Best Brand for College

This August I'll be going off to college. I've already decided that I
want a laptop, but I'm not sure which brand is best. I'll be going to
a small school, so I think I'd prefer a desktop replacement rather
than a laptop designed for mobility. The only place it will travel
between is the campus and my house for the holidays. Otherwise, it's
just going to be small and out of the way in my tiny dorm.

Mostly, my problem is which brand to get. I can easily go from there.
Most people suggest getting a Dell, but they only say that because
it's the only company they really know. I've only ever had Gateway
computers. I've heard from a few people that Sony also has some nice
products. I know I don't want a Compaq. You get what you pay for
with them.

Any suggestions?
19 answers Last reply
More about best brand college

    Beware of Gateway due to their financial situation. There have been horror
    stories posted about Sony service. I'd suggest seeing what the campus
    bookstore sells. Then you'll have an idea if your college might be all MAC
    or PC. Any laptop computer will do what you need in college. The issue is
    when it stops doing what you need, who can fix it quickly. IBM has a very
    good warranty with excellent service, in my experiences. Dell is also
    well-known and you should check their warranty terms regarding shipping the
    computer to Dell to be fixed.

    "Kim" <ladybulma@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > This August I'll be going off to college. I've already decided that I
    > want a laptop, but I'm not sure which brand is best. I'll be going to
    > a small school, so I think I'd prefer a desktop replacement rather
    > than a laptop designed for mobility. The only place it will travel
    > between is the campus and my house for the holidays. Otherwise, it's
    > just going to be small and out of the way in my tiny dorm.
    >
    > Mostly, my problem is which brand to get. I can easily go from there.
    > Most people suggest getting a Dell, but they only say that because
    > it's the only company they really know. I've only ever had Gateway
    > computers. I've heard from a few people that Sony also has some nice
    > products. I know I don't want a Compaq. You get what you pay for
    > with them.
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    "Kim" <ladybulma@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > This August I'll be going off to college. I've already decided that I
    > want a laptop, but I'm not sure which brand is best. I'll be going to
    > a small school, so I think I'd prefer a desktop replacement rather
    > than a laptop designed for mobility. The only place it will travel
    > between is the campus and my house for the holidays. Otherwise, it's
    > just going to be small and out of the way in my tiny dorm.
    >
    > Mostly, my problem is which brand to get. I can easily go from there.
    > Most people suggest getting a Dell, but they only say that because
    > it's the only company they really know. I've only ever had Gateway
    > computers. I've heard from a few people that Sony also has some nice
    > products. I know I don't want a Compaq. You get what you pay for
    > with them.
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    I sent my kids away to college
    equipped with Fujitsu laptops.

    In my opinion Fujitsu is the
    best value in laptops. Very
    good balance of features and
    performance, topnotch screens,
    very good reliability and
    excellent support -- all at
    reasonable (not rock bottom)
    prices.

    dk

    John wrote:
    > Beware of Gateway due to their financial situation. There have been horror
    > stories posted about Sony service. I'd suggest seeing what the campus
    > bookstore sells. Then you'll have an idea if your college might be all MAC
    > or PC. Any laptop computer will do what you need in college. The issue is
    > when it stops doing what you need, who can fix it quickly. IBM has a very
    > good warranty with excellent service, in my experiences. Dell is also
    > well-known and you should check their warranty terms regarding shipping the
    > computer to Dell to be fixed.
    >
    > "Kim" <ladybulma@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>This August I'll be going off to college. I've already decided that I
    >>want a laptop, but I'm not sure which brand is best. I'll be going to
    >>a small school, so I think I'd prefer a desktop replacement rather
    >>than a laptop designed for mobility. The only place it will travel
    >>between is the campus and my house for the holidays. Otherwise, it's
    >>just going to be small and out of the way in my tiny dorm.
    >>
    >>Mostly, my problem is which brand to get. I can easily go from there.
    >> Most people suggest getting a Dell, but they only say that because
    >>it's the only company they really know. I've only ever had Gateway
    >>computers. I've heard from a few people that Sony also has some nice
    >>products. I know I don't want a Compaq. You get what you pay for
    >>with them.
    >>
    >>Any suggestions?

