Update jmicron add on card bios

darkmillennium

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011
hi there,

i recently bought an ultra pci-e x1 add on raid card (jmicron jmb363 raid card). the bios is 1.06.51. i want to flash the latest bios (1.07.00) but for the life of me i can't figure out how. i am a noob to flashing option rom bios. can anyone help me? what are the instructions to flash an add on card?

p.s. i discovered a program called free dos. it actually lets me get into the flash update utility (1.19) i got from jmicron website, but i am truly a dumb idiot when it comes to dos syntax. please help me!

darkmillennium

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011
uh huh, i do have the latest driver and the update tool. i just can't seem to figure out how to do the process. i use a utility called freedos, it gets me to the dos program to update, but then i dont know what to do next. i dont know the syntax for dos or anything. could you help me?

G

In DOS just write

36xupd /w filename.bin

and press enter

hemmilaj

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
It shouldnt matter if you are running Win 7 64 bit when you are trying to flash your jmicron 363.
I'm wondering where to find the source file for the flash ? Is it the jraid.sys in c:\windows\system32\drivers ?
I would reckon the file you would be updating would be a *.bin file , which i cant find .

The thing in DOS syntax is that you need a target file( the original bin file), then a file ( in this case jmb363_1.07.28.bin) that will replace it.

So my question is , where can i find the original *.bin file that needs to be updated ?

There is no original BIN.

Just use the command line suggested by Anonymous.

As for whether the updater works in a DOS box inside a Windows environment, I can't answer that question. However, you should be able to copy all the files, including the BIN, to a bootable FreeDOS USB flash drive.

Here is the embedded documentation for 36xupd.exe:

E:\Junk\1.19>36xupd.exe

DOS/4GW Protected Mode Run-time Version 1.97
Copyright (c) Rational Systems, Inc. 1990-1994

JMicron 36X/37X Update Flash Program Version 1.19

Syntax:

36xupd [/w ] [/r ] [/e ] [/s [w | r | e]] file_name

filename Specifies a target file to update
/w Update Option ROM [use SPI]
/r Backup Option ROM [use SPI]
/e Erase Whole Flash [use SPI] (without file_name)
/s w Update SPI256
/s r Backup SPI256
/s e Erase SPI256 (without file_name)

I suspect that FreeDOS is looking for a file name in 8.3 format. I don't believe that it understands long filenames.

Try using the file's 8.3 short name ...

JMB363~1.BIN

Alternatively, try renaming the file to jmb363.bin.

That said, it's your call as to whether the file and the procedure are the correct ones.

c9hris

Honorable
Oct 11, 2013
I have same problem i also tried to update the firmware.I got the same Erroe "Could not loacate source file" tried to rename the bin file to jmb363.bin but i got the same error.Also with long names.Any Idea?