discboy321

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
So I am pretty sure I know this already but I just want to make sure. I have a hard drive that is SATA 6.0Gb and my Mobo only has SATA 3Gb/s. I can still install this hard drive but will run at the slower speed...correct ? Both are from newegg:

"GIGABYTE GA-M68MT-S2P AM3 NVIDIA GeForce 7025/nForce 630a chipset Micro ATX AMD Motherboard Item#: N82E16813128469"
nd
"Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKX 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Item#: N82E16822136769"

Solution
47... is right - SATA is backwards compatible and so if you plug SATA devices of differing speeds together they'll auto-negotiate the fastest speed supported by both the device and the port. With certain drives and motherboard controllers this doesn't work, so if you have any issues there's usually a jumper on the drive you can set to force the drive to a lower speed to eliminate the need to negotiate.

And as 47... says, the drive itself can't peel data off the rotating platters anywhere close to SATA 3Gbit/sec speeds, let alone 6Gbit/sec - so in practical terms you won't loose any performance.
47... is right - SATA is backwards compatible and so if you plug SATA devices of differing speeds together they'll auto-negotiate the fastest speed supported by both the device and the port. With certain drives and motherboard controllers this doesn't work, so if you have any issues there's usually a jumper on the drive you can set to force the drive to a lower speed to eliminate the need to negotiate.

And as 47... says, the drive itself can't peel data off the rotating platters anywhere close to SATA 3Gbit/sec speeds, let alone 6Gbit/sec - so in practical terms you won't loose any performance.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS