WDAlign - does it need to be removed?

SoCal_Keith

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011
I have WD15EARS that I used the WDAlign software on to run WinXP 64 bit. I am ditching that OS and upgrading to Win 7, and it will be a clean/new install.

Do I need to 'remove' the WDAlign, or can I just re-format under Win 7 and regain the original alignment?

I have 2 separate partitions on it, the WinXP 64 on one, and storage on the other. I -can- move the storage to another drive if I need to reformat the whole drive, but is it possible to just reformat the XP partition? Would save a little time if no harm/foul..

Thanks in advance!

Solution
If you're wiping the disk anyway, then just make sure that there is no jumper in the drive to force "XP Alignment" and then during installation delete all the partitions and recreate them. Windows 7 will create partitions on the appropriate 4K sector boundaries and that will eliminate any potential issues.

SoCal_Keith

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011
Thanks for the reply Hawk...

Not sure that's true, because it's stated that a drive that is WDAligned will operate poorly in Win 7. Since mine -is- aligned, that's what I'll be trying to avoid... but I'm just not sure either way, and have Googled till I'm blue in the face without any results so far. Thanks again mate!

If you're wiping the disk anyway, then just make sure that there is no jumper in the drive to force "XP Alignment" and then during installation delete all the partitions and recreate them. Windows 7 will create partitions on the appropriate 4K sector boundaries and that will eliminate any potential issues.

Solution

SoCal_Keith

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011

Thank you, that was what I had figured, but wanted to hear it echoed... and no, there was no jumper set, just the WDAlign software run on it. Take care!