Server Rack Cooling, opinions needed

AnnonoRuss

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2009
I am looking to replace our current server rack, the main reason being last summer one of our HDD overheated during a 40 degree day.

Let me summarize our situation, we have 4 x desktop server machines, 1x NAS, 1 x Gigabit switch (24 port), 2 x patch panels and 1x UPS. These are situated in a corner of a small warehouse environment, is away from doors/windows but is not air-conditioned in any way.

Have a quote on a new server rack: 1 x 900mm deep
45RU Hallam Communications cabinet
complete with front Perspex door, metal
rear door, 2 x full height removable
metal sides, top panel complete with 4 x
fan tray, 2 x Plinth fans with fitered
entries.

I am aware that no air-conditioning is not ideal, but it is not a viable option unfortunately.

I need your opinions, will the 4 x fan tray & 2 x Plinth fan be enough? If you have any follow-up questions am happy to answer, will be checking back regularly to see what ppl have to say.

Thanks for your time.

ilted

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2009
I'm picturing someone cutting a giant square hole in the side of a closed rack, with some angle iron and jb-weld mounting a window air conditioner sticking out the side of it. :-D

I've never had to deal with that much ambient heat, An open frame rack and a few household pedestal fans on standby for the few hot days a year has yet to fail. But i've never been close to 110. Sorry, no help here.

TRENDING THREADS