Sign in with
Your question
Closed

CPU Wacky cooling idea

Last response: in Overclocking
July 22, 2011 7:43:39 AM

Hello Toms Hardware Community

I have a wacky cooling idea on my CPU Cooling system. So far im Running a Intel E5700 Dual Core 3Ghz Overclocked to 3.45 Ghz with a stock cooler and Fan. I've been monitoring tempretures and under load im running my CPU at 52'C.

But I have a very wacky idea on Cooling it :D  IF I connect PVC piping and an outside external fan Pumping air into the PVC piping, and the PVC piping forces the air directly onto the CPU cooling fan. This in theory should have colder air Being sent through the fan and onto the Heatsink. if this works, I hope to have a high speed fan and connect it to both my CPU and my Graphics card.. Call me bonkers or mad, but I would appreciate the feedback i get from you gays as you guys are much more experienced than I am...

Thanks in Advance
Trishen

More about : cpu wacky cooling idea

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 22, 2011 1:28:13 PM

The air will not be any cooler than the ambient air temp.
a b à CPUs
a c 78 K Overclocking
July 26, 2011 12:25:22 PM

welcome to the forums, newcomer!

what your proposing is already in practice -

more here

my 2 cents :) 
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
July 26, 2011 12:46:01 PM

yeah and maybe even chill the air somehow, sounds like a good idea!
a b à CPUs
a c 331 K Overclocking
July 27, 2011 12:34:22 AM

Lowering the A/C in your house would lower the ambient...and not require a duct or elaborate piping system you described.

And no, you cannot put your PC into a household refrigerator or freezer. The Tom's WC sticky in my signature has a link that describes this (since I smell that is the next idea in this process). It's been tried and failed many, many times. Short answer: a fridge/freezer can't continually pull that much heat in watts from a PC...they are designed to remove heat once, and keep items cold. You'd burn the compressor out trying to run 24/7.
a b à CPUs
a c 78 K Overclocking
July 27, 2011 2:32:46 AM

Quote:
You'd burn the compressor out trying to run 24/7.
:lol:  :) 
a b à CPUs
a c 331 K Overclocking
July 28, 2011 1:30:43 AM

You disagree?
July 28, 2011 7:55:20 AM

Hi guys. Sorry Been busy. Bought a new chassis and Was trying to install it myself.. Took me a while to figure out lol

Well seems like a good idea to sort of find a way to cool the air somehow. But it'l just be cheaper and look alot better if I just improve the airflow on my Chassis. As it is, Im running a 3Ghz Dual Core E5700 Intel Processor. Running at 55'C When Playing Crysis (Slight overclock) 3.3Ghz to be exact. But someone was telling me Side fans, (Please note I've Pushed this Processor and the Max I can get out of it is 3.45Ghz Without Complete Restarting.)

Any other ideas I can do to Improve my cooling... I dont mind buying cheap fridge, and putting my PC inside it :pt1cable:  Seems wacky but worth a shot.
July 28, 2011 8:11:17 AM

So far here's my Specs:

Intel Dual Core E5700 Processor 3Ghz Running at 3.3 Ghz (Dont know how to change the FSB :D  So cant overclock that :(  )
MSI G41P26 Motherboard
550W Power supply with Graphics Card Power
2x SATA Hard drives.. 1x 1TB+1x80GB
Samsung Lightscribe DVD Writer 22x
512MB GT210 Nvidea Graphics Card (Will Upgrade when I feel satisfied with my PC Cooling)
2GB 1333Mhz DDR3 RAM (I know Im bottle necking but I want to sort heat out before I try to even that out)
2x 12CM Fans (Front and Back)
AeroRacer Pro Chassis (40CM Side Fan)

My own Build and not bad for a guy straight out of High school and the months of Saving I did :sol: 
Proud of my Build. But I want something that will make people say "WoW" in terms of Cooling and design. Preferbly something I can make on my own so I can brag about :pt1cable: 

Thanks guys :) 
a c 139 à CPUs
a c 242 K Overclocking
July 28, 2011 8:44:04 AM

yp good idea like this
a b à CPUs
a c 78 K Overclocking
July 28, 2011 2:34:02 PM

^

1| get a new case and do a small mod on it. In fact the cases from top end manufacturers are including all the air flow improvement gadgets with the case. larger cases with less fans, smaller cases with lots of fans for exhaust and intake.
2| Try cablemanagement and using a larger case.