    Hi,
    I have two kids in college(engineering and medicine). One started with
    PC Laptop(Toshiba), one with iBook. They're both happy. They share
    things(files, printer) through WAP/router when together.
    It's your choice.
    Tony

    Kim wrote:

    > This August I'll be going off to college. I've already decided that I
    > want a laptop, but I'm not sure which brand is best. I'll be going to
    > a small school, so I think I'd prefer a desktop replacement rather
    > than a laptop designed for mobility. The only place it will travel
    > between is the campus and my house for the holidays. Otherwise, it's
    > just going to be small and out of the way in my tiny dorm.
    >
    > Mostly, my problem is which brand to get. I can easily go from there.
    > Most people suggest getting a Dell, but they only say that because
    > it's the only company they really know. I've only ever had Gateway
    > computers. I've heard from a few people that Sony also has some nice
    > products. I know I don't want a Compaq. You get what you pay for
    > with them.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    Hi,
    Actually most college has micro store within the campus. You may get a
    deal through the store. Check it out B4 you decide to buy at any store.
    Tony

    Kim <ladybulma@hotmail.com> wrote:
    > This August I'll be going off to college. I've already decided that I
    > want a laptop, but I'm not sure which brand is best. I'll be going to
    > a small school, so I think I'd prefer a desktop replacement rather
    > than a laptop designed for mobility. The only place it will travel
    > between is the campus and my house for the holidays. Otherwise, it's
    > just going to be small and out of the way in my tiny dorm.
    >
    > Mostly, my problem is which brand to get. I can easily go from there.
    > Most people suggest getting a Dell, but they only say that because
    > it's the only company they really know. I've only ever had Gateway
    > computers. I've heard from a few people that Sony also has some nice
    > products. I know I don't want a Compaq. You get what you pay for
    > with them.
    >
    > Any suggestions

    My votes are for the Fujitsu and iBook. Both very solid. If you shop
    online at the Apple site, make sure you click on the education store
    and select your school. You will save somewhere between $100 - $200.

    Good idea -- desktop replacement. But check with the IT dept of the
    school first; they likely have a web site with such info. Things you
    will want to know:

    o Do they have any minimum or prefered configurations and software?
    That could mitigate against (or for) an iBook

    o Do they have campus-wide wireless LANs (pretty common these days)?

    o Do they want you to use them in classes (I know of one local high
    school that requires that for enrollment in advanced classes)?

    If the latter, you may want a smaller machine and/or better battery life
    than otherwise (in your dorm or whatever you will likely stay plugged in).

    Phil

    Kim wrote:
    > This August I'll be going off to college. I've already decided that I
    > want a laptop, but I'm not sure which brand is best. I'll be going to
    > a small school, so I think I'd prefer a desktop replacement rather
    > than a laptop designed for mobility. The only place it will travel
    > between is the campus and my house for the holidays. Otherwise, it's
    > just going to be small and out of the way in my tiny dorm.
    >
    > Mostly, my problem is which brand to get. I can easily go from there.
    > Most people suggest getting a Dell, but they only say that because
    > it's the only company they really know. I've only ever had Gateway
    > computers. I've heard from a few people that Sony also has some nice
    > products. I know I don't want a Compaq. You get what you pay for
    > with them.
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    I sent one son off last year and another this year. Here's what they said
    was important to them:
    * desktop replacement, not laptop
    * widescreen for DVD playing
    * combo DVD player and CD burner
    * widescreen for having 2 documents up at the same time (i.e., a Word
    document and an Excel document to make cutting and pasting easier)
    * some widescreen laptops now have a full number keypad to the right of the
    alphabet keys just like a desktop keyboard -- that is really handy when
    inputting numbers! (if you don't get one of these wide keyboards with the
    numberpad then spend the $40 and get a USB numberpad if you are going to be
    doing any type of scientific, engineering or statistic inputs)
    * battery life wasn't that important but a second charged battery is useful
    from time to time
    * heat from the laptop is critical. You are probably going to keep it on
    all the time (instant messages, AOL, campus intranet, etc.) so you want a
    CPU that was designed for laptop and/or you want to buy a little laptop
    stand to keep the air under the laptop circulating (my older son has his
    laptop up on 4 3x3 postit note pads)
    * a lock to keep your laptop from wandering off
    * max-out the RAM memory!!! Get as much RAM as possible. All your programs
    will function better for the next 4 years if you maximize the memory now --
    you won't get around to it later.

