Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Phenom 2 X4 810 or pehnom 2 X4 945...

Last response: in CPUs
Share
October 7, 2009 5:32:57 AM

guys,which should i choose between those 2 processors??

right now i'm using phenom 2 X3 720 BE...if i want to replaced it,which is the better deal??

my card 4890 turbo 1GB DDR5...

my max m/b TDP is 95W...when i looked amd website,there's two type 945,one with 125 TDP and the others at 95 TDP...which one of those were right??

if there's no 945 with 95 TDP and choose the phenom 2 X4 810 (95 TDP),will it give any significant change compared to my current CPU?

More about : phenom 810 pehnom 945

a b à CPUs
October 7, 2009 5:40:20 AM

None of the above. You have a 720 BE. No need to for a new cpu.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
October 7, 2009 6:56:01 AM

What are your reasons for upgrading? The X3 720 is a pretty capable processor.
m
0
l
Related resources
October 7, 2009 1:21:12 PM

someguy7 said:
None of the above. You have a 720 BE. No need to for a new cpu.


bige420 said:
What are your reasons for upgrading? The X3 720 is a pretty capable processor.


hmmm the reason i think i should replace the cpu because i just bought 4890 tubro 1GB DDR5...n i think the cpu sufffers from bottleneck..don't u think??

the only way to solve it is by OC the cpu to at least maybe 3.4GHz..but i can't because my m/b TDP doesn't support over 95 TDP...so maybe instead i try to OC my cpu and damaged it eventually i should get a new one...

what do u think guys??

both processors i had in mind doesn't do significant changes from my current cpu?
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
October 7, 2009 3:59:15 PM

The only instances where you may see a significant change would be multi-threaded apps that could make use of the extra core. But in gaming it would be virtually identical performance. I doubt the X3 720 would be causing any bottlenecking with a single 4890.
m
0
l
a c 111 à CPUs
October 7, 2009 6:01:17 PM

