Gskill 6GB 1600 C9 1333 or Kingston
1TB WD SATAII 32MB
GTX285
Pioneer 218D SATA DVD Burner
Antec 1200 Black
Thermalright Ultra-120 extreme Rev A
850 Watt True Power
Sound Blaster X-Fi Pro

The problem that I have is that i do a little music recording for hobby. However the Sound Blaster drivers are not that stable with Win 7 as yet. So I wanted to run a dual boot with XP. However I am not sure how XP will react to the extra RAM. Will it just ignore the excess or will it cause problems?

Thank you for your help.

More about : dual boot win 6gb ram

January 1, 2010 3:34:30 PM

I think that's no problem at all, u can have dual boot OS, just make sure both of them installed on different partition in your hardisk...
Only 3.2 GB of RAM that would be detected on XP, but i that's okay.
Anyone?
m
l
a b } Memory
January 1, 2010 4:33:40 PM

If you install WinXP first to one primary partition (or a separate HDD), and then install Win7 on another primary partition (or a separate HDD). Win7 will install a boot manager that will let you choose which OS to boot from after BIOS load is complete.

WinXPx64 and Win7x64 will see and use all your memory. The 32-bit versions will be limited to seeing and using ~3.5 total memory, the rest will be unseen and ignored by the OSes.
m
l
Related resources
January 1, 2010 9:33:38 PM

Thank you very much for the assistance guys. That definately makes sense. So I will go ahead and buy the 6GB.
m
l
January 1, 2010 11:42:08 PM

talaash said:
Thank you very much for the assistance guys. That definately makes sense. So I will go ahead and buy the 6GB.

I'd be careful with 64 bit XP, there is very little driver support for it. Not really worth your time to be honest, you should be fine utilizing the 3 gigs as XP uses a fair amount less to run that 7 does.
m
l
!