Lil122j

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011
Hello,

I am having trouble with running Windows XP 32bit Media Center Edition desktop. Will not connect to the internet.

I was infected with a nasty rootkit that seems to have messed with my registry files. With the help of a friend who was experienced in internet security, that problem has ceased.

Now the problem is my communications ports and possibly even more essentials have stopped functioning due to registry files and drivers being deleted.
What can I possibly use to fix this? Preferably without a recovery disk since I dont have one.
I can download programs and transfer them to my desktop with a Flash Drive.

Solution
There are several different versions of XP, and you will need to have the correct CD to work with each license key.

For example, you cannot use a full-install retail CD with an OEM key.

Lil122j

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011
I dont believe it does. I dont think I need a complete reinstall unless thats the only way to retrieve what was lost that allows com ports to function. Thats really the only thing I care about fixing at the moment.

Lil122j

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011
Well every computer in my household seems to have been infected with this virus.
Would I just need to buy a cheap $6 recovery disk off ebay for a fix? Im just gonna reformat each computer.

chaere

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
Well every computer in my household seems to have been infected with this virus.
g.gif

Lil122j

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011
Alright thanks for the info. I found a recovery disk that is said to work with all versions of windows xp, vista, and 7. (Of course all 3 systems that got infected run different OS. Xp, Vista, and 7.)