20091007amd_roadmap.jpg

http://plaza.fi/muropaketti/amdn-tyopoytaprosessorien-suunnitelmat-julki-vuoteen-2011-asti

Looks interesting

jennyh

Splendid
AMD could be onto something with the Athlon II's in the mainstream. The discovery that cache is somewhat not worth the premium should really allow for extremely cheap quad cores, which should also be good on power draw and heat.

AMD will make these so cheap that maintream buyers and OEM's cannot resist. That is the plan for 2010.

What I've read, anywhere from 0 to 20% performance penalty with no L3 cache, but that's compared to the P2 which has it's L3 clocked much slower than the remainder of the CPU, right?

Anyway, if the margins are low on these, selling a lot of them and fewer P2s would hurt AMD's bottom line.

loneninja

Distinguished

AMD is usually a year behind Intel on die shrinks, Intel hasn't officially shrunk to 32nm yet.

xaira

Distinguished

cache does mean higher ipc because the cpu has data stored on the chip that might be in ram, also, l3 allows all the cores to "copy off each-other's papers" but amd does not make full use of l3 like intel does, thats why athlon x4 620 and phenom x4 810 are pretty much matched, but if you took away l3 from an i5 or i7 the perf diff will be much more. if amd can fully utilise the l3 correctly perf will b much higher

amds six core is 45nm, so they might just be able to launch before gulftown, but once gulftown is released, thuban will be crushed and i can buy a hexacore for under $200

uncfan_2563

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
well gulftown will have a shrunken die correct? At the same manufacturing node and with AMD's higher frequencies, Intel still out performs AMD's top end. If Intel is on a lower manufacturing process AND with their given architecture superiority, this could mean trouble for AMD because Intel will too be able to clock their processors above 3 GHz at stock although, I dont know how much the additional 2 cores will affect the thermal limit on the Core i9's.

jennyh

Splendid
Yep. Global Foundries wont be ready with 32nm until the 2nd half of 2010, but that's because AMD won't be switching until then either. Bulldozer will be in production Q4 2010 for sale Q1 2011.

If reports are true, global foundries 32nm is really, really good. Claims of up to 50% better are being made, because of the unique 'gate first' approach.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/other/display/20090930120901_Globalfoundries_on_Track_for_50_Natural_Yield_by_Year_End_with_32nm_Process_Technology.html

2010 will be pretty rough for AMD but no worse than 2008 was.