Sign in with
Your question

Help Having Low fps on 3dgames

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 28, 2009 10:15:27 AM

my specs are:
pentium D 2.80Ghz old stock
asus Fan cool master ?rpm
Asus P5KPL-AM SE (integrated gfx intel GMA 3100)
Power color HD2600 pro 512mb
1 Gb ddr2 667 Ram
160GB HD old stock
500W Power supply old stock
(this is like a mid range gaming pc)

the problem is i get low frames at all the games even on a simple PhysiX demo blocks i get low frames it gets lag i already installed the updated drivers. and it still lags any solutions for the prob?

you think it might be the thermal paste due to the old stock of the core processor?
or just incompatible codecs, files? should i use an Asus CCC?

More about : low fps 3dgames

July 28, 2009 10:51:11 AM

it's because you have hardly any memory, an absolutely rubbish processor, and an equally poor graphics card.

and it's more like a low-mid end gaming PC (when built)
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
July 28, 2009 12:12:05 PM

Petnium D's are obsolete by any standard, and simply can't drive modern GPU's. Plus, they overheat like mad, which could be making your problem even worse.

The GPU is ok...for 2006. But the HD2000 series was a bust, and simply isn't powerful enough for anything modern.

1GB RAM simply isn't enough anymore, even on XP. 2GB is considered the bare minimum, and even then, with RAM so cheap, 4GB (2x2GB) is the prefered RAM for most everyone here.
m
l
Related resources
a b Ĉ ASUS
July 28, 2009 12:23:42 PM

The other guys have been a little hard, I agree, but they are correct, the system is not particularly powerful.

But we can't all affod i7 Extreme processors and SLI GTX295s (I know I can't).

So. First, download and run GPUZ, this will tell you how hot the HD2600 is running, it should idle (Windows desktop, nothing else running) at 60-70C with a fan speed of under 2000 RPM.
Next Download and run Speed Fan, this will tell you how hot the CPU is: 40-45C at idle, again with a moderate fan speed.

When installing a CPU you MUST remove ALL the thermal compound from both the CPU and heatsink then apply new material before assembly. Also be vary careful to ensure the heatsink is fully seated, those pushpins can take quite a lot of force to lock correctly.
m
l
July 28, 2009 3:19:42 PM

thanks guys... for the harsh truth. but its good that you guys commented on my dilemna...ill be upgrading in a month or might take longer than that ( money dont grow on my pockets that easy XD)....
thing to upgrade:
DDR2 RAM>......less than a month
new GPU>.....a month or i might switch to nvidia 88 or stick with ati 3 or 4 series
new processor>might take even longer XD.... core 2 or quad...

ill check them when the build is done :D 
m
l
July 28, 2009 3:25:07 PM

I'd get a new processor, mobo, PSU, ram and graphics card at once.

Because, no new platforms use DDR2 ram, your mobo can't take any new CPU's, your PSU probably can't hold it all up, and a new set of ATi 5xxx graphics cards come out soon.
m
l
July 28, 2009 3:25:39 PM

coozie7 said:
The other guys have been a little hard, I agree, but they are correct, the system is not particularly powerful.

So. First, download and run GPUZ, this will tell you how hot the HD2600 is running, it should idle (Windows desktop, nothing else running) at 60-70C with a fan speed of under 2000 RPM.
Next Download and run Speed Fan, this will tell you how hot the CPU is: 40-45C at idle, again with a moderate fan speed.

When installing a CPU you MUST remove ALL the thermal compound from both the CPU and heatsink then apply new material before assembly. Also be vary careful to ensure the heatsink is fully seated, those pushpins can take quite a lot of force to lock correctly.

thanks for answers i appreciate it...:D 
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
July 28, 2009 5:03:30 PM

Agree. Check to see what CPU's your mobo supports, as thats the main holdup on everything else. RAM would be next (2x2GB is ideal), followed by the GPU (prices should have dropped by then).
m
l
July 28, 2009 5:27:04 PM

gamerk316 said:
Agree. Check to see what CPU's your mobo supports, as thats the main holdup on everything else. RAM would be next (2x2GB is ideal), followed by the GPU (prices should have dropped by then).

:D  yeah. my mobo supports core2quad/core2 xtreme/ core2duo/pentiumD/
P4/ celeron e1000/ and celeron 400

has 533/800/1066/1333 FSB
only has 2x240 pin DIMM 4GB 1066/800/667 DDR2

:D  it'll take a while to upgrade this old rig :D 

quad cores prices so as the i7core is still high here....
im going for core 2 duo.... :D  thanks for the suggesting ill keep those in my mind :D 
m
l
July 28, 2009 6:18:37 PM

coozie7 said:

oh i have one more thing to add is it bad if i used the override of catlyst to set my gpu to 640mhz 440mhz memory? or should i restore it to 600x400mhz?
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
July 28, 2009 6:26:30 PM

I would say that is a good idea, but what are the CPU and GPU temperatures?
m
l
July 29, 2009 6:06:01 AM

coozie7 said:
I would say that is a good idea, but what are the CPU and GPU temperatures?

i already downloaded the monitoring programs like you said speed fan and gpuz i also have an asus probe which came when i installed the mobo

Speed fan 4.38 idle
Cpu0 Fan: 2557rpm
system: 43-44C
Cpu: 47-52C
Aux: 47-52C
HD:40C

GPUZ:idle
GPU Temp: 62-63C
Fan Speed: 36%

Asus Probe:
Vcore: 1.26v
Cpu: 47C
Cpu fan: 2556rpm
MB temp: 44C

is it bad? i keep seeing the speed fan animation having a flame icon on cpu and aux?:??: 
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
July 29, 2009 11:14:32 AM

The CPU seems a little high, and the fan seems to be working hard to keep it at that leval.
When you installed the CPU and heatsink did you clean off and replace the thermal compound? If not you should do so, I have a feeling it will drop those temperatures and slow that buzzing fan down as well.
The GPU seems fine, average temperatures, average fan speed, it's OK.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
July 29, 2009 12:23:36 PM

Its a Pentium D; those things can MELT if you're not careful. I'm shocked anyone can keep them under 70C, period, quite frankly...
m
l
July 29, 2009 6:41:56 PM

coozie7 said:
The CPU seems a little high, and the fan seems to be working hard to keep it at that leval.
When you installed the CPU and heatsink did you clean off and replace the thermal compound? If not you should do so, I have a feeling it will drop those temperatures and slow that buzzing fan down as well.

nope i forgot to clean and buy a thermal paste/strip somehow the local cpu hardwares are out of it..... well ill try this weekend and maybe score a ddr2 667 by then :D  thanks man ill be posting updates by then :D 
m
l
August 3, 2009 3:13:39 PM

coozie7 said:

hi coozie :D 
i already change the thermal paste like you said and yep the temp went down abit.
upgraded my ram for 2gb for the while..
i tested my video card with an ageia Physix hardware demo boxes, u just shoot the box with the sphere and see how the boxes scatter somehow it slows down :( .... would i change my video card? ati - nvidia?
m
l
!