3| a 40cm fan is as loud as a vacuum cleaner gets :D 
4| don't double post
5| what brand of 12cm fans are you using?

Honestly, that Dual core is better off being a microwave cooker to heat up food when you arrive late from work :p 

rubix_1011 said:
You disagree?

ofcourse not, I totally agree!!! I had a D915 and that was enough to cook my chicken wings :p 
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 28, 2011 3:31:07 PM

LOL...I like henydiah set-up....Put the fan on the side so that its facing the A/C for "cold air induction"....heny you crack me up.....LMAO
a c 139 à CPUs
a c 242 K Overclocking
July 28, 2011 3:36:28 PM

Than'ks Lowjack, you are great and nice man :) 
July 28, 2011 5:29:12 PM

Hi Very Sorry for Double Posting.. Still New around here.. I did fork out for an expensive case and stuff And cable management I sort of kinda got sorted out.. Really sorry to Move away from the subject but the main reason why I want to cool is because of Bottlenecking.. and CPU used to cool my food and better off in a Microwave.. Harsh.. :??: 

Asaka Fans 120MM.. Got two.. as for the 40CM being as loud as a vacuum cleaner.. sometimes I fall asleep not knowing if my PC is on.. Really that fan is extremely quiet..

Yes thats my AeroRacer Pro Chassis. I love it. It makes me Want to use my PC...

But Im using 1333Mhz RAM and an 800Mhz Processor.. Starting to wonder if I was High on something when I was buying my PC components... :pt1cable: 

Any way to streamline the Bottlenecking? or am I fine the way it is?

Hendiah you rock, You helped me alot from my Previous Post! :D 
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 28, 2011 5:40:18 PM

Your build isn't bad at all...You will get better as you start putting them together on a regular basis...or if your like me and go to everyone's house that you know and get them to let you take apart their PC's then reassemble them..When doing this, think of all the clever ways to hide wires..zip ties are your friend...My friends all think I am crazy but I do get results, just by cleaning up the unusually poor wire management that prebuilt systems have and cleaning the dust out...When using wire management you want to be able to see as much of the MOBO as possible..Thats a good sign of great cable management
July 28, 2011 5:57:26 PM

lowjack989 said:
Your build isn't bad at all...You will get better as you start putting them together on a regular basis...or if your like me and go to everyone's house that you know and get them to let you take apart their PC's then reassemble them..When doing this, think of all the clever ways to hide wires..zip ties are your friend...My friends all think I am crazy but I do get results, just by cleaning up the unusually poor wire management that prebuilt systems have and cleaning the dust out...When using wire management you want to be able to see as much of the MOBO as possible..Thats a good sign of great cable management

Thanks Lowjack, This isnt my First build, but it is the first one I've built all by myself. No Money from Parents, and from my first Job so thats why I tried to give it as best as I possibly can

First things first.. (Ok I know I sound like a real Dick here) But any good website I can upload some of my pictures too so you guys can have a look at it.. I only know of as quoted in my last Thread :kaola:  failbook :D 

Secondly Im seeing quite a bit of my motherboard. The only issue im having is my Serias ATA Cables are sticking out as well as my Power to my Hard drives and my DVD writer.. It looks really unitidy... and I did my best to try and rectify the problem.. but looks like that isnt happening. Even with Cable ties..

So far I have more to spend and Im think i can do one of two options

a) Build a Second PC.. (Trust me, I have enough.. and I mean Enough!) Chassis and Heatsinks and fans lying around
b) Improve what I have now.. Maybe Upgrade the Motherboard, CPU and RAM

But Im happy with my Current build. Should last me another 2-3 years which by then Ill have enough for an Ultimate Gaming Rig
So far when you 18 and you try to Start a Company here in South Africa, they Shoot you in the foot these banks lol so thats why I havent had much time to Play around with my PC so much. Only evenings and stuff. But when I do work it. I push it hard, Play Heavy Process games and really test my GPU and CPU and all the Components..

