Display Port Video Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

utahmike

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2009
I need help. Im looking for the best video card within reason ($400) that use's Displayport out.
Reason being I want to use an Apple cinema display with my PC and it seems this can only be achieved by converting Displayport to Mini Displayport.

Any help you can offer would be great!

utahmike

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2009
I already looked on Newegg and, theres not much for selection really only Sapphire ATI cards.

Many thanks! ......still looking for something better.

daedalus685

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
Better?

Someone needs to reevaluate his expectations.. there are no 285's, 295's, or 4870x2's with display ports. The best possible card you can get is a 4890... Even without worrying about the display port there is a good arguement for the best single gpu card you can get being the 4890 vaporX cooled card...

You might be waiting until the dx11 series of cards, or even later, if you want a card better than a 4890 with what is at this point in time a port only really used on profefssional series cards..

utahmike

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2009
You may be right and, I may have unfair expectations.

Do you(or anyone) think there would be a dramatic difference between crossfire 2x 4890 2g over the 1g model of the same card?

Thanks again!

daedalus685

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
There will only be a difference at all on 1920*1200 resolutions or higher. If you are larger than that it would be a good investment, at that resolution it would be iffy but perhaps an fps or 2, any less than that you would gain absolutely nothing.

However, games will eventualyl come out (maybe.. consoles and such) that will use larger textures to perhaps start using the larger frame buffer, at this point in time the only want to require that much frame buffer is to crank teh resolution, or crank teh AA to something absolutely silly (which would cripple all the rest of the card anyway :))

G

Learn not to but evil apple products in the future?

Sorry, don't know what else you need really.

Atlona Technologies makes a product called the DP200 that converts from DVI to Mini DisplayPort for 179.00 it works great too! While I do not own one of my own, I do use one at work. (can't afford my own 24" apple display at home) Any way its a great way to use the Mini DisplayPort monitor if you have DVI already. Their web site is Atlona.com

G

It has been confirmed that the Atlona converter will not correctly convert a DVI/HDMI signal to DisplayPort for use with the iMac 27" display input. Speculation is that the 1920x1200 max resolution is the problem. I don't know why the iMac display won't recognize and switch to that resolution, but then I don't know why it does not have a DVI/HDMI port in the first place.

Belkin is rumored to be releasing a converter that with both convert the signal to DisplayPort and scale it to the correct 2560x1400 resolution but it will likely cost $150-$200 - and who knows what (if any) performance hit will obtain using a converter box.

Right now it seems the best way to use an iMac as a display for your PC is to buy a DisplayPort capable card. Thanks Apple!

scadarick

Honorable
May 13, 2012
that's true about the atlona 200, but the dp400 does support a higher resolution for the 27 inch monitor, i have been researching this same problem for weeks now. my video card does have a mini display port, its an asus 78970 ddr5 2 gig card, and i do think that the dp 400 and the apple cinema 27 inch could work with this card, i know it does not on the apple TB monitor, but they do hook straight-up from mini to mini display port, but nothing shows. its not the connector in this case, its that its not thunderbolt io enabled. si i figured that why spend the extra cash trying to make it work when there are other really nice IPS monitors around, like the new dell ultra 27 inch, even has a better response time of 6 ms compared to 12 ms on the apple TB and cinema. its cost just about the same, around 900 or so dollars, so i just gave in a bought the dell instead. there are many manufacturers heading into the mini display port arena , so i am sure if we wait a few months, there will be others besides the ati 5500 i think does have the mini display too, i was very surprised to find out the asus 7870 radeon ddr5 had the mini display port, 2 dvi, hdmi as well. so to sum this up, i would just give it some time, get another ips monitor, there are a few really nice monitors out there, the dell ultra seems to be the best at the moment, but that changes ever month. sorry i could not be of much help, but i thought i would share my experience with the very same problem...good luck poster!
scadarick

It has been confirmed that the Atlona converter will not correctly convert a DVI/HDMI signal to DisplayPort for use with the iMac 27" display input. Speculation is that the 1920x1200 max resolution is the problem. I don't know why the iMac display won't recognize and switch to that resolution, but then I don't know why it does not have a DVI/HDMI port in the first place.

Belkin is rumored to be releasing a converter that with both convert the signal to DisplayPort and scale it to the correct 2560x1400 resolution but it will likely cost $150-$200 - and who knows what (if any) performance hit will obtain using a converter box.

Right now it seems the best way to use an iMac as a display for your PC is to buy a DisplayPort capable card. Thanks Apple!

Status
Not open for further replies.