Update jmicron add on card bios

hi there,

i recently bought an ultra pci-e x1 add on raid card (jmicron jmb363 raid card). the bios is 1.06.51. i want to flash the latest bios (1.07.00) but for the life of me i can't figure out how. i am a noob to flashing option rom bios. can anyone help me? what are the instructions to flash an add on card?

p.s. i discovered a program called free dos. it actually lets me get into the flash update utility (1.19) i got from jmicron website, but i am truly a dumb idiot when it comes to dos syntax. please help me!
10 answers Last reply
More about update jmicron card bios
  1. It looks as if you will need the "rom update tool" and the newest jmb363_1.07 bios.

ftp://driver.jmicron.com.tw/SATA_Controller/Option_ROM/

Be sure you have the newest drivers installed first.

ftp://driver.jmicron.com.tw/SATA_Controller/Windows/
  2. uh huh, i do have the latest driver and the update tool. i just can't seem to figure out how to do the process. i use a utility called freedos, it gets me to the dos program to update, but then i dont know what to do next. i dont know the syntax for dos or anything. could you help me?
  3. You don't need DOS. Just open a command prompt and run the 36xupd.exe file. Its in the zip file of the first link I have posted above.

The bottom link I have above is to a zip file. There is a readme.txt file in there on how to use it.
  4. darkmillennium said:
    uh huh, i do have the latest driver and the update tool. i just can't seem to figure out how to do the process. i use a utility called freedos, it gets me to the dos program to update, but then i dont know what to do next. i dont know the syntax for dos or anything. could you help me?

In DOS just write

36xupd /w filename.bin

and press enter
  5. And if you are running Win7 64 bit? Then what?
  6. It shouldnt matter if you are running Win 7 64 bit when you are trying to flash your jmicron 363.
    I'm wondering where to find the source file for the flash ? Is it the jraid.sys in c:\windows\system32\drivers ?
    I would reckon the file you would be updating would be a *.bin file , which i cant find .

The thing in DOS syntax is that you need a target file( the original bin file), then a file ( in this case jmb363_1.07.28.bin) that will replace it.

So my question is , where can i find the original *.bin file that needs to be updated ?
  7. There is no original BIN.

Just use the command line suggested by Anonymous.

As for whether the updater works in a DOS box inside a Windows environment, I can't answer that question. However, you should be able to copy all the files, including the BIN, to a bootable FreeDOS USB flash drive.

Here is the embedded documentation for 36xupd.exe:

E:\Junk\1.19>36xupd.exe

DOS/4GW Protected Mode Run-time Version 1.97
    Copyright (c) Rational Systems, Inc. 1990-1994

JMicron 36X/37X Update Flash Program Version 1.19

Syntax:

36xupd [/w ] [/r ] [/e ] [/s [w | r | e]] file_name

filename Specifies a target file to update
    /w Update Option ROM [use SPI]
    /r Backup Option ROM [use SPI]
    /e Erase Whole Flash [use SPI] (without file_name)
    /s w Update SPI256
    /s r Backup SPI256
    /s e Erase SPI256 (without file_name)
  8. If i just type 36xupd.exe /w jmb363_1.07.28.binand press enter in the same folder as i have the bin file , it says " could NOT locate source file ".
  9. I suspect that FreeDOS is looking for a file name in 8.3 format. I don't believe that it understands long filenames.

Try using the file's 8.3 short name ...

JMB363~1.BIN

Alternatively, try renaming the file to jmb363.bin.

That said, it's your call as to whether the file and the procedure are the correct ones.
  10. I have same problem i also tried to update the firmware.I got the same Erroe "Could not loacate source file" tried to rename the bin file to jmb363.bin but i got the same error.Also with long names.Any Idea?
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives BIOS Flash NAS / RAID Storage