Sorry for the Long story.. But thats currently where I am now :D 
a b à CPUs
a c 78 K Overclocking
July 28, 2011 6:23:46 PM

I was trying to say that the CPU, due to its die architecture, tends to run hot naturally so OC'ing it would make it put out steam. Keeping components cool is one objective while OC'ing as HEAT is a performance robber. Its even the reason for unstable systems and BSOD's...

anyways, like lowjack989 has stated, if you have a ferrari engine lying around in your garage, why would you let it rust away? (provided the engine can go into your existing car's engine bay ;)  )

Flickr is good, you can also try photobucket, but over time the server tends to route the older pics into a folder without your consent...

links to help you with your cablemanagement;

Tom's Hardware Member System Gallery
Cable-management and Build opinion

with the second posted question, you've actually helped us help you make headway :) 
July 28, 2011 6:56:47 PM

With regards to Buying an Engine I have one of two options. Either I save my money and just do with one PC and Save to start my business (You guys have no idea how badly I want my own Company.. Being 18, straight out of school and being my bosses "Coffee Boy" isnt the greatest..) It took me literally From April to Build my machine from Almost nothing and then too, I've been working since last year November (Yeah sorry to give you this story) and that was just enough to buy Motherboard, CPU, RAM Graphics Card and Power Supply. Thats all, Was using IDE Drives in my SATA board for 2 months till I could afford a hard drive :ouch: 

But What I was thinking is, Build for Friends.. Alot of my friends are Very Impressed with my Build and they want one of thier own :wahoo: 

So maybe Building PCs for them will help me gain even more Experience..

For now I'd like to Focus on getting my business running then maybe I can Afford an i7 System and then build from there...

With regards to cable management.. Cable ties and I do have a little Cable Cord thingy. It opens up like a zipper and the cables goes inside it, making it neat. It looks very nice and professional, but I want to paint it black :) 

I would like to post some pics up and I will do that very soon. But this Bottlenecking is sort of getting to me.. I want to try and sought that problem out.. and so far my I've Pushed it to 3.45Ghz without any issues.. Yet to check the heat on on HWmontior..

Any Ideas?
July 29, 2011 4:51:43 PM

Trishen Naidoo said:
So far here's my Specs:

Intel Dual Core E5700 Processor 3Ghz Running at 3.3 Ghz (Dont know how to change the FSB :D  So cant overclock that :(  )
MSI G41P26 Motherboard
550W Power supply with Graphics Card Power
2x SATA Hard drives.. 1x 1TB+1x80GB
Samsung Lightscribe DVD Writer 22x
512MB GT210 Nvidea Graphics Card (Will Upgrade when I feel satisfied with my PC Cooling)
2GB 1333Mhz DDR3 RAM (I know Im bottle necking but I want to sort heat out before I try to even that out)
2x 12CM Fans (Front and Back)
AeroRacer Pro Chassis (40CM Side Fan)

My own Build and not bad for a guy straight out of High school and the months of Saving I did :sol: 
Proud of my Build. But I want something that will make people say "WoW" in terms of Cooling and design. Preferbly something I can make on my own so I can brag about :pt1cable: 

Thanks guys :) 

Random note: im 16 and just built my first pc. Awesome experience I even had to learn how to rewire the power connectors so they could be put on :) 
July 29, 2011 4:57:35 PM

geis said:
Random note: im 16 and just built my first pc. Awesome experience I even had to learn how to rewire the power connectors so they could be put on :) 

Lol when I was 16 I built a 2Ghz Celeron 512MB Ram System.. Wasnt bad at all. Learnt on an IDE Motherboard
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 29, 2011 9:25:11 PM

Quote:
Im good with my HAF922, I was wondering cause it was all black inside, it looked very nice.

Thanks for the compliment.....Oh the HAF is a nice case....I was just letting you know what it was and the price ...It came grey inside I painted it Black Semi-Gloss wish I had used Flat Black...check my photostream out on Flickr its got my rig from after the H60 reinstall...Kinda got OCD with it for a couple of days.
July 29, 2011 11:49:19 PM

Also if you intend to bring air in that's colder than ambient, you need to research how condensation happens.

