GeForce 9800 GT resets resolution on restart

rikuleonhart

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2009
I just got the nvidia geforce 9800 gt and installed it yesterday without many problems. One thing that I have noticed is that when I restart my computer my resolution gets reset from 1600 v 1050 to 1200 v 800 and my desktop icons get messed up (which is not a huge deal but it is kind of annoying). I have tried to look around and have not found a lot of answers. I am running Vista home 32 bit. Any help would be great.

fpsdominator

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
have u tried setting the resolution through the NVIDIA control panel?
Also use msconfig make sure the necessary drivers and software for the card are set to open on start up.

Always blame the drivers first!
Uninstall all your video drivers then install the latest from Nvidia, even if you have already done it.
And make sure you connected the 6 pin PCI-E power lead, they sometimes jam before going fully home and making good contact.

rikuleonhart

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2009
I uninstalled/reinstalled the drivers and the the default resolution under the nvidia control panel is what it should be but it keeps resetting. Thanks for the replies you two :)

Richy0money

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
try doing a memory diagnostic on your ram, and if that isnt an issue, make sure the card is seated properly inside the case. other then that, it is either a faulty graphics card or worse a cracked motherboard. if its a faulty card, it may be running just slightly too fast, i had an issue with a card that wouldnt run as fast as its manufacturer stated,i had to actually underclock it in windows.

Richy0money

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
maybe you just need to adjust a cmos setting in setup. not sure, but it could be somthing simple or hard as that, depending on what you know.