Quick dual-channel memory question

thepcphysician

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
Hey everybody! Happy New Year!!!

So, I have and old computer with a Pentium D 2.8 and an ECS mobo that only takes ddr667. Right now, I have 1gb of 667 in it, dual channel (2 x 512) I am upgrading it to 7, so I bought a dual channel 2gb kit (2 x 1gb). When I went to swap out the ram, I saw that the mobo has two "sets" of memory banks - two orange slots and two purple slots. Right now, the two 512mb modules occupy the orange slots. I was just wondering whether I can actually use all 4 sticks of ram at once. I know I could have all 4x 1gb dimms, but will it work to have 2 x 512 and 2 x 1gb?

Incidentally, the new ram is ddr2 800, but I doubt that will make a difference - it should just throttle back to 667.

I appreciate any advice you might have!

Solution
Should be fine. You may of course get lower RAM timings when mixing RAM like that. You may want to use CPU-Z to check what the timings are, and see if you can't adjust them in your BIOS if your RAM supports lower settings than what is currently set.
If u install all of them then your speed is just downclock to 667 since your lowest ram is 667... :)
I would suggest u to just only stick with 2x1gb of ram(800) on just 1 color slots(orange maybe), i don't have the manual for your mobo, so i didn't know exactly it's spec...

roonj

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009
just put them in already, if the system counts up to 3 gigs all is good. I don't know of a system that level that would have a problem. If no go pull the 512's put the 1gigs where the 512's were.

Should be fine. You may of course get lower RAM timings when mixing RAM like that. You may want to use CPU-Z to check what the timings are, and see if you can't adjust them in your BIOS if your RAM supports lower settings than what is currently set.

Solution