    The brand itself wasn't important. The first son got a Gateway and the
    second is leaning toward a Toshiba, I think. The features were important to
    them.

    A lot of people are using their laptops for note taking in class. The
    machine I described above is going to be a burden to do that -- too large to
    lug around... maybe 7-10 pounds. If you are wanting to take notes in class
    with the laptop, then you can certainly get a smaller one (4-5 pounds) and
    get the DVD/CDrom drive, the numberpad and other add-ons as USB accessories
    and lighten your load. If you are going to carry it to the library or to
    class I suggest a well padded bag or backpack.

    Good luck!! Enjoy!! If you see my sons on campus, tell them to email me
    from time-to-time!!!

    --
    Marty S.
    Baltimore, MD USA

    "Kim" <ladybulma@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > This August I'll be going off to college. I've already decided that I
    > want a laptop, but I'm not sure which brand is best. I'll be going to
    > a small school, so I think I'd prefer a desktop replacement rather
    > than a laptop designed for mobility. The only place it will travel
    > between is the campus and my house for the holidays. Otherwise, it's
    > just going to be small and out of the way in my tiny dorm.
    >
    > Mostly, my problem is which brand to get. I can easily go from there.
    > Most people suggest getting a Dell, but they only say that because
    > it's the only company they really know. I've only ever had Gateway
    > computers. I've heard from a few people that Sony also has some nice
    > products. I know I don't want a Compaq. You get what you pay for
    > with them.
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    "Kim" <ladybulma@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > This August I'll be going off to college. I've already decided that I
    > want a laptop, but I'm not sure which brand is best. I'll be going to
    > a small school, so I think I'd prefer a desktop replacement rather
    > than a laptop designed for mobility. The only place it will travel
    > between is the campus and my house for the holidays. Otherwise, it's
    > just going to be small and out of the way in my tiny dorm.
    >
    > Mostly, my problem is which brand to get. I can easily go from there.
    > Most people suggest getting a Dell, but they only say that because
    > it's the only company they really know. I've only ever had Gateway
    > computers. I've heard from a few people that Sony also has some nice
    > products. I know I don't want a Compaq. You get what you pay for
    > with them.
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    I'm heading out to college at the end of the summer, and I had the same
    problem as you. What I ended up doing was building a system in a Shuttle
    cube case with a 17" LCD, weighs about 19 pounds all in all. Then I got a
    Dell Axim X5 with the fold-out keyboard for taking to class and taking
    notes. Just an alternative suggestion to a non-upgradable laptop.

    Aaron

    Hi Kim,

    I would strongly recommend the HP Pavilion zd7000xx series of laptops. They are fairly large (weighs in at 9.5lbs), but it has a
    17" WXGA and a full size keyboard including a numeric keypad. I have have been using my HP Pavilion zd7010us for about 5 months
    now and all I can say is that it has handled everything I have thrown at it. I am a programmer, and my computer gets a workout
    daily.

    When I go to meetings (when you go to classes), the HP Pavilion zd7010us is a bit cumbersome. I use a Palm Tungsten|T and
    folding keyboard for taking notes. When I get a chance, I just hotsync them over to my laptop.

