P6T sleep problem - possible solution

bdbugbee

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
For those of you that may still be dealing with the sleep issue on the ASUS P6T motherboard when you are overclocking an i7 920 at a BCLK = 200, I may have stumbled onto a solution. As background, I have experienced problems coming back from sleep mode on the second sleep attempt after a boot-up. The first time would work fine, but not the second time. It would would hang and when I did get the BIOS to post after numerous attempts, it would come up with a message about overclocking failure - Press F1 to enter setup and F2 to reset bios to default settings.

I even updated to the latest bios 0904 (11/12/09) and still had the problem.

The problem finally went away after I tried these two things:

1) In Windows, right click on the boot disk (C: drive) and go to Properties. Find the advanced option to Disable write back cache on the boot disk. For some reason I think this might have been causing my problem. I also disabled write caching on my D: drive. No noticeable performance impact.

2) Re-boot and enter the Bios Setup (Power menu) - set the suspend mode to S3 instead of Auto

Once I did these two things my sleep problems went away - it works like a charm. Not sure if the write-back cache was the issue but disabling it seemed to work for me.

I hope this helps.

Motherboard: ASUS P6T (vanilla)
CPU: i7 920 running at 3.6 GHz
BCLK = 200
CP Multiplier 18
12 Gb memory Corsair 6x2Gb Timing 8-8-8-24 running at PC-1600
RAID 1 setup with 2x300 GB WD Velociraptors (C: drive)
Intel Matrix Storage Console 8.9.0.1023
1 TB WD Black (D: drive)
Windows 7 Home Premium