to happen.
Does anyone know of anything I can do besides the following which I have already done: chkdsk several times, defrag, regcure, virus scans. I know that one obvious step would be to remove Mcafee but since this PC is so much slower than it has ever been WITH McAfee, I want to try to find the reason for it.

Thanks

Trea
a b } Memory
January 5, 2010 6:32:52 AM

Please do not post your email here; no one will reply to you through that and you open yourself up to spammers :p  I've removed your email address from your post.

In any case, if you really want to ensure stability, you'll have to push your OC setup through stress tests. What do you have available for this?
m
l
!