• New Build
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • New Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
July 7, 2009 1:58:21 PM

Putting together a new i7 system and am interested for advice on what OS to install. I have a spare copy of XP laying around and I bought the Windows 7 upgrade for $50 from Amazon but it won't be out until October. I was thinking of running the free Beta version of Windows 7 until then, but since I bought an upgrade, it is my understanding that I won't be able to install it over the Beta. AM I better off installing and running XP until October (and suffering through a non 64 bit OS) so I can upgrade later?

More about : build windows

July 7, 2009 6:02:32 PM

What OS are y'all putting on your new builds?
July 7, 2009 7:03:13 PM

why use the beta when the rc is out

you cannot upgrade xp or win7rc to win 7 you will have to do a clean install either way

There is no point to a 64 os unless you have more than 4gig ram, few people have a need for that much ram. And if you don't have a clear need it would be creating problems for no gain.

imho
i would install win7rc 's a lot better than xp. And just get 3 gig ram unless you have a good reason to get more
Related resources
July 7, 2009 7:05:52 PM

505090 said:
why use the beta when the rc is out

you cannot upgrade xp or win7rc to win 7 you will have to do a clean install either way

There is no point to a 64 os unless you have more than 4gig ram, few people have a need for that much ram. And if you don't have a clear need it would be creating problems for no gain.

imho
i would install win7rc 's a lot better than xp. And just get 3 gig ram unless you have a good reason to get more

I've got 6 GB RAM. Sorry for the confusion - I meant the RC, not the beta. Regardless; you are suggesting I run the RC until October, then wipe the drive and do a fresh install of all the software/drives and bring all my files over?
July 7, 2009 7:12:52 PM

gonna have to wipe it anyway, defiantly go with the rc

I've been using the rc for 2 months it a lot nicer than xp
July 7, 2009 7:14:07 PM

505090 said:
gonna have to wipe it anyway,

I thought with XP there was an upgrade path where your drivers/software/files get brought over?
July 7, 2009 7:22:29 PM

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/buy/offers/pre-order-f...

I am running Windows XP, can I upgrade to Windows 7?

Microsoft designed Windows 7 Upgrade media for Windows Vista. A customer with Windows XP can purchase Windows 7 Upgrade media but must back up their files, clean install, and then reinstall their applications.
July 7, 2009 7:23:40 PM

thanks. Grrr.
July 7, 2009 7:30:38 PM

clean install is better anyway
July 7, 2009 7:32:54 PM

I don't think a clean install is better then going from the RC to the release version directly. That would be the best. Not sure why that's not allowed with valid keys.
July 7, 2009 7:38:31 PM

clean install gets rid of junk files that start building the first time you use your computer.

Most likley because the rc is an incomplete version:
they still hadn't worked out the update system (people with the rc are asked to download blank "updates" for test runs).
The key validation system was only a temp.
I'm sure there other little odds and ends that would create a nightmare trying to support in a few years.
July 7, 2009 7:40:45 PM

Look- by that logic you should wipe your drive every time a SP comes out. Of course updates accumulate files, but the changes from an RC to a release version should be on par with a SP.
July 7, 2009 7:49:55 PM

fair enough it's not that big of an upgrade. I mess with my computer a lot and it typically get reinstalled every 6 or so months so it's no big deal to me to reinstall.

a b $ Windows 7
July 10, 2009 1:46:15 PM

Thank you for evaluating Windows 7 and it's great to hear that you are enjoying your experience so much! If you are planning on purchasing Windows 7 when it is released it may be helpful to know for a limited time only you can pre-order your copy of Windows 7 Home Premium or Windows 7 Professional today for a discounted price. For more information, see the Windows 7 Pre-Order offer page here: http://tinyurl.com/nldc8p

Jessica
Microsoft Windows Client Team

July 10, 2009 1:48:15 PM

Nothing like free advtertising, eh? If you read the OP you'd see that "I bought the Windows 7 upgrade for $50 from Amazon" already.
Can you address the issue of why I won't be able to use the upgrade to go from the RC to the final version?
July 10, 2009 2:09:50 PM

lol they get it where they can

and i believe that last post was to me
July 10, 2009 3:52:48 PM

Im going to be building my first build soon. Should i purchase windows vista for my OS now. Newegg is offering something called a windows 7 upgrade coupon with the purchase of windows vista. What does that mean? I get windows 7 when it comes out in October?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
July 10, 2009 4:48:41 PM

Yeah you get vista now and an update to win7 as soon as it comes out
!