    Ciao . . .
    C.Joseph

    ++ Let know man judge me until . . .
    he has walked the road I have . . .
    in the shoes I've worn. ++

    http://kalek1.home.mindspring.com

    Kim wrote:
    > This August I'll be going off to college. I've already decided that I
    > want a laptop, but I'm not sure which brand is best. I'll be going to
    > a small school, so I think I'd prefer a desktop replacement rather
    > than a laptop designed for mobility. The only place it will travel
    > between is the campus and my house for the holidays. Otherwise, it's
    > just going to be small and out of the way in my tiny dorm.
    >
    > Mostly, my problem is which brand to get. I can easily go from there.
    > Most people suggest getting a Dell, but they only say that because
    > it's the only company they really know. I've only ever had Gateway
    > computers. I've heard from a few people that Sony also has some nice
    > products. I know I don't want a Compaq. You get what you pay for
    > with them.
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    Try out the Fujitsu N5010. Great screen and many features.

    "Kim" <ladybulma@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > This August I'll be going off to college. I've already decided that I
    > want a laptop, but I'm not sure which brand is best. I'll be going to
    > a small school, so I think I'd prefer a desktop replacement rather
    > than a laptop designed for mobility. The only place it will travel
    > between is the campus and my house for the holidays. Otherwise, it's
    > just going to be small and out of the way in my tiny dorm.
    >
    > Mostly, my problem is which brand to get. I can easily go from there.
    > Most people suggest getting a Dell, but they only say that because
    > it's the only company they really know. I've only ever had Gateway
    > computers. I've heard from a few people that Sony also has some nice
    > products. I know I don't want a Compaq. You get what you pay for
    > with them.
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    I'd recommend an IBM Thinkpad or a Toshiba model made by Toshiba in
    Japan (these have 15 volt power adapters, while the Toshiba models made
    for Toshiba in Taiwan have 19 volt power adapters).

    Kim wrote:

    > This August I'll be going off to college. I've already decided that I
    > want a laptop, but I'm not sure which brand is best. I'll be going to
    > a small school, so I think I'd prefer a desktop replacement rather
    > than a laptop designed for mobility. The only place it will travel
    > between is the campus and my house for the holidays. Otherwise, it's
    > just going to be small and out of the way in my tiny dorm.
    >
    > Mostly, my problem is which brand to get. I can easily go from there.
    > Most people suggest getting a Dell, but they only say that because
    > it's the only company they really know. I've only ever had Gateway
    > computers. I've heard from a few people that Sony also has some nice
    > products. I know I don't want a Compaq. You get what you pay for
    > with them.
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    Which mother board, processor and maybe recommended dealer?

    "Alesandra" <rubyebbyrdNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Which mother board, processor and maybe recommended dealer?

    I'm partial to Shuttle, AMD, and Newegg. If you go here
    http://tinyurl.com/2j6td , it's a barebones system. Just add RAM, HDD,
    optical drive, CPU, and a vid and sound ard if you want it. Mine ran me
    about $1,250, shipped to Florida. AMD 2500+ Barton, 1 GB PC 3200 Geil RAM,
    80 GB Western Digital HDD, Lite-On CD-RW/DVD combo drive, ATI 9600XT, and a
    17" AOC LCD. The Shuttle 'system' is the nifty Small Form Factor case, the
    MB, and the PSU. It also comes with pre-fit HDD/FDD cables, and /very/
    detailed instructions for assembly. If you go this route, FOLLOW THE
    INSTRUSTIONS. It'll save you a lot of grief, trying to get everything to
    fit properly. ;)

    Aaron

    BTW: NewEgg rocks for /any/ computer-related hardware. Might not be the
    /best/ price, but their service is first calss. I build computers on the
    side and have spent well over $20K there, never had a single problem.

    Good enuf for me, thanks

    On 22 Apr 2004 13:07:26 -0700, ladybulma@hotmail.com (Kim) wrote:

    >This August I'll be going off to college. I've already decided that I
    >want a laptop, but I'm not sure which brand is best. I'll be going to
    >a small school, so I think I'd prefer a desktop replacement rather
    >than a laptop designed for mobility. The only place it will travel
    >between is the campus and my house for the holidays. Otherwise, it's
    >just going to be small and out of the way in my tiny dorm.
    >
    >Any suggestions?

