Sign in with
Your question

Update BIOS without a working processor?

Last response: in Motherboards
January 1, 2010 2:37:43 AM

Hello,

I'm building a new PC but using an older board I had lying around collecting dust. It's a Gigabyte P35C-DS3R board, and I dropped an Intel Q9550 into it. All fans and hard drives spin up when system is powered on (except the processor fan), but the PC won't POST. I think this is a BIOS issue since the board is a couple of years old with a fairly new processor. I'm wondering if it's possible to flash the BIOS without popping in a different processor. I've got a Q6600 in the system I'm using to type this message that I could use, but I'd rather not dismantle this system if at all possible.

Many thanks!

--Jon
a c 156 V Motherboard
January 1, 2010 2:58:32 AM

As far as I know, you need to be able to POST and boot before you can update the BIOS.
m
l
January 1, 2010 12:11:13 PM

Much appreciated jsc. That's what I thought too. I guess I'll get dismantling. :( 

--J
m
l
January 3, 2010 2:24:37 PM

For anyone who's interested, I pulled the Q6600 off the old machine, mated it to the new machine, got Win7 loaded, updated the BIOS, popped the Q9550 back onto the new machine...and voila about 14 hours later everything works. :) 

That's what I like about building my own, I always learn something! Now to start overclocking the Q9550...

Cheers!

--J
m
l
Related resources
!