lokee said:
~~~

the only way to solve it is by OC the cpu to at least maybe 3.4GHz..but i can't because my m/b TDP doesn't support over 95 TDP...so maybe instead i try to OC my cpu and damaged it eventually i should get a new one...

what do u think guys??



I think you answered your own question --- instead of a new CPU for $145-$175US buy: 1) For a single video card, probably the Asus Evo 785g AM3 motherboard; or 2) For a Crossfire (and no IGP) the Asus Evo 790x AM3 motherboard.

If you have a PCIe Gen1 motherboard it would probably be a slight bottleneck depending upon you games and resolution.

A new AM3 mobo would allow better clocks on your 720BE ... and might even unlock the fourth core :o 
m
0
l
October 8, 2009 1:14:29 AM

bige420 said:
The only instances where you may see a significant change would be multi-threaded apps that could make use of the extra core. But in gaming it would be virtually identical performance. I doubt the X3 720 would be causing any bottlenecking with a single 4890.


Wisecracker said:
I think you answered your own question --- instead of a new CPU for $145-$175US buy: 1) For a single video card, probably the Asus Evo 785g AM3 motherboard; or 2) For a Crossfire (and no IGP) the Asus Evo 790x AM3 motherboard.

If you have a PCIe Gen1 motherboard it would probably be a slight bottleneck depending upon you games and resolution.

A new AM3 mobo would allow better clocks on your 720BE ... and might even unlock the fourth core :o 


thanks guys :D 

now i understand...so instead of buying a new CPU,i should probably paying more attention to the others...

i think i will upgrade my case first into mid tower and then buy a new m/b with a 790 chip on it....to unlock to 4th core or achieve a decent OC,it doesn't have to be AM3 m/b right??i mean, biostar TA790GXB A2+ or biostar TA790GXE should be enough right???
m
0
l
October 8, 2009 3:24:34 AM

Having a new motherboard doesn't necessarily allow you to perform/OC better.

A PII x3 720 won't bottleneck a single GPU, even if it was the new 5870. Gaming doesn't require a quad-core CPU and because your CPU only has 3 cores, it actually has more cache per core than quads do, making it decent for gaming. The only reason why you would need to upgrade to a quad core is if you're into audio/video editing/conversion or encoding, all of which use all your CPU's cores.

On a side note, your CPU might not even have a usable 4th core. If you try to unlock it and it fails, it means you only have 3 usable cores on that CPU. Also, unlocking cores can make your CPU unstable, so just be aware of that.

Before you make any decisions on buying new stuff, please post your computer specs (motherboard, RAM, stock HSF or aftermarket?, what resolution you use). You might not even need to upgrade anything and just OC what you currently have.
m
0
l
a c 111 à CPUs
October 8, 2009 4:34:20 AM

Going with a DDR2 motherboard will work if you want to save a little money OR you can just sell your mobo, RAMs and an 'old' CPU - somebody will pay yah some good money - most likely more than pay for you upgrades.

The Crucial 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1333 is only $75. You are worth it

The reason I picked those Asus AM3 mobos was the MOSFET cooling and 8+2 power ( :D  ). You've also got eSATA, firewire, 8-channel audio, etc.

Quote:
Also, unlocking cores can make your CPU unstable, so just be aware of that.


It's possible. But if it unlocks most likely it will be stable. If not as noted, three fast cores with the IMC/NB at 2600MHz ain't too shabby.





m
0
l
a b à CPUs
October 8, 2009 8:22:55 AM

I was gonna post a whole message about how you should get an AM3 motherboard but im really drunk right now so i'll post it in the morning :D 
m
0
l
October 8, 2009 12:01:06 PM

kokin said:
Having a new motherboard doesn't necessarily allow you to perform/OC better.

A PII x3 720 won't bottleneck a single GPU, even if it was the new 5870. Gaming doesn't require a quad-core CPU and because your CPU only has 3 cores, it actually has more cache per core than quads do, making it decent for gaming. The only reason why you would need to upgrade to a quad core is if you're into audio/video editing/conversion or encoding, all of which use all your CPU's cores.

On a side note, your CPU might not even have a usable 4th core. If you try to unlock it and it fails, it means you only have 3 usable cores on that CPU. Also, unlocking cores can make your CPU unstable, so just be aware of that.

Before you make any decisions on buying new stuff, please post your computer specs (motherboard, RAM, stock HSF or aftermarket?, what resolution you use). You might not even need to upgrade anything and just OC what you currently have.


my spec :

PHENOM 2 X3 720BE @ 2.8GHz (default) :D 
HIS HD 4890 Turbo 1GB DDR5
BIOSTAR GF8100
4GB RAM (2 x 2GB PC5300 DDR2 V-Gen)
HDD 1 Seagate 7200RPM 80GB
HDD 2 WDC 7200RPM 320GB 16MB
DVD-RW SAMSUNG
POV BlackDiamond 500W True Power
SAMSUNG LCD 18.5" 933SN

any parts i should upgrade?

bige420 said:
I was gonna post a whole message about how you should get an AM3 motherboard but im really drunk right now so i'll post it in the morning :D 


hahahaha take ur time man :D  i'll wait for the review then....hehehehe
m
0
l
October 8, 2009 1:15:32 PM

lokee said:
my spec :

PHENOM 2 X3 720BE @ 2.8GHz (default) :D 
HIS HD 4890 Turbo 1GB DDR5
BIOSTAR GF8100
4GB RAM (2 x 2GB PC5300 DDR2 V-Gen)
HDD 1 Seagate 7200RPM 80GB
HDD 2 WDC 7200RPM 320GB 16MB
DVD-RW SAMSUNG
POV BlackDiamond 500W True Power
SAMSUNG LCD 18.5" 933SN

any parts i should upgrade?



hahahaha take ur time man :D  i'll wait for the review then....hehehehe


First and foremost I would upgrade the hard drive that you have you OS installed on, a new 640GB or larger Western Digital Caviar black or 500GB or larger Seagate Barracuda. If you have your OS installed on that old 80GB drive like I suspect you do then it will make a huge difference in your system performance to replace it.

Second item to replace is the motherboard. You have two paths you can follow here, you can buy an am2+ mobo and use your current ram, or you can get an am3 mobo and new ddr3 ram. Your budget will probably help you determine which way to go. Since the ram you have is almost half the speed that your processor supports it might be worthwhile to go ahead and get the am3 mobo and some ddr3 ram.

After that you can look at the cases(since that is probably more a cosmetic concern than anything else). I don't see any reason for you to upgrade your graphics card since you already have a very good one. But if you do want to add another one in xfire(since the 4890's are dropping in price) you will also need to look into a new power supply.
m
0
l
October 8, 2009 2:06:41 PM

immerstark said:
First and foremost I would upgrade the hard drive that you have you OS installed on, a new 640GB or larger Western Digital Caviar black or 500GB or larger Seagate Barracuda. If you have your OS installed on that old 80GB drive like I suspect you do then it will make a huge difference in your system performance to replace it.

Second item to replace is the motherboard. You have two paths you can follow here, you can buy an am2+ mobo and use your current ram, or you can get an am3 mobo and new ddr3 ram. Your budget will probably help you determine which way to go. Since the ram you have is almost half the speed that your processor supports it might be worthwhile to go ahead and get the am3 mobo and some ddr3 ram.

After that you can look at the cases(since that is probably more a cosmetic concern than anything else). I don't see any reason for you to upgrade your graphics card since you already have a very good one. But if you do want to add another one in xfire(since the 4890's are dropping in price) you will also need to look into a new power supply.


hmmm,maybe the 1st thing i do is to replace my mobo and i already had one in mind...biostar 790GX XE..i think it's cheap n decent for me...plus i don't have to worry bout casing,since it's micro ATX mobo...then maybe i would try to add more RAM's...

my OS installed on the seagate...is it make any difference if i installed it on my WDC 320GB on gaming performance??i'm using win 7 ultimate 7600 64BIT
m
0
l
October 8, 2009 2:38:19 PM

Trust me, the hard drive makes a huge difference in system responsiveness, boot time, loading in games, and etc.
Download the free version of hd tune and run it on each of your drives, then google for the scores on the newer drives I mentioned above, you'll see what I mean. Go ahead and post the results you get please.

http://www.hdtune.com/

Go ahead and get an am3 board, there is next to no price premium on them any more, same thing goes for the ddr3 ram. you can get 4GB of corsair 1600MHz cas9 ddr3 ram for $80
m
0
l
!