    I've purchased two laptops from www.powernotebooks.com and been very
    pleased. If you do some research you'll find that they are very well
    regarded and you won't find any complaints but much praise for their
    products and service. Not many companies where you get to communicate
    on a regular basis with the owner of the company like you do with
    these guys. I can't say enough good things about them.

    No affiliation with them, just a very satisfied customer.

    Ray Trautman

    > I would strongly recommend the HP Pavilion zd7000xx series of laptops.
    >> This August I'll be going off to college. I've already decided that I
    >> want a laptop, but I'm not sure which brand is best. I'll be going to
    >> a small school, so I think I'd prefer a desktop replacement rather

    LOL!

    Please, avoid HP/Compaq!!!!

    Please look at this file:

    (from http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1187349,00.asp )

    This is the 2003 User Reliability report from PC Magazine after
    surveying thousands of owners.

    ----------------------

    HP/Compaq (now a combined company) have among the worst of the
    reliability rankings (HP: average + Compaq: below average).

    You can easily save yourself lots of grief and repair bills by
    buying one of the much more reliabile notebooks (here: Toshiba is their
    #1 in both reliability, and more importantly overall satisfaction).

    This will set you back about $1000 and you can get a very nice
    Toshiba Satellite with this amount (see www.csd.toshiba.com for their
    current products) (eg. A10, A45 series).

    ---

    On sale this week at CompUSA:
    http://www.compusa.com/products/products.asp?N=200006+400115&Ne=400000&Ns=retail%5fprice%7c0&CusaNe=200004

    (eg. Satellite A45-S121 at Compusa for $999.97 fully loaded and
    ==MORE== than enough everything for what you need.)

    (You can always spend more for the M30, P15, P25 series if you want
    something with a wide-screen, TV tuner, etc at $1500+.)

    Simply make sure the model you buy has at least a CD-RW burner to
    backup your files (if not a better DVD burner for more money), and
    you'll be okay (the A45-S121 above does).

    If your college has a wireless network, then get a model with WiFi
    built-in as well (not a big thing if you're using their ethernet/wired
    campus connections; you can always buy a $20 WiFi card later as well.)

    Buy Microosft Office (word, excel, etc) at a student discount from
    your college bookstore -- it's far cheaper.

    ----

    When you're done with that, consider adding their Toshiba 3/4 year
    SystemGudard Accidental Damage Coverage (you buy this directly from
    Toshiba, see Laptop contents for details). This is about $199-299, and
    will cover everything, including broken LCD screens (very expensive to
    replace, usually $500+) even if it's broken by accident.

    This is a recommended thing if you are the type to break things
    often; otherwise, if you are careful with everything and don't mind
    buying another laptop if you drop and break it, then forget it.

    This will cover you for the years you're at college so you don't
    have to worry about the laptop.

    ----

    Let me know if you have Q's.

    #1 in both reliability, and more importantly overall satisfaction).

    "David Chien" <chiendh@uci.edu> wrote in message
    > > I would strongly recommend the HP Pavilion zd7000xx series of laptops.
    > >> This August I'll be going off to college. I've already decided that I
    > >> want a laptop, but I'm not sure which brand is best. I'll be going to
    > >> a small school, so I think I'd prefer a desktop replacement rather
    >
    > LOL!
    >
    > Please, avoid HP/Compaq!!!!
    >
    > Please look at this file:
    >
    > (from http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1187349,00.asp )
    >
    > This is the 2003 User Reliability report from PC Magazine after
    > surveying thousands of owners.
    >
    > ----------------------
    >