^seriously.
July 29, 2011 11:50:24 PM

Also lapping your CPU/heatsink(voids warranties) and getting high end thermal paste can equate to a 2-7C temp drop. And it's pretty simple/inexpensive.
a b à CPUs
a c 78 K Overclocking
July 30, 2011 8:19:52 PM

both geis and mk-ultra have hijacked this thread...please stick to whats on topic. You have something to chit chat about, PM eachother. Otherwise mods will penalize you for an offense like this.
July 30, 2011 9:11:11 PM

I think my valid posts got deleted...
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 30, 2011 11:19:06 PM

cmcghee358 said:
I think my valid posts got deleted...

Your posts did not appear to be directed toward the OP, so they got deleted.
July 31, 2011 3:09:45 AM

Mousemonkey said:
Your posts did not appear to be directed toward the OP, so they got deleted.

The OP was talking about bringing cold air into his PC, so yeah I think my 1st post was valid. And my 2nd post was alternatives to achieve lower temps.

Regardless, thanks for resurrecting them mousemonkey!
a b à CPUs
a c 78 K Overclocking
July 31, 2011 3:40:27 AM

Trishen Naidoo said:
...Really sorry to Move away from the subject but the main reason why I want to cool is because of Bottle-necking...

based on this quote, cmcghee358 posts were directed towards getting better temps. but the moderation was needed.

btw, sticking to the OP's second question;
CPU Heatspreader Lapping Guide
[Solved] What can I get from an E5700?
How to overclock intel e5700?
Core 2 Overclocking Guide

that last link i posted is from yahoo answers. If you're going to use set fsb, your mobo should be capable of handling an OC otherwise you risk burning the mosfets and capacitors. Furthermore, that CPU OC will be realized by a proportionate OC on the ram. So bottom line, your hard earned money was flushed by the one who earned it :)  but I found out this software - Easy overclocking tool on MSI's site, can perform an OC...better scour the net before jumping into it.

Don't let that message get to your head. We here at Tom's follow that its your money and your choice. All we are here for - is to answer the questions (however silly they are sometimes). We give advice, you swallow what you like to hear :D 

Hope this helps!
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 31, 2011 11:06:58 AM

cmcghee358 said:
The OP was talking about bringing cold air into his PC, so yeah I think my 1st post was valid. And my 2nd post was alternatives to achieve lower temps.

Regardless, thanks for resurrecting them mousemonkey!

It was the '^' that made it seem as though you were responding to Geis rather than the OP which is why it's always useful to quote the post you are responding to, even more so when when the thread has been taken off topic or as in this case hijacked by others.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 31, 2011 7:43:26 PM

Henydiah already gave the OP the correct set-up for forced induction cooling.....This thread should already have a best answer choosen......
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 31, 2011 8:10:59 PM

lowjack989 said:
Henydiah already gave the OP the correct set-up for forced induction cooling.....This thread should already have a best answer choosen......

Except that the OP didn't start this as a question thread as denoted by the quotation marks in the icon on the left hand side of the screen on the front page.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 31, 2011 8:23:02 PM

OK so its just a discussion then....I will see my way out.....
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 31, 2011 8:28:57 PM

lowjack989 said:
OK so its just a discussion then....I will see my way out.....

Exits are located at the front, rear and sides. [:mousemonkey]
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 31, 2011 8:30:16 PM

poff...already gone...
July 31, 2011 8:31:33 PM

Mousemonkey said:
Except that the OP didn't start this as a question thread as denoted by the quotation marks in the icon on the left hand side of the screen on the front page.

If it was a disscution thread, why did I get a sanction? I was only talking about cooling my computer.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 31, 2011 8:35:52 PM

mk-ultra said:
If it was a disscution thread, why did I get a sanction? I was only talking about cooling my computer.

Because the discussion is about the OP's computer not yours?
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 31, 2011 8:36:51 PM

mk-ultra just drop it....it'll be alright
July 31, 2011 8:54:55 PM

lowjack989 said:
mk-ultra just drop it....it'll be alright

Thought u were gone?
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 31, 2011 8:56:40 PM

Don't pull my cord...Geis I am not in the mood
August 1, 2011 12:22:55 AM

Mousemonkey said:
Because the discussion is about the OP's computer not yours?

But wasn't the discussion about cooling PC's in general? And how to effectively do so? If that wasn't the case alright.
a b à CPUs
August 1, 2011 7:39:37 AM

This topic has been closed by The_Prophecy
!