mande

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011
I took my Dell (Windows XP) in to a "computer repair" shop yesterday as I've been getting "cannot find MFC42u.DLL" message when trying to open iTunes. They said they need to reinstall XP. Otherwise he would have to go in and search for the problem which apparently would be time consuming and expensive. They tranfered files from C to D drive which I had previously had installed but now they say since it took 4 hrs to do the transfer there may be a problem with one of the drives and need to check it. Does this sound logical? Couldn't it have been fixed without wiping out everything? They also said there are 66 programs running in the background which is why it is so slow. Is this why someone may reinstall windows periodically. Is this something I could do myself?

If you have an issue you already started a post about, you should edit and add to that post instead of starting a new one, with how many posts come in here it's not easy to try to figure out what happened when when people post several times about the same issue.

How much data was moved between the drives? It's it's many gigabytes, and the PC is an older one, it can take a few hours.

Did you try to re-install iTunes? Do a search on the PC for that file? http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findbyerrormessage/a/mfc42u-dll-not-found-missing-error.htm

66 processes is not too bad, I have 88 running now on my system with a few applications open. If you have a slow computer though it can take it's toll.

Re-installing Windows will clean things up though, or you can just kill some of the programs that startup all the time that are not needed, do a virus and malware scan.

mande

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011
I removed and reinstalled itunes at least 4 times. it installs but when I click on the icon on desktop, I got the message "cannot find MFC42u.DLL" and then I would get message itunes needs to close even though it wasn't open.
Is there a way to delete my first post(Help)? I didn't know how many issues could be put on one.

mande

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011

I tried the restore and it didn't help The repair shop said the motherboard has "issues" so I brought the computer home to let my grandkids use it for learning cds. I keep getting message that Office XP student version needs to configure. I also get when trying to open up any documents. Anything I can do? Also, Roxio opens but won't do anything.