    > HP/Compaq (now a combined company) have among the worst of the
    > reliability rankings (HP: average + Compaq: below average).
    >
    > You can easily save yourself lots of grief and repair bills by
    > buying one of the much more reliabile notebooks (here: Toshiba is their
    > #1 in both reliability, and more importantly overall satisfaction).
    >
    > This will set you back about $1000 and you can get a very nice
    > Toshiba Satellite with this amount (see www.csd.toshiba.com for their
    > current products) (eg. A10, A45 series).
    >
    > ---
    >

    > On sale this week at CompUSA:

    http://www.compusa.com/products/products.asp?N=200006+400115&Ne=400000&Ns=retail%5fprice%7c0&CusaNe=200004

    > (eg. Satellite A45-S121 at Compusa for $999.97 fully loaded and
    > ==MORE== than enough everything for what you need.)
    >
    > (You can always spend more for the M30, P15, P25 series if you want
    > something with a wide-screen, TV tuner, etc at $1500+.)
    >
    > Simply make sure the model you buy has at least a CD-RW burner to
    > backup your files (if not a better DVD burner for more money), and
    > you'll be okay (the A45-S121 above does).
    >
    > If your college has a wireless network, then get a model with WiFi
    > built-in as well (not a big thing if you're using their ethernet/wired
    > campus connections; you can always buy a $20 WiFi card later as well.)
    >
    > Buy Microosft Office (word, excel, etc) at a student discount from
    > your college bookstore -- it's far cheaper.
    >
    > ----
    >
    > When you're done with that, consider adding their Toshiba 3/4 year
    > SystemGudard Accidental Damage Coverage (you buy this directly from
    > Toshiba, see Laptop contents for details). This is about $199-299, and
    > will cover everything, including broken LCD screens (very expensive to
    > replace, usually $500+) even if it's broken by accident.
    >
    > This is a recommended thing if you are the type to break things
    > often; otherwise, if you are careful with everything and don't mind
    > buying another laptop if you drop and break it, then forget it.
    >
    > This will cover you for the years you're at college so you don't
    > have to worry about the laptop.
    >
    > ----
    >
    > Let me know if you have Q's.

    I argree with avoiding HP/Compaq. I helped a friend to add memory to a
    Compaq laptop. I checked the Compaq site, and they don't have the memory for
    that model. I then bought one elsewhere based on the clues I gathered
    (PC133), but it didn't work. Well, the memory was recognized but it had
    random freezes. Same with a different stick of memory.

    The main thing to notice here is that you're going to learn; this should cut
    out any second or third options.
    So, you must go for the best available in the market.

    And i think it's true that Dell will provide you with the most flexible
    options in order to keep your notebook future-safe (for atleast 2 yrs.)
    You can go with other brands; but if money isn't the issue (and it shouldnt
    be for learning); you'll have all the latest options which you can configure
    to with an ease of a radiobutton with Dell.

    Why i wouldn't go with a toshiba or Sony is that the latest models form
    these manufactureres are too multimedia-based. While developing new
    technology, they're forgetting to whom notebooks are targeted at.

    Radith Silva
    radith@xtra.co.nz

    > I'd recommend an IBM Thinkpad or a Toshiba model made by Toshiba in
    > Japan (these have 15 volt power adapters, while the Toshiba models made
    > for Toshiba in Taiwan have 19 volt power adapters).
    >

    > Kim wrote:
    >
    > > This August I'll be going off to college. I've already decided that I
    > > want a laptop, but I'm not sure which brand is best. I'll be going to
    > > a small school, so I think I'd prefer a desktop replacement rather
    > > than a laptop designed for mobility. The only place it will travel
    > > between is the campus and my house for the holidays. Otherwise, it's
    > > just going to be small and out of the way in my tiny dorm.
    > >
    > > Mostly, my problem is which brand to get. I can easily go from there.
    > > Most people suggest getting a Dell, but they only say that because
    > > it's the only company they really know. I've only ever had Gateway
    > > computers. I've heard from a few people that Sony also has some nice
    > > products. I know I don't want a Compaq. You get what you pay for
    > > with them.
    > >
    > > Any suggestions?

Laptops College